Epic 254km Triathlon - my own ultra

Fred van Vlaanderen

Hi fellow hubbers, 

I've been playing with the idea of doing my own Ultra distance triathlon in 2019. Haven't done a full Ironman event and probably will not do one soon. Although I'm sure I'd love it, I can't get myself to put down that amount of money for one event. I'm pretty sure one gets value for money and that there is a reason why the prices are so high, but I'm still reluctant to pay such a big amount. 

To be a little different, I was thinking of rounding the numbers at:

• 4KM swim
  • 200KM cycle
  • 50KM run

It will most probably be a grueling day out and I'll have to work on logistics.

Currently, the best venue close to me would be at Cradle moon in Gauteng. Looking at somewhere in April or May 2019.

Anyone keen to join in such an event or maybe have some helpful tips? 

The video in the below link inspired me to do my own thing:

https://www.triathlete.com/2018/10/lifestyle/can-triathlon-be-edgy_337157

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to you for attempting it; personally I can imagine few things more boring than what is essentially a 15(?) hour training session.

One of the things about Ironman I enjoy the most is the atmosphere on the day; something you will miss out on.

Kudos to you for attempting it; personally I can imagine few things more boring than what is essentially a 15(?) hour training session.

One of the things about Ironman I enjoy the most is the atmosphere on the day; something you will miss out on.

Ja, I have to admit that the atmosphere will sorely be missed. That, and also an actual finish line with a timer will most probably be the two most difficult obstacles. 

Good luck - can't imagine doing an Ironman's work of exercise plus what will end up being like 3 additional hours (unless you have super endurance) outside of an actual race.  

If you are crazy enough to do it, I would suggest making it a point to point journey with support crew following, so that you have an end destination to motivate you towards.

E.g. swim at cradle moon, cycle 200km out to somewhere like Sun City, run 50km to your overnight stay.

I think if you are going bigger and longer than Ironman then the route better be stunning.

Personally was thinking-

Swim Sterkfontein dam

Cycle through round(to make up km's) and through to Injasuthi

Then run Mafadi Peak and back

Will be far more epic, then again my mind is skewed perspectives.

Good luck - can't imagine doing an Ironman's work of exercise plus what will end up being like 3 additional hours (unless you have super endurance) outside of an actual race.  

If you are crazy enough to do it, I would suggest making it a point to point journey with support crew following, so that you have an end destination to motivate you towards.

E.g. swim at cradle moon, cycle 200km out to somewhere like Sun City, run 50km to your overnight stay.

Love this idea - thanks for the suggestion. 

I think if you are going bigger and longer than Ironman then the route better be stunning.

Personally was thinking-

Swim Sterkfontein dam

Cycle through round(to make up km's) and through to Injasuthi

Then run Mafadi Peak and back

Will be far more epic, then again my mind is skewed perspectives.

This will definitely be far more epic. Not sure if I'll be able to do that route in a day. But I'll look at this as an option for the hell of it. 

Hi fellow hubbers, 

I've been playing with the idea of doing my own Ultra distance triathlon in 2019. Haven't done a full Ironman event and probably will not do one soon. Although I'm sure I'd love it, I can't get myself to put down that amount of money for one event. I'm pretty sure one gets value for money and that there is a reason why the prices are so high, but I'm still reluctant to pay such a big amount. 

To be a little different, I was thinking of rounding the numbers at:

• 4KM swim
  • 200KM cycle
  • 50KM run

It will most probably be a grueling day out and I'll have to work on logistics.

Currently, the best venue close to me would be at Cradle moon in Gauteng. Looking at somewhere in April or May 2019.

Anyone keen to join in such an event or maybe have some helpful tips? 

The video in the below link inspired me to do my own thing:

https://www.triathlete.com/2018/10/lifestyle/can-triathlon-be-edgy_337157

Wow, just like that your idea reminded me of how I fantasized in high school doing such things for fun. I'd definitely be interested if I can afford the logistics behind such an awesome but demanding endeavour. If I cannot, I offer my assistance on the day through means of a pit stop or something :)

Wow, just like that your idea reminded me of how I fantasized in high school doing such things for fun. I'd definitely be interested if I can afford the logistics behind such an awesome but demanding endeavour. If I cannot, I offer my assistance on the day through means of a pit stop or something :)

Will keep you posted. The Mrs. will surely be in a backup vehicle and I'm probably going to request some friends to do certain legs of the cycle and run alongside me. 

Aim of the game is to be as self-supportive as possible and as cheap as possible. 

a small cradle loop is what, 30kms? so if you do 7 loops for the bike leg... that means you can get in as many pitstops at your car.

and then if you run say to bidon from cradle moon thats a 5km stretch, you can grab water at each side, thats 10 waterbreaks!

logistics - nailed it  :ph34r:

boredom, what boredom?

a small cradle loop is what, 30kms? so if you do 7 loops for the bike leg... that means you can get in as many pitstops at your car.

and then if you run say to bidon from cradle moon thats a 5km stretch, you can grab water at each side, thats 10 waterbreaks!

logistics - nailed it :ph34r:

boredom, what boredom?

I have to admit that I’m pretty sure I’d get bored on that route ????

But then you wouldnt be able to get an IM tattoo afterwards :whistling:

Yeah, and there goes the all the stories I could’ve told around a braai - “I remember back when I did my ironman...” ????

Reminds me of Lionel Sanders Ironman test session before Kona this year - a 3.8km swim,180kms cycle on a 1.5km oval track and a 30km run.