Football

IceCreamMan

It doesn't strengthen the whole league equally - take the three relegated teams as an example who this year set a new record low for combined points (76). That is a number that is falling year on year (111 was the total in 2011).

Something is very wrong when the gap is that wide.

Look there is no doubting that the gap is getting bigger... the gap is getting bigger from the top 4 to the rest too.. and I understand your arguments.. I am still interested to hear your views on the questions I asked. Edited by Gen

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Global Growth mean higher revenue collected from TV rights etc from Broadcasters outside of Eng... it is why the PL teams each are getting £79.4m from the equal split alone.. would you rather have lower quality football where anyone can win it or have bragging rights that all European finals are to be contested by PL teams.. this would not be achievable without the money.. the home grown talent would move abroad and the foreign talent wouldn't go and play in the PL

It is just a question... I am interested in hearing your views on it.

What I like about FFP is that because players sale prices are so ridiculously high and star players demand such high salaries is that clubs have no other option but to invest more in their youth and we will see more home grown players graduating to first teams and not spend a significant part of their careers out on loan or just disappearing completely.

2 sources of main money coming into EPL

- foreign rich dudes, no guarantee that will happen forever

- TV rights, hugely lucrative now, but again no guarantee that will happen the way it is. The players are basically paid by TV subcriptions. Pretty soon i think the knock on effect of DSTV=>supersport=>SA sportsmen is going to see some serious changes locally.

I think pro sport are at the peak of their earnings, down the line they will not be getting as much relatively. I just don't see a way around live streaming technology not taking revenue away from the financial input.

Start with getting the name right.[emoji2957]

VAR has sorted out diving in Serie A.. ask Ronaldo.. it will get better in the PL from next season too.

hence the font

if that is correct about VAR, then a huge step in the right direction. Do they still try and argue with the ref to reverse decisions (a 0.00000% chance of success)

2 sources of main money coming into EPL

- foreign rich dudes, no guarantee that will happen forever

- TV rights, hugely lucrative now, but again no guarantee that will happen the way it is. The players are basically paid by TV subcriptions. Pretty soon i think the knock on effect of DSTV=>supersport=>SA sportsmen is going to see some serious changes locally.

I think pro sport are at the peak of their earnings, down the line they will not be getting as much relatively. I just don't see a way around live streaming technology not taking revenue away from the financial input.

For sure traditional broadcasters will have to either adjust or become absolute..

Agreed it is the peak of earning now.. no ways these kind of expenditure will be sustainable for much longer.

hence the font

if that is correct about VAR, then a huge step in the right direction. Do they still try and argue with the ref to reverse decisions (a 0.00000% chance of success)

Hey not really.. there is always a bit of arguing with refs.. nothing like the past and nothing worse than in the PL.. they started dishing out straight reds ..so it is getting better too.

VAR also doesn't always get it right.. but the diving is def less in the league.. it is actually less than in PL.. from what I saw this year..goals from offsides that would have stood before don't anymore.. hell Juve had a goal disallowed during one game because of a foul a Juventus player made (in our own half) in the build up to the goal..

There was an incident early in the season when a penalty decision went to VAR and the ref still upheld his decision..(it was the wrong decision ) the monday morning a review was done and said ref was fined and suspended for 2/3 weeks.

VAR is good for the sport IMO

. There is too much at stake for incorrect call determining results. They should just simplify it.

But for all the flaws Serie A has and had.. it is the passions that drives it..it is a way of life..the build up to derbies.. the incredible fan art, the noise, the club anthems, hell even captains and club presidents meeting with ultras when results aren't going well. It is part of the reason why I love that league so much.

Edited by Gen

So the new rules from 1 June 2019..

Handball.

Goal will be disallowed if there is contact with the hand or arm..even if accidental that includes the build up to the goal.

Anything above shoulder = handball unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touched the hand or arm.

When touches arm or hand which made their body unnaturally bigger.

No handball if player falls down (slides) and ball touches arm/hand unless makes his body unnaturally bigger.

No handball if hand or arm is close to the body..

No hand ball if it comes off players head /foot onto arm or hand or off another player close by.

Of course all deliberate handling is still handball.

Subs, player will leave the field from his nearest touchline (avoids time wasting)

Team official misconduct will get yellow and red cards.

Free kicks, no attacking team players can not stand in the wall and must be at least 1m away.

Defending team free kick in penalty area, ball is in at once the kick is taken..it does not need to leave the penalty area first..(faster restarts).. same applies to goal kicks.

Edited by Gen

So the new rules

Handball.

Goal will be disallowed if there is contact with the hand or arm..even if accidental that includes the build up to the goal.

Anything above shoulder = handball unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touched the hand or arm.

When touches arm or hand which made their body unnaturally bigger.

No handball if player falls down (slides) and ball touches arm/hand unless makes his body unnaturally bigger.

No handball if hand or arm is close to the body..

No hand ball if it comes off players head /foot onto arm or hand or off another player close by.

Of course all deliberate handling is still handball.

Subs, player will leave the field from his nearest touchline (avoids time wasting)

Team official misconduct will get yellow and red cards.

Free kicks, no attacking team players can not stand in the wall and must be at least 1m away.

Defending team free kick in penalty area, ball is in at once the kick is taken..it does not need to leave the penalty area first..(faster restarts).. same applies to goal kicks.

These are some quite radical changes...

These are some quite radical changes...

Positive changes IMO esp regarding the handball rule, it is more clear and while still some interpretation (like what is unnaturally big) it has better guidelines.

They are also trying to speed things up when it comes to goal kicks and cutting out that crap that happens on the wall with team shoving each other for position and disrupting the wall.

Very happy about the sub one... that takes out time wasting subs tactic out of it.

This comes into effect on 1/6.. so teams playing CL final must familiarise themselves with them and do so fast.

Edited by Gen

Gen.............Coppa Italia tonight !

Lets hope Atalanta take it..................( I assume you also hate lazio )

Lol, “hate” is such a strong word... ;-)

Damn straight I do... Forza Atalanta.!! Edited by Gen

Positive changes IMO esp regarding the handball rule, it is more clear and while still some interpretation (like what is unnaturally big) it has better guidelines.

They are also trying to speed things up when it comes to goal kicks and cutting out that crap that happens on the wall with team shoving each other for position and disrupting the wall.

Very happy about the sub one... that takes out time wasting subs tactic out of it.

This comes into effect on 1/6.. so teams playing CL final must familiarise themselves with them and do so fast.

Manager "Dave, Dave! Centre circle now!"

Stadium announcer "Substitution, number 7 David..."

Start with getting the name right.[emoji2957]

VAR has sorted out diving in Serie A.. ask Ronaldo.. it will get better in the PL from next season too.

For sure when it is time to call a career you call it.. but I just feel that long standing players should be able to do it in their own terms and it should def be handled better than how they handled De Rossi's situation. Even at his age he was always instrumental when he was on the pitch.. ask Barca..

It is odd how it swings so much from one side to the other.

Fans basically have a nervous breakdown when a player won't sign a new contract, often seeing it as disrespectful to the club and a nasty sign of player power.

The same fans won't bat an eye when the club decides a player is no longer good enough or part of their plans and doesn't renew the contract.

Basically we are all hypocrites.

Damn, what a game.......feck after all the champions league stuff I thought I would be jaded but no, I still grip my seat and the result is meaningless to me in reality