New bike time, but I need your help

partydave

Epic Evo only available in Expert build @ around 80k.

Of the options you have listed I'd go for the Spaz Stumpy ST, but IMO it's not really suited to the riding you are describing. For lots of gravel road I'd buy the alloy Epic.

In Cape Town (Tygerberg) they have the Comp Alloy build as well, sitting @ around R45k

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that we know more about the situation i.e. 

1) You have a trade
2) Limited to the LBS and their stock

I think you have one of two options: 

1) Either go down the rabbit whole face first and try to sell the road bike privately, take the cash and add some and either buy online from a bike shop or from the hub - this goes for building as well

2) Remove all the schlep out of your life and go with the frame that you like the most. I say frame and not bike because everything else can be swopped out  :D

So based off the new information which came to light, I would go with the Norco's (Either one. The cheaper one will allow you even more money for the upgrades). I mean those two were the ones which spoke to you the most  :P

Following this with interest because I'm thinking of "downgrading" from a Giant Trance to something a little less trail and all mountain orientated. I find myself riding less gnarly stuff and skipping the bigger jumps and and rock gardens. I supposed my sense of self preservation is finally catching up with my sense of adventure? :blush:  So, thinking of something lighter, more in line with flowing single track, berms, switchbacks and gravel roads to link the nicer bits. 

So basically 90% of "mountain bike" trails in the Western Cape?

Just had a look at the Fluid 1 in the flesh and my pants got uncomfortably tight. The 3 is lower spec, but 6 grand cheaper. Should be enough for a 1x12 conversion

On a side note... How is your weight loss bike going? Have you got it down to 5kgs yet?

Have some issues with the bike I never had before, it's telling me it wants to be replaced. Used it for desert dash training this weekend and kept dropping the chain and losing spoke tension. For now, it's being parked.

On to the bike shopping. After this weekend, it's evident I need a bike that can climb well, with everything else being secondary. 

Now I'm even more torn between the Fluid 3 and a 1x12 or a Stumpy with factory 1x11

Have some issues with the bike I never had before, it's telling me it wants to be replaced. Used it for desert dash training this weekend and kept dropping the chain and losing spoke tension. For now, it's being parked.

On to the bike shopping. After this weekend, it's evident I need a bike that can climb well, with everything else being secondary. 

Now I'm even more torn between the Fluid 3 and a 1x12 or a Stumpy with factory 1x11

The Anthem and Sido will probably be most efficient then...

Isn't the Anthem also 1x10?

One of our team mates has a new Sido 1. He likes the bike a lot, but felt the gearing was way off

Isn't the Anthem also 1x10?

One of our team mates has a new Sido 1. He likes the bike a lot, but felt the gearing was way off

Anthem 3 is 2x10 (2018 and 2019).

Others higher end models are 1x11 or 1x12

I have an older Anthem, which is 2x10 and very happy with it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've pulled the trigger on the Spaz Stumpy ST.

I tested the Norco Fluid 3, Stumpy, Anthem and Sido extensively for weeks. My findings as follows:

Norco: Excellent bike for the money, but it is very noticeably an entry level bike, but a damn good one at that. If you go this route, expect to change drive-train and wheels before taking it home. Bike looks and rides fantastic though

Anthem: Excellent bike, I could not fault anything on it. Looks hot and great handling.

Sido: Again, great bike, but I just not feel comfortable on it at all. Great value for money though

Stumpy: Obviously I liked this one the most. Super comfortable and gorgeous. x11 is a benefit. I feel it's not as great value as the others. 

Why did I end up with the Spaz? No idea, I'm a cyclist and we do things that don't make sense.

How the hell does someone wait more than 1 day for a new bike?!?!?! 

i've been building a new toy for the past few months....it's standing in my lounge 90% completed and all i need to go smash it is a new cassette, chain and brakes.

it's torturing me as it stands there in its smugness....it knows...and it is enjoying it.

My turn will come though...and then ill have the last laugh ^_^