What bike do you ride? And how far? Commuting

Trying2Tri

26km one way...ride 5 days a week...no matter the weather...unless it snows which sometimes does happen where we live. 

Bike was: Specialized Langster single speed

Bike now: Cube Hyde Race (belt drive :thumbup: )

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

16 km (200m climb) per day with some longer detours in summer.

Kona Unit SS MTB

nice bike choice!

Going to start communing from Hout Bay to Northgate Business Park (Paarden Eiland) soon.

Drove around yesterday working out how to get there without too many kms on the road and I think I have found a nice route going via Lisbeck Parkaway and then riding next to the M5 on the greenbelt.  Not to sure about crime on that route?

Only thing missing from the puzzle is a gravel bike....

Commute everyday, regardless of the weather.  Never been to my office in my car, will not know the best route to take...  LOL

Depending on my training program the distance and time could vary.  Sometimes I will go to the Blockhouse, or up Signal Hill via the jeep-track, or up via Kloof.  Some days I go to Campsbay, but mostly I average about 50 to 70kms per day.  

Coffee stop is a must because I @rideforcoffee!

I have a specially build commuter, and for the days I go off-road I will take my 27.5 hard-tail. 

Some days the motorists must look at me, think "Wow, I would love to be him", some days they mus be thinking "Eish, glad I am not him", but there is NEVER a day that I am thinking "Wow, wish I was in my car!" 

Let's Ride!

I used to commute with whatever bike I have. Mongoose Tyax (heavy as ****) road bike, Santa Cruz highball c, and these days when I commute i use my monstercross.  

Drive through to Cape Town on a Monday with my bike in the  vehicle  and clothes for the rest of the week .Commute from work to home every day which gives me 21km one way. Friday afternoons I drive my vehicle back to home( in the terrible traffic)  and start the whole process over again on Monday.

We have a shower at work which makes a huge difference.Recently   bought a Giant TSX SLR which is so must faster than the  hard tail .Just love the bike .

My fuel bill dropped substantially and most importantly, I do not have to face the Cape Town traffic anymore . 

I try and stay mostly on pavements and cycle paths which means that I have to accommodate pedestrians  which I do not mind . Avoiding the Cape Town traffic is a HUGE benefit apart from the good base miles that I rack up every week. 

Commute everyday, regardless of the weather.  Never been to my office in my car, will not know the best route to take...  LOL

Depending on my training program the distance and time could vary.  Sometimes I will go to the Blockhouse, or up Signal Hill via the jeep-track, or up via Kloof.  Some days I go to Campsbay, but mostly I average about 50 to 70kms per day.  

Coffee stop is a must because I @rideforcoffee!

I have a specially build commuter, and for the days I go off-road I will take my 27.5 hard-tail. 

Some days the motorists must look at me, think "Wow, I would love to be him", some days they mus be thinking "Eish, glad I am not him", but there is NEVER a day that I am thinking "Wow, wish I was in my car!" 

Let's Ride!

Never has a more statement been made ...  Have had many days waiting for a train or bus here thinking "Where is my bike now".

I Commute twice a week between my workshop and home. In the morning I take the shortest route to the shop and that is 7km's. In the afternoons I take a couple of detours and usually end up round about 25km's. So that's more or less 65 km's per week. I Use my old school Nishiki Altron :thumbup: . I've traveled more miles with this bike than a lot of people have with their cars. 

post-62204-0-59036700-1534774401_thumb.jpeg

My daily commute started 2x weeks ago and is 26km per day.

Using a gravel bike (trek checkpoint) and absolutely loving it! 

Archived