New to MTB - Confused

JS1

JS1 jy het seker nou al agtergekom die band-grootte is net so groot soos party se egos ...  :devil:

JA, n 29'' ry "makliker" op trails .... 

Ek het juis n 27,5'' gekoop vir my commute fiets omdat dit soveel goedkoper was !!  30% afslag op n splinternuwe fiets net omdat soveel mense liewer n 29'' wil ry ....  Vir my was dit die geld werd !  Ek sal hopelik baie jare se diens uit die commuter kry.  En op teer maak dit vir my geen verskil nie.

Dan nou weer, ek is 1,76m lank.  Dus net mooi op die sny punt tussen M en L raam groottes tussen die verskillende vervaardigers.  Ek kan n 29'' gemaklik ry, maar voel nie "te groot" op n 27.5'' nie.

so waar wil jy ry ?  dit sal bepaal of die band-grootte enigsins n faktor is vir jou.  En as jy "rustig" gaan ry sal jy waarskynlik nie eens die verskil agterkom nie .....

hoe lank is jy ?  Is jy dalk te groot vir n 26'' fiets ?

MAAR, onthou ook - jy kan nou n 26'' of 27,5'' heelwat goedkoper kry juis omdat dit ongewild is ... MAAR, jy gaan ook meer sukkel om dit weer te verkoop wanneer jy n nuwer fiets wil koop ....

miskien .... koop nou die goedkoper opsie (kleiner bande), spaar die geld, en kyk oor n jaar of dit jou sport is ....  daar is BAIE "top model" fietse wat agter in n garage staan en stof opgaar omdat die eienaar die beste gekoop het lank voor hy regtig seker was of dit sy sport is ....

voorspoed met jou keuses.  :thumbup:   :whistling:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JS1 jy het seker nou al agtergekom die band-grootte is net so groot soos party se egos ...  :devil:

JA, n 29'' ry "makliker" op trails .... 

Ek het juis n 27,5'' gekoop vir my commute fiets omdat dit soveel goedkoper was !!  30% afslag op n splinternuwe fiets net omdat soveel mense liewer n 29'' wil ry ....  Vir my was dit die geld werd !  Ek sal hopelik baie jare se diens uit die commuter kry.  En op teer maak dit vir my geen verskil nie.

Dan nou weer, ek is 1,76m lank.  Dus net mooi op die sny punt tussen M en L raam groottes tussen die verskillende vervaardigers.  Ek kan n 29'' gemaklik ry, maar voel nie "te groot" op n 27.5'' nie.

so waar wil jy ry ?  dit sal bepaal of die band-grootte enigsins n faktor is vir jou.  En as jy "rustig" gaan ry sal jy waarskynlik nie eens die verskil agterkom nie .....

hoe lank is jy ?  Is jy dalk te groot vir n 26'' fiets ?

MAAR, onthou ook - jy kan nou n 26'' of 27,5'' heelwat goedkoper kry juis omdat dit ongewild is ... MAAR, jy gaan ook meer sukkel om dit weer te verkoop wanneer jy n nuwer fiets wil koop ....

miskien .... koop nou die goedkoper opsie (kleiner bande), spaar die geld, en kyk oor n jaar of dit jou sport is ....  daar is BAIE "top model" fietse wat agter in n garage staan en stof opgaar omdat die eienaar die beste gekoop het lank voor hy regtig seker was of dit sy sport is ....

voorspoed met jou keuses.  :thumbup:   :whistling:

Wat beteken "te groot vir n 26 fiets"? Ek verstaan dit nie.

JS1, welkom by die Hub. Ek wil beslis nie negatief wees nie, maar as jy nou confused is, wag todat jy begin met upgrades. En wees versigtig wat se vrae jy vra op n Vrydag.

Damn I feel cheated no-one told me that 26ers were dead.

I had better stop having great rides on my 26 Giant Trance as it oviousely does not make any sense.

OP which area are you in or better still do you have an idea of what type of riding you might be doing most often. The type of riding usually determines the wheel size best suited.

Your height determines the frame size not the wheel size.

To others please remind all the riders of the PAST that there was no way they could have had fun riding their 26ers.

Nothing wrong with the 26inch. Personally Im a Scott man all the way. They just feel like part of you when riding. Regardless of which bike you choose, welcome to this amazing sport! By choosing to ride youv already made a great decision. A nice bike is just a bonus..

