Night riding... I can't see!

EatPrayRide

Good morning fellow hubbers.

Ive started doing more night rides and my 400 lumen cheapy just doesn't give me enough riding time. What can you recommend to use that last longer than 2hrs and gives enough light to speed up and down mountains.

I was looking at the speedmaster 1600 lumen for R990.00... 

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/speedmaster-1600-lumen-light

Can anyone shed some light  :clap: (pun intended) on this for me?

Edited by EatPrayRide

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Average car headlight is about 700 lumen according to google, 1200lumen on brights, so get yourself a 800/1000 lumen and you should be fine.

For battery life, have it on low setting when climbing/ going slow and then turn it up for the downhills, 

It really depends on what type of night riding you want to do and for how long.  If you just planning on doing the odd night ride with friends or even a race and it won't last longer than 2-3 hours I would go for the Core+ Light from extremelights, see link here: https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/bicycle-lights/products/core-bicycle-light-2

If you planning on doing overnight riding, i.e. 24 hour events where you will be descending long down hills and need "more" light then you can maybe look at a more expensive option with more lumens, i.e. 
https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/bicycle-lights/products/endurance-bicycle-light-1

I would go for the extremelights options purely for their after sales service and the fact that their products are durable and last quite long.

Chris Willemse 900 lumen light is R499. Sometimes they are on special. I have two of these, the batteries last ages on high setting. 

Great ill have a look. Thanks.

It really depends on what type of night riding you want to do and for how long.  If you just planning on doing the odd night ride with friends or even a race and it won't last longer than 2-3 hours I would go for the Core+ Light from extremelights, see link here: https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/bicycle-lights/products/core-bicycle-light-2

If you planning on doing overnight riding, i.e. 24 hour events where you will be descending long down hills and need "more" light then you can maybe look at a more expensive option with more lumens, i.e. 

https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/bicycle-lights/products/endurance-bicycle-light-1

I would go for the extremelights options purely for their after sales service and the fact that their products are durable and last quite long.

I feel like the first one you recommended might be to weak and second one is quite expensive. Don't think I want to spend that much. They do however look like great quality and I've noticed that they are popular in South Africa under the night riders...

Chris Willemse 900 lumen light is R499. Sometimes they are on special. I have two of these, the batteries last ages on high setting. 

Just ordered one. Thanks for the lead. It looks great.

Yeah, sometimes I think the lumens is just a random number on the light. Higher is not always better. 

Do you use this light for mountain biking?

If you intend riding single track then two lights are good: one on the handlebars, another on your helmet so you have see-where-you-look light.

I have a 600 lumens light which I thought was pretty okay until I bought a 900 lumens light (with external battery pack: a bit of a PITA but fair enough if you want the horsepower). The shape of the light cone is also important: you want most of the light focussed on a fairly narrow spot. 

Great fun riding at night. Have fun.  :thumbup:

I can reliably tell you there will only (ever) be 10 more of these available at this price - https://www.takealot.com/magicshine-mj872-light/PLID40763243

That will give you more lighting power than you would ever reasonably need.

Even though slightly more expensive than the Cwc deal it's way better value and a hugely better light both in light output and build quality. Op should try see if he can cancel the cwc order and rather get this.

Even though slightly more expensive than the Cwc deal it's way better value and a hugely better light both in light output and build quality. Op should try see if he can cancel the cwc order and rather get this.

Just canceled the cdc order... So this is the one then? Do you guys rate this??

If you intend riding single track then two lights are good: one on the handlebars, another on your helmet so you have see-where-you-look light.

I have a 600 lumens light which I thought was pretty okay until I bought a 900 lumens light (with external battery pack: a bit of a PITA but fair enough if you want the horsepower). The shape of the light cone is also important: you want most of the light focussed on a fairly narrow spot. 

Great fun riding at night. Have fun.  :thumbup:

plus 1000+ for this.

beam pattern is almost more important than total light output.

have a flood on medium/low setting on the handle bar, and then a spot on the helmet, a decent headlamp works for this too. when you start doing singletrack, going fast, you need to be able to see around the corners before you get to them...your ayes, and then head will shine the light where you're looking.

personally we are flippen spoilt with the quality of lights we have these days, back in my day......

lumens lumens lumens, if you really want the lowdown i think this is the best thread on thehub for this topic.

Most modern lights are very good compared to what we used to ride, price and brightness.

I think the battery is the most important thing, 900 lumens is more than enough for road riding. I have many lights at home with rubbish batteries, so would only buy from a reputable seller.