Giro d'Italia 2019

ScottCM

Am I seeing correctly that it happened with 2.5km to go? Is the 3km rule not in effect because of the stage profile or did I miss something?

Happened at 6km to go, bunch split and Bora / UAE dropped the hammer in a group of about 20 riders. They were pinning it to the line. Yates and co fought back well considering. 

1 Primoz Roglic (Slo) Team Jumbo-Visma 16:19:20

2 Simon Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott 0:00:35
3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida 0:00:39
4 Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana 0:00:44
5 Diego Ulissi (Ita) UAE Team Emirates
6 Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:00:49
7 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:55
8 Damiano Caruso (Ita) Bahrain-Merida 0:00:56
9 Bob Jungels (Lux) Deceuninck-QuickStep 0:01:02
10 Davide Formolo (Ita) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:01:06
11 Victor De La Parte (Spa) CCC Team 0:01:10
12 Pello Bilbao (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:01:16
13 Hugh John Carthy (GBr) EF
14 Esteban Chaves (Col) Mitchelton-Scott
15 Tony Gallopin (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:01:18
16 Richard Carapaz (Ecu) Movistar Team 0:01:21
17 Pavel Sivakov (Rus) Team Ineos 0:01:24
18 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Katusha-Alpecin 0:01:36
19 Jan Polanc (Slo) UAE Team Emirates 0:01:39
20 Pascal Ackermann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:01:47
21 Florian Senechal (Fra) QuickStep 0:01:48
22 Mikel Landa (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:49

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Video of the replay (that is you are seeing there with the 2.5km to go)it was at 5.something to go.

Makes sense, thanks.

That tweet is confusing.

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2019/05/14/2/bettiniphoto_0392834_1_2000px_670.jpg

"Dumoulin was treated on the Team Sunweb bus and then was taken to hospital for further checks. Team Sunweb quickly confirmed that an x-ray confirmed he had not fractured any bones. However there concerns about the cuts around his left knee and tendon injuries.

The blood appeared to be coming from an injury just above Dumoulin’s knee and a video from outside the team bus showed the Dutchman struggling to bend his leg as he walked onto the bus."
Edited by T-Bob

What a stupid stupid crash.. why oh why look around.. so stupid changes the whole Giro.

Shame man, that's just racing and bad luck. Puccio looks right as the 3 of the Mitchelton (?) riders drift left after a wobble, over lapping wheels and boom riders down, Haga in a ditch and Tommy D's GC done.  

And Landa has beef with Yates on Twitter and on AS.com regarding his crash after the Tommy D one. Landa was ahead of the crash, was with the leaders but still lost time on the line... 

"The f&&king Yates, who is a retard and goes like crazy. He threw me in a roundabout."

https://as.com/ciclismo/2019/05/14/giro_italia/1557854642_011321.html

Edit: 

Google Translate gives it a good go: 

"He saw himself overcome the first crash, six kilometers from the finish, and then entered cut. What happened?

The ******* Yates, who is a retard and goes like crazy. He threw me in a roundabout.

(Mikel Landa crossed the finish line of Frascati with his torn bottom and erosions on his hip and on his left arm.) After leaving the bike next to the Movistar bus, he asked for Richard Carapaz and he embraced Chente García Acosta to celebrate his victory before to shower:

"At least one joy in a bad day." In his mishap with the Brit broke the bike and Lluís Mas lent him his. Despite the anger, spoke with As and then apologized on Twitter: "Apologize to all the fans and especially Simon Yates for a few words out of context." The Brit accepted them 'no worries'.

How is the fall?

"I do not think it's anything, the problem is the time lost again. Now I'm almost two minutes from Roglic.

After the Bologna time trial and this day, it is a very complicated start.

It sucks when things happen that do not depend on you. In the time trial it cost me, but here I went to the ground because of another. It is not the desired beginning. In fact, the sensations are pretty bad with this disadvantage against."

Edited by T-Bob

And Landa has beef with Yates on Twitter and on AS.com regarding his crash after the Tommy D one. Landa was ahead of the crash, was with the leaders but still lost time on the line...

"The f&&king Yates, who is a retard and goes like crazy. He threw me in a roundabout."

https://as.com/ciclismo/2019/05/14/giro_italia/1557854642_011321.html

And it is only stage 4[emoji2957][emoji2957]

But beef has already been settled.

And it is only stage 4[emoji2957][emoji2957]

But beef has already been settled.

Yup, twitter hugs and emojis all around.