Concussion

I had a long chat with the doc this morning...he indicated that "generally" 10 days would be the norm to stay off everything...then start easing back into it while monitoring it.....but with my past history...it seems it could be affecting my recovery time.

The reason i am getting frustrated...i spent a hand full of cash to get to this point...shova entrance fee...22 cadence sessions so far...dietitian...off bike conditioning etc...it is not like i am training to win a race...it is just a personal challenge...so i have decided to step down and take it easy...focus on recovery and weight loss...cadence is paid up...so i am just gona keep up the weekly routine...just at my own pace. 

As other guys have also mentioned above, take it easy.

You have only one noggin and AFAIK the first few tries in brain transplants have not been very successful. (At least the recipients got jobs in government posts all over the world!)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just over 2 weeks...been listening to the body...if anything doesnt feel right ...i stop...yesterday i go back to cadence and attempt a session...dont even get through 1 interval and i am feel out of it...dizzy...stand up to pedal...right foot unclips and almost fall off the bike...sit down and finish off the session at below endurance (slow pedal) ...even though i am eating 100 % healthy food (fruit and veg...no sugar sweets...not even a cheat biscuit...yet my stomach is not feeling great.

edit: chatted to the doctor.

I dont know how I missed this thread.

There are a few things that are important to remember:

1 - concussion is a brain injury - you only have 1 brain.

2 - Concussion is cumulative - so repeated concussions are more severe and take longer to recover from than the original trauma - and multiple concussions often show symptoms/deterioration that only shows up after years

3 - Assessing concussion levels is difficult and it's not a perfect science - so even if a mild concussion is diagnosed then you have to be observant for changes in condition (especially as a parent/partner) and return to be re-assessed if things change in the weeks post diagnosis.

4 - take it seriously - it's important for you and your family and friends.

My rugby playing career was ended by 2 concussions about 2 months apart - the first one was a big knock and spent about 8 hours unconscious- the second knock was about 2 months later and was a relatively small knock - 48 hours in a coma and lost about 6 months of memory completely - didn't even recognize my girlfriend afterwards - and interestingly wasnt remotely attracted to her afterwards at all - memory has never come back but I do remember having to re study half a year inside the rest of the academic year.

Take concussion very seriously - early return to intense training usually is a poor plan - gentle slow and easy are the way to go - and back off immediately at the first sign of symptoms and get re-assessed - the consequences of even a small bleed on the brain are devastating - and you may never fully recover.

Edited by V12man

What v12 said. I get this question a lot. Probably because it's such a grey matter (pun intended). So. Knocks to the head cause a multitude of minor injuries to the tissue inside your skull. And outside. But those for a different day. Injuries range from axon demyelinsation (cables lose their insulation) to axonal death (cables get cut) or neuron death (cells die and never come back). Other tissues such as veins and arteries can sustain micro tears without much clinical symptoms in the beginning. Post concussion syndrome is a vague term and is ever changing in the medical field. Symptoms can range from the dramatic: seizures and antero/retrograde amnesia to the less impressive but still annoying dull persistent headaches, irritability, nausea, mood disorders, forgetfulness, mental slowing, discoordination and even asymptomatic. Whilst all sound bad except the last, I actually think the last is the biggest problem to us hardy sportsmen. Have a concussion. Feel fine. Have another on top of silently healing brain tissue. Bazinga. Massive permanent damage. The 2 to 6 weeks rule is a thumbsuck based on mri/clinical and post mortem evidence. The truth is that neurons/axons can take flippen long to heal up. And some never do. Ask anyone who has had a severed/pinched nerve. The process of nerve healing is slow and and at best take place at the rate of wallerian degeneration (sounds counterintuitive but it's an amazing process).

For me. If I have a concussion. 6 weeks minimum. Gym and stationary trainer. No riding bikes,sparring, rugby etc. The risk of falling on the greenest of routes is so much greater after a concussion

Don't risk it. You only have one brain. And coming from glorious independence to semi dependent status is just tragic if it could have been avoided.

Dont mess with concussions. More importantly. Make sure your significant other knows what to do with you if you have symptoms of one following and event. Ie. Dr+-scan and stay away from bikes for 6weeks if scan comes back as normal.

Edited by PKotze

and then you read about things like CTE(Chronic traumatic encephalopathy) and you really start spending extra on helmets and being more safe...

and then you read about things like CTE(Chronic traumatic encephalopathy) and you really start spending extra on helmets and being more safe...

All helmets (via official channels) comply with the same safety standards, hence they offer the similair protection.

Just make sure to replace your helmet after impacts / falls / age.

Do not to do the following:

• Buy second hand helmets
  • Buy unknown brands
  • Buy helmets that came in via 'unofficial' channels
  • Buy helmets from cheap  (knock-off?) online markets - ali-express / bangood / wish, etc

All helmets (via official channels) comply with the same safety standards, hence they offer the similair protection.

• Buy unknown brands
  • Buy helmets from cheap  (knock-off?) online markets - ali-express / bangood / wish, etc

my helmet (catlike leaf) broke in 3 places so there is no chance that it will ever be used for riding again...been doing so tests in my workshop...i must say these polystyrene helmets are a lot stronger we think.

I will be spending a hand full of cash on a decent helmet again...just not sure which one yet. 

• Buy unknown brands

Similar but not the same.

