Carbon Wheel Damage

karnuffel

Just out of interest, which Thule towbar rack did you use and was the exhaust actually aligned with the wheels or sitting below them?

I take my carbon wheels on seriously long rides on the towbar rack...  It's a 3 series so sits much lower than your GLA, but I'm not certain how that would translate to exhaust height.  Maybe I'll take the wheels off in future

I have one of these thule clip-on racks: 

https://www.thule.com/en/za/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-xpress-2-_-970000

The bike wheel was around 45cm away from the exhaust and probably slightly above the height of the outlet. I thought it was a rather big gap, took me a while to figure out what happened. I arrived at the race around 6am and it was dark, thought I had a flat on my tubeless tire and put in a tube and pumped it up - sun came out and I saw the rim, miserable drive back home.

I now put the whole bike in the car, probably better with all the theft issues at races lately!

I would send the pics to Nick at http://www.wheelbuilder.co.za/ or if you are in Jhb go and see him.

He really knows his stuff (just built a set of Carbon Road Wheels for me) and I have no doubt he would be able to give you a good idea of what happened.

Maybe do it before you go and see Token - just so that you go there a bit more prepared.

So it doesn't look like impact or heat damage to me - there's no typical bulging or strange deformity. I'd go for a warranty claim.

• 2 months later...

Just an update (albeit a bit late).

The guys from Token were great.  They sent me a replacement rim.  I am super grateful for the way that Warren handled the issue.

I still dont know what happened here, but Im back on the road and I cant be happier. 

The guys from Token were great.  They sent me a replacement rim.  I am super grateful for the way that Warren handled the issue.

I still dont know what happened here, but Im back on the road and I cant be happier. 

Amazing to know, trying to convince a Savage to pull trigger on set of token rims. This makes it easier to convince them

lucky you... i had something similar with a Token C50 and was told it wasnt their issue... R5k later got me a new rim... this was back in 2015 so maybe they do business differently now.

post-67394-0-31735700-1542194628_thumb.jpg

Press down on the affected area with your thumb.

Does it feel spongy or hard?

Spongy = mechanical damage like an impact

Hard = melted

This is not always the case, I've seen a few spongy/de-laminated rimes from  exhaust damage. This mainly occurs on turbo cars as the EGT's are higher. This is compounded when going up hill and to maintain your speed you depress the accelerator further rather than gearing down.

Edited by Spoke101

you very lucky!

i had to replace a csixx XM mtb rim after they claimed exhaust damage. irony is that the rim in question wasnt even on the same side as the exhaust, bike was on the furtherest mount on a thule 3 bike rack and the trip that apparently did the damage was less than 5mins long.

you definitely got out of jail, blaming exhausts seems to be the go to excuse to repudiate any claim these days

Warren is a decent guy. Glad you came right. 

• 3 months later...

This is not always the case, I've seen a few spongy/de-laminated rimes from  exhaust damage. This mainly occurs on turbo cars as the EGT's are higher. This is compounded when going up hill and to maintain your speed you depress the accelerator further rather than gearing down.

Lekker Jamo

The guys from Token were great. They sent me a replacement rim. I am super grateful for the way that Warren handled the issue.

They sent a replacement rim. Does that mean you had to cover the cost of the build yourself?

• 3 weeks later...

They sent a replacement rim. Does that mean you had to cover the cost of the build yourself?

Apologies for the late reply.  No the guys from Token covered the cost to build the wheel.

Apologies for the late reply. No the guys from Token covered the cost to build the wheel.

That's pretty impressive. Many distributors in the cycling industry would have left it to you to cover that cost.