New bike time, but I need your help

partydave

Epic Evo is the one to get. Geo and travel is spot on for 99% of use cases.

Stumpy ST is fun, but not for gravel roading.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott Spark gets my vote. Think there are still some 2018 models on special from Bike Addict and there is a wide range of models to cover every budget. Super versatile bike that can do everything from gravel roads to XC to the rowdier stuff thanks to the Twinloc system.

I'm actually in a similar boat as you.

Looking at the Stumpy ST, the new Epic EVO and the Trek Fuel EX.

Going to try the Epic EVO out this weekend.

My biggest problem with the Stumpy ST is that locally they currently only offer the entry level alloy one you're looking at or the expert level carbon which is quite a bit out of my price range.

My budget only allows for the entry-level one anyway, as much as I'd like a carbon machine

I reckon with a bit of shopping around you could get n top of the line second hand carbon monster. It is a buyers market- make some offers and let us know. Plenty of bikes standing around in garages gathering dust and Christmas is

around the corner!!

I am limited to 2 LBS' that offer me a trade-in on my roadbike. The bikes listed is what they stock in my budget

Just a heads up, the Stumpy ST you're referring to doesn't have an SRAM drivetrain, it has an SRAM crankset, KMC chain, Sunrace cassette and Shimano SLX derailleur and shifters

Not an issue, I can always upgrade at a later stage

I am wondering the same...

According to the Norco website the Fluid FS 3 is not available in SA, and the Optic is priced at  R79 999 for the complete bike, and R56999 for the frame kit.

Prices indicated by OP must be used imports?

Still, good looking bikes, and I would not mind having one of those Optics myself.

Local LBS (Namibia) is a dealer. They quoted 28k for an Optic, hope they will stick to their quoted price. Between the Optic and Fluid though, my choice is Fluid. Fluid 1 is 28k 

I'm not a Spez fan so I'll lead with that right off the bat  :blink:. If it was between the options mentioned above I would consider the Norco or Giant. 

If I could take the budget and apply it to another brand: Trek, Rocky Mountain would get my vote. But also don't disregard Momsen and Pyga either. Pyga would be more for the trails with more travel. 

For R30k you will be able to build yourself a very decent machine without having to do any upgrades. Chain Reaction Cycles currently has lots of specials going. 

My suggestion would be: Get a sweet frame and build you a decent bike with all the kit that you want / need. 

Again, I am limited to 2 dealers that offer trade-in on my roadbike. I am a massive Rocky Mountain and Pyga fan though. Have a RM as my motivation desktop wallpaper

I recently bought the Stumpy ST, and it is an excellent bike, but it is a trail bike and quite heavy.

You mentioned that you do 95% long distance on good gravel roads with little elevation.

For those conditions I still prefer my Trek Procaliber 9.6 for the same price.

Treks are hard to find here, most often just abused 2nd hands

Out of budget unfortunately

Scott Spark gets my vote. Think there are still some 2018 models on special from Bike Addict and there is a wide range of models to cover every budget. Super versatile bike that can do everything from gravel roads to XC to the rowdier stuff thanks to the Twinloc system.

Cheapest Spark I can find locally is 37k and they don't do trade-ins

Yes, was wondering about that as well. 120mm fork, 100mm rear (I think) and great geo. Would be a strong contender as well.

940 for the win. If there are any in his size, it's a SOLID option. A bit more than 30k, but well worth it in my opinion

My budget only allows for the entry-level one anyway, as much as I'd like a carbon machine

I am limited to 2 LBS' that offer me a trade-in on my roadbike. The bikes listed is what they stock in my budget

Not an issue, I can always upgrade at a later stage

Local LBS (Namibia) is a dealer. They quoted 28k for an Optic, hope they will stick to their quoted price. Between the Optic and Fluid though, my choice is Fluid. Fluid 1 is 28k 

Again, I am limited to 2 dealers that offer trade-in on my roadbike. I am a massive Rocky Mountain and Pyga fan though. Have a RM as my motivation desktop wallpaper

Treks are hard to find here, most often just abused 2nd hands

Out of budget unfortunately

Cheapest Spark I can find locally is 37k and they don't do trade-ins

In that case, the ST or the Norco. I'd personally go with the Spazzzzz.

Yes, was wondering about that as well. 120mm fork, 100mm rear (I think) and great geo. Would be a strong contender as well.

940 for the win. If there are any in his size, it's a SOLID option. A bit more than 30k, but well worth it in my opinion

I absolutely love Scott, my Scale 940 has been abused like no other and just keeps giving. Easily the best HT I've owned. I can't find one in budget sadly

In that case, the ST or the Norco. I'd personally go with the Spazzzzz.

Very likely going to be the Spez, but I am getting a Fluid 1 to test for a week. I much prefer the price of the Norco if I'm honest and it's something different. The Stumpy is gorgeous though and that's 90% of the decision right there

That Silverback sounds like a deal. Underrated I think but probably ideal for what you ride. It doesn't sound as if a trail bike is necessary and you can always upsize on the frame and fit a shorter stem to make it a little better on the odd steep bits you encounter. Just some ideas....

That Silverback sounds like a deal. Underrated I think but probably ideal for what you ride. It doesn't sound as if a trail bike is necessary and you can always upsize on the frame and fit a shorter stem to make it a little better on the odd steep bits you encounter. Just some ideas....

But it's a Silverback. Status > *

Epic Evo only available in Expert build @ around 80k.

Of the options you have listed I'd go for the Spaz Stumpy ST, but IMO it's not really suited to the riding you are describing. For lots of gravel road I'd buy the alloy Epic.

I am biased due to my Spaz, but my boet rides the Anthem, and he reckons that it is a very capable bike. He rides mostly gravel grinds and a fair amount of single track, but not very technical due to his preferences. He really enjoys it.

Just a thought.

Epic Evo only available in Expert build @ around 80k.

Of the options you have listed I'd go for the Spaz Stumpy ST, but IMO it's not really suited to the riding you are describing. For lots of gravel road I'd buy the alloy Epic.

If it was in budget, for sure. Dealer also said the Epic is the bike to get for my type of riding, but couldn't get close to my budget. 2nd option was the Giant (that I'm not feeling) and then the Stumpy

For your terrain, I'd definitely choose the Anthem. But I'd try find a used one though with higher spec. Then sell you bike privately.

Archived