Rapide 25mm 29r SL wheelset

Chris NewbyFraser

i feel your pain, i have had similar issues with certain tyre brand; seating them as well as keeping them inflated. i had to reseat the conti's i have on at the moment about 3 times, almost used up the medium sized bottle of stans!

im getting one of those pumps with the reservoir, the Lezyne Overdrive

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/pump/products/lezyne-pressure-overdrive-tank-pump

are you saying these pumps are not as effective as they proclaim it to be? you might just save me a couple of bob...

another question: are you saying your struggles to seat the tyre is a Rapide Rim issue, or a 25mm wide rim issue?

I was thinking about this thread yesterday.

I am doing a full service of my bike, so also took off the tires to clean out old sealant etc. I have a Rapide 25mm rear rim.

Getting the tire back on was a SOB, and seating the tire on this rim is a real bastard. My reservoir pump didn’t work, went through about 3 big CO2 canisters before I got it right. Now it is still not holding air, looks to be leaking around the bead.

I have had to get this rim re-taped after a few months, and the original taping was don’t by Nick the Wheelbuilder who knows his stuff. It started leaking through the spoke nipples which is why I re-taped it. It is a bastard to tape, I could not get it right myself and I haven’t struggled before with other rims.

I am seriously considering chucking this rim. I do not like things that are unnecessarily maintenance intensive, and I don’t want to not do my regular maintenance because I am scared I won’t get the tire to re-seat.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ja i echo your questing. i never struggle to install and seat Maxxis tyres, Vitoria Saguaro on the other hand....

Which is the culprit , tire or rim ?

I have found that the quality of the tire makes a huge huge difference in seating a new tubeless tire.

I have found that the quality of the tire makes a huge huge difference in seating a new tubeless tire.

The bigger the tyre problem is to seat, the bigger the tyre lever needed to seat  it :P

It is the rim, struggled with Specialized Fast Trak and now Maxxiss Ikon.

I got a set of Rapide 30mm wheels about a month ago, could not be happier, they really changed the way my bike feels, it is better in every aspect, I would not hesitate on another set for the price.

As far as seating goes, have had no issues at all, tires seated very easily, and dont lose pressure

p i e l e........ your comment is really reassuring! 

I got a set of Rapide 30mm wheels about a month ago, could not be happier, they really changed the way my bike feels, it is better in every aspect, I would not hesitate on another set for the price.

As far as seating goes, have had no issues at all, tires seated very easily, and dont lose pressure

Edited by gemmerbal

Getting the tire back on was a SOB, and seating the tire on this rim is a real bastard. My reservoir pump didn’t work, went through about 3 big CO2 canisters before I got it right. Now it is still not holding air, looks to be leaking around the bead.

I take it you screw out the valve core before you try and inflate it ?

Either way, I just take my wheels to the local BP and use their air. Works a treat.

I have a set of 25mm Rapide wheels - used on my gravel bike. Great wheels, no tubeless issues. I use Gorilla Tape (from builders) to seal the rim.

I managed to seat the tyres only using my floor pump - WTB 700 x 42c.

Man, so my service entailed replacing all pivot bearings, bleeding brakes, replacing rotors, changing cables and housings and putting on new esi grips, all done myself. Then I get stymied by a tire, flat again this evening. That rims days are numbered.

Man, so my service entailed replacing all pivot bearings, bleeding brakes, replacing rotors, changing cables and housings and putting on new esi grips, all done myself. Then I get stymied by a tire, flat again this evening. That rims days are numbered.

Pump it hard then submerge the tyre bit by bit in a pool or other large enough water container till you find the actual problem and solve that!

Pump it hard then submerge the tyre bit by bit in a pool or other large enough water container till you find the actual problem and solve that!

I found my wife's bike leak like that.

Had the same dilemma. Went from PXC2 on an old anthem to wanting a new set... Black Friday had me held to ransom on a sizeable discount...

Endded up choosing the 30mm. I'm heavy (115kg),and also read about the concerns of going too wide, but at the same time, 5 years ago everyone was saying 25mm is too wide so I dunno.

I'm running saguaro rear and barzo front. They fit like a dream, inflated with a track pump, and the rims have been solid since. Absolutely live the way they feel, and while I likely don't push this combo to the max, have never had more cornering grip and control as I do now... Confidence is sky high...

I was assured during research that 30mm was too wide... The tyres side knobs would run out of grip before I ran out of talent, they said... But they don't. They're great. Do it.

Ja im also around 105kgs. Had a big off late last year, no serious injuries but took a proper tumble and ive been nervy as hell eversince, so much so that i do most of my rides on tarmac on my donkey. Ive got Conti Mountainkings 2,2 on, very aggressive tyre in my view, coming from Maxxis Ardent, and the handling has been very twitchy, or maybe its just me being a nervous nelly. Either way, im sold on the 30mm Rapides. Just waiting to see what happens now at work, this is my bonus month and all, but after Cyril’s speech, it will be interesting to see what happens at work tomorrow. I was so looking forward to getting a new set of wheels, lets hope there’s still a chance!

Had the same dilemma. Went from PXC2 on an old anthem to wanting a new set... Black Friday had me held to ransom on a sizeable discount...

Endded up choosing the 30mm. I'm heavy (115kg),and also read about the concerns of going too wide, but at the same time, 5 years ago everyone was saying 25mm is too wide so I dunno.

I'm running saguaro rear and barzo front. They fit like a dream, inflated with a track pump, and the rims have been solid since. Absolutely live the way they feel, and while I likely don't push this combo to the max, have never had more cornering grip and control as I do now... Confidence is sky high...

I was assured during research that 30mm was too wide... The tyres side knobs would run out of grip before I ran out of talent, they said... But they don't. They're great. Do it.

Just checked the clearances, looks fine i reckon? About 10mm between tyre edge and chain/seat stays. More on the fork. Thats with my current setup of the 22mm Big Nine Pro D rims and Conti Mountainkings 2,2 front and back. Should be fine, what do you reckon?

how does the tyre clearance look on your frame by the way?

Just checked the clearances, looks fine i reckon? About 10mm between tyre edge and chain/seat stays. More on the fork. Thats with my current setup of the 22mm Big Nine Pro D rims and Conti Mountainkings 2,2 front and back. Should be fine, what do you reckon?

I've found the egde to edge dimensions don't change, it's more the shape of the tyre and the contact patch itself... You'll be fine.