Bike Sizes on The Hub  

216 members have voted

1. 1. What size bike do you ride?

• XS (Extra Small)
    • S (Small)
    • M (Medium)
    • L (Large)
    • XL (Extra Large)

Brands differ so much on size my spez stumpjumper, rocky mountain vertex, giant XTC and sc highball all where medium they all around 18" GT'S Zaskar small i measured at 18" my FSI was a large, sc tallboy 1 and 2 where large and fit like a glove and my current Scott Scale is a large flat and long. I am 177cm but have short legs. I think best selling size would be medium but that's just what I have noticed when selling my bikes.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting results indeed! In the 103 members who voted, only 1 (less than 1%) rides an XS bike! Large bikes seem to be the most used, and in that spirit I'll just get myself a Large 29" for my next bike and spare myself the selling blues in the future :)

I''ll probably be able to move the Trance for 18K as well. Not the end of the world. Like I said, I don't really have a choice. It needs to be gone asap or it will end up in storage for the foreseeable future :(

Interesting results indeed! In the 103 members who voted, only 1 (less than 1%) rides an XS bike! Large bikes seem to be the most used, and in that spirit I'll just get myself a Large 29" for my next bike and spare myself the selling blues in the future :)

I''ll probably be able to move the Trance for 18K as well. Not the end of the world. Like I said, I don't really have a choice. It needs to be gone asap or it will end up in storage for the foreseeable future :(

188cm. XL MTB and 60cm Road bike. I would like to be on a L MTB and 58cm Road bike (they just look better) but tried both before and just felt cramped.

1.88m, riding a Large Giant, but I would have been on an XL if it was a Spez. Different brands have slightly different size ranges.

189cm, XL Spez - was previously on a Large Scott.  Always felt cramped on the Scott, my height kind of put me in between the L and XL in the Scott range, and I think the shop tried to flog the Large and at that point I didn't know enough about bike sizes to dispute their recommendation.
Road Bike is a 56cm - don't think it is exactly the right size for me, but I ride it less than 5 times a year so don't really mind.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a wonderful poll and question and one I'd like some help with too. Please. What are your suggestions for a 2m wanting to get into mtb riding? Your poll has excluded XXL bikes of which I know of one available to me. No one really wants to hold stock of one in case it doesn't sell. So in my budget and predicament I have two options. GT Avalanche XL or merida big nine 500 XXL. The XXL would be a keeper as I haven't seen anything XXL for sale in the classifieds. The motivation for the XL is riding something more compact and perhaps maneuverable in tight zones. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

This is a wonderful poll and question and one I'd like some help with too. Please. What are your suggestions for a 2m wanting to get into mtb riding? Your poll has excluded XXL bikes of which I know of one available to me. No one really wants to hold stock of one in case it doesn't sell. So in my budget and predicament I have two options. GT Avalanche XL or merida big nine 500 XXL. The XXL would be a keeper as I haven't seen anything XXL for sale in the classifieds. The motivation for the XL is riding something more compact and perhaps maneuverable in tight zones. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

A number of posters ride bigger or smaller than what would be deemed normal. How you feel on the bike is the priority rather than trying to stick to traditional sizing alone.

All my bikes are XL except my Fuji MTB which is marked as M/L yet this feels like the largest of the lot. 

Focus, yet don't focus, on the designation of frame size. One company's large is another's XL. Check the geo on both, then decide. 

Focus, yet don't focus, on the designation of frame size. One company's large is another's XL. Check the geo on both, then decide.

Road bike sizing is mostly pretty standard but mtb differences are crazy.

Can be a small or large depending on brand and how they measure.

Does the geometry make all the difference? Is it the be all and end all? The merida top tube is 650. The GT 610. Reach for merida 445. Not given for GT. Seat tube merida 560. GT 521. Stand over height merida 843 GT 831. There are differences, but will they affect the riding and comfort? What I didn't ask earlier was at what point do you think you are too far over front wheel, as in, if I took a longer stem for the max reach, am I not compromising being over the front of the bike?

Does the geometry make all the difference? Is it the be all and end all? The merida top tube is 650. The GT 610. Reach for merida 445. Not given for GT. Seat tube merida 560. GT 521. Stand over height merida 843 GT 831. There are differences, but will they affect the riding and comfort? What I didn't ask earlier was at what point do you think you are too far over front wheel, as in, if I took a longer stem for the max reach, am I not compromising being over the front of the bike?

Absolutely. makes a huge difference. That GT top tube measurement is shorter than my bike's top tube by 40mm and I'm 1.8m. My normal approach to stem length is that if you need to run a stem longer than 70mm you're on a bike that's too small for you, for particularly that reason you highlight above. Gives you such a bad position for confidence when pointing down unless your skills enable you to overcome that.

You will NOT be comfortable on the GT. far too small for you. Finish en kla. As for that "extra extra large" Merida... How the heck is that considered XXL?!

Only measurement I can see that warrants that is the set tube measurement. Everything else is in large / xl territory. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

You need the Largest Size of the bike you choose to buy (XXL) 22-23 inch frame otherwise will be cramped in the cockpit.

Edited by dasilvarsa