Chain Reaction / SkyNet Non-Delivery

ColnagoDreamPlus

Common misconception that online stores do not have overheads, they are different overheads, but overheads none-the less. Your rent is less, BUT you have to cover shipping if you want to be competitive, and the big cost is marketing. It is not free to get people on your website, google advertising is expensive. You pay as much as R30 to R100 per click to get people to visit your site - and if 1 in 10 people buy that conversion cost is pretty high (oh and 1 in 10 is a very optimistic number - you need a good amount of stock to achieve that).

And no, the good online stores do not ship directly from distributors. Many distributors have minimum "stock on hand" rules for online stores and do not allow online stores to advertise stock they do not have on hand. How do you think something gets to you next day with the stores stickers/packaging/logos if it is just shipped from the distributor.

Sure there are middlemen - but they don't stick around for long. Online stores are not the joke overyone thinks they are to run.

i get and agree with all your points re marketing costs etc etc, but i recently as last week bought from 3 different local online stores (well known ones in these circles and not the big one who has recently been bought out) who literally advertise on their site that they don't carry the stock or a fav seems to be 'in stock at supplier', then upon ordering - first confirm that the distro have the stock...then send it to either themselfs first and then on to end user(me). all non clothing items btw.

The well known one in Malmesbury also works like this. They sell 'everything' online...but basically have nothing on hand except for ALOT of full bikes and the basics you can find at sportsmans warehouse. Their prices are good though...twice now they have come in ALOT cheaper than some of the competition on stuff i wanted...and they get their stock from the same distributors. You still have to shop around and ask with the online stores...some of their profit margins obviously differ.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O sh_t there goes my Brooks Saddle.....also no info on searching the parcel.......

Money back in account......phew

I opted to re-order, been sent a second tracking number, same problem...

Tried to request for it to be sent so late and was told I asked too late and the order had already been placed. Going to mail them tomorrow if it's still not picking up and demand for it to be sent via DHL. 

How many mess-ups does SkyNet need to make before they realise how many customers they are losing?

I opted to re-order, been sent a second tracking number, same problem...

Tried to request for it to be sent so late and was told I asked too late and the order had already been placed. Going to mail them tomorrow if it's still not picking up and demand for it to be sent via DHL. 

How many mess-ups does SkyNet need to make before they realise how many customers they are losing?

Used wiggle now and it was a little cheaper !!!

My situ now ; They mailed me yesterday asking if I want a full refund or if they should duplicate the order, I opted for the former, reluctantly. 

Edited by simonbrehany

Common misconception that online stores do not have overheads, they are different overheads, but overheads none-the less. Your rent is less, BUT you have to cover shipping if you want to be competitive, and the big cost is marketing. It is not free to get people on your website, google advertising is expensive. You pay as much as R30 to R100 per click to get people to visit your site - and if 1 in 10 people buy that conversion cost is pretty high (oh and 1 in 10 is a very optimistic number - you need a good amount of stock to achieve that).

And no, the good online stores do not ship directly from distributors. Many distributors have minimum "stock on hand" rules for online stores and do not allow online stores to advertise stock they do not have on hand. How do you think something gets to you next day with the stores stickers/packaging/logos if it is just shipped from the distributor.

Sure there are middlemen - but they don't stick around for long. Online stores are not the joke overyone thinks they are to run.

A LOT of on-line stores in SA (not only cycling) are 'virtual'  - they do not keep any stock, even if stock levels reflect, and often ship direct from wholesales / distributors, so its hard to know what and with whom you are dealing with. 

I can name a few. 'IT' are the worst.

Really crazy as they are shipping from the same place since they merged the warehouse operations. Hopefully they will see the light eventually re sky net.

I wonder what the experience is like for their customers in the rest of the world.

I have had the most horrific experience, I have even gotten the MD of SKYNET involved, but this did not help much either. You still get no useable feedback and I am still waiting for my parcel. CRC claims the parcel was dispatched and collected by Skynet and Skynet claims they never recieved the parcel. Now I have to wait another 5 working days for an investigation and then I can decide if they must resend the order or if I want a refund.... Guess what I am going to choose!! The refund will probably now take 14-21 work days to pay out I guess. This has been the most tiring and frustrating online experience I have ever experienced and I work in Supply chain. It is pathetic to say the least.

I have had the most horrific experience, I have even gotten the MD of SKYNET involved, but this did not help much either. You still get no useable feedback and I am still waiting for my parcel. CRC claims the parcel was dispatched and collected by Skynet and Skynet claims they never recieved the parcel. Now I have to wait another 5 working days for an investigation and then I can decide if they must resend the order or if I want a refund.... Guess what I am going to choose!! The refund will probably now take 14-21 work days to pay out I guess. This has been the most tiring and frustrating online experience I have ever experienced and I work in Supply chain. It is pathetic to say the least.

I'm sure CRC/Skynet must be be inundated with similar incidents but neither is really doing anything to change it or cares about the frustrated customer waiting for his/her parcel.

I also have a pending order but haven't even bothered to check progress.

Edited by Thomo

O sh_t there goes my Brooks Saddle.....also no info on searching the parcel.......

Got a call now from i think Customs, my lost parcel from CRC has just arrived ........WHAT TO DO NOW?? They've paid me back my money , i've ordered and paid for a new saddle from Wiggle?

Got a call now from i think Customs, my lost parcel from CRC has just arrived ........WHAT TO DO NOW?? They've paid me back my money , i've ordered and paid for a new saddle from Wiggle?

Take it and teach them a lesson :ph34r: 

They re-sent my order and now both orders are about to hit customs so I'm about to be in the same situation. 

Same here, my CRC order lost in transit due to Skynet tracking failure.

Opted for refund.

Skynet phoned today to confirm delivery after 2+ weeks but already got my refund.

keep it. I have had this back when i still used SAPO and crap eventually arrived after 6 months when it was "lost". I mailed the place - that already by then sent me new ones (from USA), and told them the package was found...and that i'm willing to send it back to them and they said not to stress about it.

hey are insured for it i'm sure. It's up to you if you want to let them know i guess....but imo "moenie slapende honde wakker maak nie..."

Edited by morneS555

Just don't accept the parcel from the courier, and don't pay any fees.  Tell them the order was cancelled and they'll send it back.  

Can this be correct:

I have received an e-mail from Aramax, The total amount i owe them is R 1283.47. This consist of :

Clearance 260.00
Duties Duties 563.49
Disbursement Disbursement 25.88
Customs VAT Customs VAT 395.10
VAT VAT 39.00
Shipment Total Amount: 1,283.47

This is for 1 Brooks Saddle of about R 2000.00
Edited by Help.Me.