Giro d'Italia 2019

ScottCM

You say health reasons, why then is he suspended and not just withdrawn?... and now is to have further testing with UCI collaboration?

Being catabolic is a health reason. Happens when a rider does a big block of racing, training etc for example. This is a health reason.

There is no additional info I can add or provide currently at this point so watch for updates in the weeks to follow.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being catabolic is a health reason. Happens when a rider does a big block of racing, training etc for example. This is a health reason.

There is no additional info I can add or provide currently at this point so watch for updates in the weeks to follow.

With the latest news coming out this morning there will be plenty more updates [emoji2957]

The Giro profile suits him well this year. if he can recover from the crash, he still has a very good chance to stand on the top step.

Hope he doesn't do more damage..

As well. Not sure what the prognosis is but last night you wouldn't have thought so. Even his comments painted a pretty bleak picture. I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling he'll honour the stage and then retire. Not sure what his goals could be now. He'd have to be flying to take back serious time like that and he's not an explosive rider. The number of TT's might be key. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Hope he doesn't do more damage..

Speculation in the Dutch press is that Tom will return to ride a couple of stages and then withdraw to focus on the loop through France

As well. Not sure what the prognosis is but last night you wouldn't have thought so. Even his comments painted a pretty bleak picture. I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling he'll honour the stage and then retire. Not sure what his goals could be now. He'd have to be flying to take back serious time like that and he's not an explosive rider. The number of TT's might be key. 

The Team Sunweb press statement below, but yeah I would have thought coming back for the TdF a better strategy at this point.

https://twitter.com/teamsunweb/status/1128589665001529344?s=11

With the latest news coming out this morning there will be plenty more updates [emoji2957]

Indeed Operation Aderlass doping scandal kicking in;

Another non-starter today at #Giro102 due to an issue outside the race. Koren provisionally suspended by UCI & Nibali’s team a man down. Durasek will also be out of California before start of day 4. Second UAE-Emirates rider in 2 days to be pulled from racing.

https://twitter.com/robhatchtv/status/1128587701626785792?s=11

I reckon Tummy D will do a bit of training and then check out and work forward to Le Tour.

That could make sense. Use the Giro as training rides on nice full road closure roads. Plus then it looks as if he is giving the Giro the needed respect and his sponsors gets some more airtime.

The TT of Stage 9 will give us the full picture.

Until then the stages are relatively easy, so he might be able to come with the bunch every time if he doesn't have significant muscle or tendon damage.

Tom Dumoulin (SUN) will start the stage. Caught up in the major crash with 6.5 km to go yesterday, he finished the stage with blood flowing from his left knee, 4:04 after the stage winner Carapaz. At the team bus, he has just told RAI, "The big problem is the knee, which is very big [swollen]. I want to at least try, then I can at least not blame myself for not trying."