For me it was more when racing motorbikes, you get helmets and you get helmets. There the quality of the shell, the strap and clip mechanism are important. For racing you are only allowed metal D-ring fastenings no plastic clip straps like you see on almost all mtb helmets, carbon composite shell vs plastic shell etc. 

Did your helmet pass DOT, SNELL and ECE 22.05 or was it just one of the ratings?

What SNELL level is it? SA2015 EA2016?

Like I said more applicable to motorcycles but worth a ponder...

my helmet (catlike leaf) broke in 3 places so there is no chance that it will ever be used for riding again...been doing so tests in my workshop...i must say these polystyrene helmets are a lot stronger we think.

I will be spending a hand full of cash on a decent helmet again...just not sure which one yet. 

The next helmet that I'll be purchasing will deff have MIPS

I have decided to step back from the HIT sessions on tue and thurs mornings...i still go to cadence on these days but just do my own thing...an easy pace in the endurance range...i find if i stay below the blue line i can keep going for a long period of time...without any change...if at any stage i dont feel 100 % and i mean anything changes i stop completely sit up ...drink water and rest for a while...then start again once i feel ok.

what happens if i push myself...i start feeling dizzy and my face gets a tingling feeling and at the back of my eyes...it was just on the right side in the beginning...but seems to ahve moved to the front...what i dont understand is why i dont get headaches...no neck pain or any other concussion related symptoms. 

After explaining the symptoms to my doctor...his response...keep taking the medication... i dont have to stop exercising...just take it easy and stop if i dont feel right...the recovery is taking longer normal...but i have a history of concussions...so it is not surprising.

This is a fact - CTE is a silent killer - make a note in 10 years time - Victor Matfield will be suffering from CTE - and there will be others too.... just attend a reunion of older rugby players and you can hear the many with speech slurring and see motor co-ordination issues - even before the bottles are opened.... :)

I have decided to step back from the HIT sessions on tue and thurs mornings...i still go to cadence on these days but just do my own thing...an easy pace in the endurance range...i find if i stay below the blue line i can keep going for a long period of time...without any change...if at any stage i dont feel 100 % and i mean anything changes i stop completely sit up ...drink water and rest for a while...then start again once i feel ok.

what happens if i push myself...i start feeling dizzy and my face gets a tingling feeling and at the back of my eyes...it was just on the right side in the beginning...but seems to ahve moved to the front...what i dont understand is why i dont get headaches...no neck pain or any other concussion related symptoms. 

After explaining the symptoms to my doctor...his response...keep taking the medication... i dont have to stop exercising...just take it easy and stop if i dont feel right...the recovery is taking longer normal...but i have a history of concussions...so it is not surprising.

His version of 'easy" and yours are probably light years apart.... my view is you should definitely see and get clearance from a Neurologist with concussion experience before doing much more than walking around and sleeping.... you are not doing yourself or your family any favors currently - and my view is that you are not helping your recovery...

One of the key things to remember is that post a concussion, your ability to process information properly is reduced - so you may consider yourself rational and logical and able to make informed decisions etc, but you may well not be... and generally my experience is that when that is the case many very poor decisions are made.

His version of 'easy" and yours are probably light years apart.... my view is you should definitely see and get clearance from a Neurologist with concussion experience before doing much more than walking around and sleeping.... you are not doing yourself or your family any favors currently - and my view is that you are not helping your recovery...

One of the key things to remember is that post a concussion, your ability to process information properly is reduced - so you may consider yourself rational and logical and able to make informed decisions etc, but you may well not be... and generally my experience is that when that is the case many very poor decisions are made.

This. 

Listen to the doctors, Iain. PKotze & V12 both.

Take it easy. That does not mean exercising at a low intensity. That means resting. You're already active enough during working hours. 

On Thursday night i decided to take a break from all training/cycling for 7 days...if the symptoms do not improve...i am going to get a second opinion.

I would quit all training until you are cleared by a neurologist, as V12 said. You are playing with fire next to a leaking gas tank. I was there where you find yourself now. More than 2 years later, and I still have the after effects. It gets better, but expecting change in 7 days is over optimistic to the point of being absurd.

Go see the neurologist and / or neurosurgeon.

I apologise if I come across as harsh, but seriously, I can't stress enough how important this is.

Concussion is not something to be lax about. Think of your family / wife / kids. Then decide if cycling is more important?

I went OTB through the 180 on S2C on the down day 2 into the valley 2 years ago. Was out for few seconds. Got up, finished the day and S2C.

Did not feel well after. Went to sports doc - cracked rib, broken cheek bone, mild concussion. Ordered of bike for 3 weeks. No argument.

Don't mess with your computer - you can't replace it.

Edited by Warthog

I don't know why there should still be any more discussion around this. You've all heard medical opinion - from here and directly from a doc. If your brain is at risk following an injury (even the most inconsequential), your risk is EXPONENTIALLY elevated for significant damage on the next hit.

But that's people for you. That is why even after all the evidence of the awful consequences of so many bad actions (smoking, excessive booze, speeding, using cellphones while driving, etc., etc.) so many people still believe that those consequences won't happen to them and therefore carry on. Even if there will be a massive negative impact on their loved ones.

I have been known to throw my hands in the air after pleading to some of my patients to change their destructive behaviour and exclaim: "Then do what you want, but park the blame of any consequences in front of your own door only!"

Rant off...