Hooray! Sense on a Friday!

Tyres can be a bit of a hack to find though.

That's what the hub is for. Struggled a few months ago and within days of posting I had a link to  an online shop at very reasonable prices, and a Conti dealer contacting me, also at a very good price  :clap:

Wat beteken "te groot vir n 26 fiets"? Ek verstaan dit nie.

Het jy al gesien hoe LANG manne "bo-op" n 29'' fiets sit ?

MEESTE volwassenes kan net so maklik n 26 as n 29 gebruik .... maar partykeer begin die fiets darem klein lyk, soveel te meer as dit kleiner wiele het.

rubbish, it's exactly this attitude that makes a 2nd hand 26inch bike a great deal.

Depending on the bike and fit, The best bike for your budget could well be a 26inch bike.

No doubt the 26" will save money now. However, it will cost you in the long run and not only in money but time also. Peddaling a larger will size will get you further along the for the same power so more can be done with less time. I have not seen a 26" tire hanging in a local bike shop in a while, never mind if you happen to buckle your wheels I had that nightmare the last couple of months which prompted me to upgrade wheel size.

If you want to save money, put it in your bank until you can afford a bike you can keep for a while.

No doubt the 26" will save money now. However, it will cost you in the long run and not only in money but time also. Peddaling a larger will size will get you further along the for the same power so more can be done with less time. I have not seen a 26" tire hanging in a local bike shop in a while, never mind if you happen to buckle your wheels I had that nightmare the last couple of months which prompted me to upgrade wheel size.

If you want to save money, put it in your bank until you can afford a bike you can keep for a while.

do you REALLY believe this ?  :eek:   :oops:

shame, kids on 20'' bikes must really suffer ....  :devil:

thankfully we, well most of us, have gears on our bikes .... and even SS riders dont use more energy\power, they just spin much more than others ..

do you REALLY believe this ? :eek: :oops:

It's proven science not about me believing anything. The suffering is up to you I don't say you suffer if you ride smaller wheels, it's just less efficient no matter what gear you are in.

shame, kids on 20'' bikes must really suffer .... :devil:

thankfully we, well most of us, have gears on our bikes .... and even SS riders dont use more energy\power, they just spin much more than others ..

do you REALLY believe this ?  :eek:   :oops:

shame, kids on 20'' bikes must really suffer ....  :devil:

Its proven science not about me believing anything. I didn't say riding smaller wheels make you suffer, it's just less efficient.

Its proven science not about me believing anything. I didn't say riding smaller wheels make you suffer, it's just less efficient.

And the pro-26 guys all ignore the most vital part of your post: serviceability of 26 wheels. While you find some shops still catering for the wheel size, it is predominantly for more aggressive rubber and wider rims for DH / trial bikes, and these shops get less and less stock in. Weigh up the discount vs additional cost and inconvenience to service the smaller wheels and then decide accordingly.

And the pro-26 guys all ignore the most vital part of your post: serviceability of 26 wheels. While you find some shops still catering for the wheel size, it is predominantly for more aggressive rubber and wider rims for DH / trial bikes, and these shops get less and less stock in. Weigh up the discount vs additional cost and inconvenience to service the smaller wheels and then decide accordingly.

It's very much a SA thing though.. Still plenty of 26 supplies here in Ireland

Its proven science not about me believing anything. I didn't say riding smaller wheels make you suffer, it's just less efficient.

Of course it is... Basic science. When I was training with my cycling partner I was consistently faster than him and then he upgraded to 29 and suddenly we were on a par and I even found myself needing to work harder to keep up with him

Edited by Stretch

It's very much a SA thing though.. Still plenty of 26 supplies here in Ireland

looking at a 26'' for the kid .... enough options around.

Okay, enough options in the entry level spec around.  As this will be a short term kids bike I did not look for top end bikes.

Yes, more options in 29.  But 26 aint "dead" ... and looking at all the brand new 26'' at the SPUR schools league it is far from "gone" .....

It depends on the cost of that service.

My Trance recently had a service for almost 10k. The XTC's service was a bit cheaper at 3k. What's the condition of the fork, the tyres, the chainrings, the brakes, the tyres.

This is the most shocking post in this thread - TEN GRAND???!!!! Did you gold plate the bike?