SRAM Cassette Not Flush

AlanD

Hi All,

Installed a new GX 11 speed cassette on a new XD driver hub.

Tightened it as tight as I could and it's a few mm from sitting down flush. What could the issue be?

I'm at the point of just leaving it as I've taken it off and put it on so any times I'm gatvol.

Will I now have shifting issues or will a few adjustments of the RD be enough?

Thanks

Difficult to take a photo as it's on the hub now. I've just left it and put the wheel back on the bike,new chain and and chain and to my surprise, no skipping gears,not adjustment needed and all seems to spin perfectly.

Check your rear hub lock nuts are tight. Had the same issue before but didn't think much of it (ie cassette not sitting flush) because shifting was all good and freewheel worked as it should. Then on one ride the freewheel gave up on me and only then discovered that because the hub nuts were loose I'd stripped the inside of the hub under load meaning the pawls no longer had anything to grip. Needless to say I had to get a new hub.

Long and the short of it is the cassette should sit flush.

Alan I know what you are refering to , i can't wangle my phone between the spokes to get a pic of the piece of freehub that you can see but ti got a pretty good pic of the "gap" and it's dead normal 

You can always see that bit of the gold freehub on hopes ( my pro4 and pro2evo both have this "gap") 

I doubt you have anything to worry about , just make sure the cassette is around 35nM or in other words **** TIGHT 

cheers 

post-46013-0-93726700-1542459663_thumb.jpg

Alan I know what you are refering to , i can't wangle my phone between the spokes to get a pic of the piece of freehub that you can see but ti got a pretty good pic of the "gap" and it's dead normal

You can always see that bit of the gold freehub on hopes ( my pro4 and pro2evo both have this "gap")

I doubt you have anything to worry about , just make sure the cassette is around 35nM or in other words **** TIGHT

cheers

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It just doesn't sit flush and move all the way down on the hub to where it should stop. Ypur seems to stop wjere it should but my cassette doesn go all the way on the hub to where it should stop.

I've tightened it as tight as I can and that's where it sits.

All gears working perfect and all seems aligned nicely.

Will try take a pic a little later

Edited by AlanD

I doubt you have anything to worry about , just make sure the cassette is around 35nM or in other words **** TIGHT 

cheers 

disclaimer ** I'm only refering to XD drivers above 

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It just doesn't sit flush and move all the way down on the hub to where it should stop. I've tightened it as tight as I can and that's where it sits.

All gears working perfect and all seems aligned nicely.

been riding my pro2 more than a year and no issues I just think its the way XD drivers work , would love to have coffee with sram's engineers and hear their reasoning for some of their stuff ( ...like dub )

but XD has been good to me 

cheers 

That is normal for an XD cassette.

Make sure the cassette only has a slight wobble when you spin the cranks backward. If its pronounced you may have cross threaded the cassette . Only ever seen this once

Did you not maybe cross thread it?

I don't think so as put it on and took it off a good few times before tightening on for good and each time I checked the threads and they seemed good.

Also turned it first by hand a good few times until I couldn't anymore and checked from the top it looked good and straight.

Edited by AlanD

Here is a zoomed in pic

E13 cassette on XD-driver on Hope Pro 4. Same spacing situation as yours. i think it's already flush with a shoulder.

post-6789-0-84762000-1542478390_thumb.jpg

Edited by Capricorn

Wanted to take the cassette off and perhaps add some more greese to see if it would go a bit further, looking for a problem where there is non...

It was so tight (honestly did not tighten it that tightnat all), that it twisted the threads. Now is impossible to get off.mmmat least it's a new cassette. Arrrggg....lesson learnt

post-57045-0-60746500-1542565963_thumb.jpg

Wanted to take the cassette off and perhaps add some more greese to see if it would go a bit further, looking for a problem where there is non...

It was so tight (honestly did not tighten it that tightnat all), that it twisted the threads. Now is impossible to get off.mmmat least it's a new cassette. Arrrggg....lesson learnt

:eek: hey popeye, lay off the spinach, k?