[Event] Yzerfontein Cycle Experience

iloveyzer

Event Name: Yzerfontein Cycle Experience
When: 3 November 2018
Where: Yzerfontein, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Its back!!! The Blue Ribbon Yzerfontein Cycle Experience returns to our backyard, Yzerfontein on Saturday the 3rd of November. As with the previous two years, the cycle event will be complemented by an array of local stalls and entertainers, bringing a festival-like atmosphere to the town of Yzerfontein. Feedback from the race last year was incredibly positive, with the competitors enjoying the flat, fast, non-technical route. The veteran cyclists enjoyed the fast 78km training ride, and the less experienced , and more relaxed bunch took advantage of the 52km route, both routes being unique in that they are not open to the public, and run through the beautiful West Coast National Park.

Starting from the main beach parking area in Yzerfontein, the competitors will wind their way out of the town, onto the R315, and will turn off onto the Blombosch road which will take them into the West Coast National Park. The Park Manager, Pierre Nel, has generously approved a route which takes the cyclists on private jeep tracks through the splendid nature which the West Coast has to offer. On the return route there is a mixture of tar and jeep track which leads back to the finish line at the main beach, where competitors will receive a medal, a Coca Cola, and an exceptional Premier Goodie Bag.

This is not just any race, we are uplifting the community, and proceeds will benefit the international Police Forum, the Jenna Lowe Trust and Reach for a Dream Foundation. All three beneficiaries will be available on the day to talk to interested parties about their organisations and the work they do.

ROUTE DESCRIPTION

78 KM

yy

38km will be tar (50%) and the rest will be jeep track.

yy

Very little sand.

yy

Great spot to turn around at the beach lookout place.

yy

Lots of ostriches, tortoises, flamingos and eland spotted.

52 KM

yy

50% will be tar and 50 % will be jeep track.

yy

Very little sand.

yy

This will be a flat route for the fit non-technical riders.

yy

Lots of ostriches, tortoises, flamingos and eland spotted.

The distances include a 5km neutral zone from the finish to the venue.

YOUR ENTRY FEE INCLUDES

yy

Exceptional Goodie Bags by Premier for all entrants.

yy

Access to all race facilities.

yy

2 water points sponsored by Premier along the route in the West Coast National Park.

yy

Finisher Medals for all participants.

yy

Gourmet Food Stalls, Local Craft Stalls, Kids Activities, Live Music at the Yzerfontein Recreational Club throughout the day.

yy

Rider Discount on accommodation bookings in Yzerfontein for the weekend (see www.yzerce.co.za for participating venues)

yy

To stand a chance to win fabulous prizes in our lucky draw stay until 14:30

REGISTRATION

Online entries will close at 15:00 on Thursday, 1 Nov 2018. You may enter on the day.

yy

Friday, 2 Nov, Yzerfontein Community Hall, 16:00 – 20:00.

yy

Saturday, 3 Nov, Yzerfontein Community Hall, from 05:30.

yy

Be ready for race start around 07:00.

PLEASE NOTE

yy

Remember to display your PPA MTB frame number.

yy

No helmet, no ride.

yy

No transponder, no time.

The event is sanctioned by the Pedal Power Organisation. As such, cyclists can be assured that route markings and safety arrangements adhere to the Association’s requirements. Cyclists will be able to enter the event on the Association’s website:

www.pedalpower.org.za or on the morning of the event.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

T 022 451 2202 E info@iloveyzerco.za W yzerce.co.za Social Media Yzerfontein Cycle Experience

DATE Saturday, 3 Nov 2018

START/FINISH Main Beach, Yzerfontein

ROUTES/ENTRY FEE

78km / R250 | 52km / R200

ENTER www.pedalpower.org.za

Go to Event Page

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if the 78km would be suitable for a gravel bike?

Totally. There's nothing technical, just jeep tracks. You might go through one small area of deep loose sand though,just a few hundred metres.

Anyone know if the 78km would be suitable for a gravel bike?

I've seen in the past.  1 or 2 small sand patches for the super skinny tyres.  BUT(disclaimer) not sure what it looks like after the drought of last year.  Last time it was hard packed and with 50% tar i think you might just be on the right bike.

Also thinking of doing this with a "gravel" bike / tandem.  Think it will be possible, or will I be walking alot?

Has anybody ridden this before? Like to find a gpx file for the route

I have the GPX file for last years 78km route. Don't know how to share it here though, haha.

PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

Also thinking of doing this with a "gravel" bike / tandem.  Think it will be possible, or will I be walking alot?

I did it last year on a gravel bike with 35mm tyres. Hands took a hammering on the jeep track on the way but totally worth it if you have practiced with jeep track and the gravel bike.

How “technical” is this race?! [emoji23]

Tricky enough to send 2 of us to hospital ????!

It’s not technical, we actually won it the first year and then the next year hit a tree and 3 of us ended up in a pile on he road. Was good though as the guy we crashed with joined pure savage.

Not sure what that says about our recruitment tactics though.

Thanks to all for the organisation as well as the big blue.. Blue Ribbon, those new square bread looks and taste amazing.

Ok a summary of the race will have to include sand, armoured ground crickets,and more sand. But overall there was a nice vibe with the weather being nice and cool at the start. What I did realise again is how lots of riders do not know how to ride over sand.

Oh and it made more sense for the goody bag at the end instead of at registration. Clever thinking there

Edited by LeoKnight

Was wondering how the gravel bikes were going to do in the sand, think it was different last year when the sand was a bit more compacted 

Lekker ride! Boys came home in second and 6th. The gravel bikes were quick on the tar, not so much on the sand :D