What is the most efficient dualies?

Me rida my bicycle

I am thinking of trying a dual again just itching.

I love my HT being a heavy rider I love the way it shoots forward with every pedal stroke making hills "flatter" and the light weight is playful on the trails.

Now my question is there a dual that's close as efficient as a good HT?

I have owned SC Tallboy which was good and a RM element rsl which wasn't way too much pedal bob.

Would love some feedback from the bigger guys I am looking for a dual that doesn't need to be locked most of the time and doesn't waste power in bobing around that's why I went back to HT don't see the point in riding a dual like that again.

It will be for XC/Trail 100mm travel would be fine (29er)

Thanks guys much appreciated!

Scott Spark RC (especially with its Twinloc), Specialized Epic, Trek Top Fuel...there are actually quite a few bikes that are good at climbing and keeping bob in check.

Plus if you REALLY want to you can just run lower sag and / or use some pedaling platform

Efficiency... Specialized Epic because of the brain technology. It's a love or hate thing, so go take an Epic out for a demo. It really does act like a hardtail until it hits something after which it gives.

In my opinion it is bar none the most efficient and hardtail-like full suspension bike.

Efficiency... Specialized Epic because of the brain technology. It's a love or hate thing, so go take an Epic out for a demo. It really does act like a hardtail until it hits something after which it gives.

In my opinion it is bar none the most efficient and hardtail-like full suspension bike.

I was thinking in that direction that will be on my demo list if I can find a demo. Thanks

I would prioritize comfort above absolute efficiency.  If you want the latter, a hardtail would suit you best.  In my books, comfort and relative efficiency are most important.  Tallboy for the win! 

Scott Spark RC (especially with its Twinloc), Specialized Epic, Trek Top Fuel...there are actually quite a few bikes that are good at climbing and keeping bob in check.

Plus if you REALLY want to you can just run lower sag and / or use some pedaling platform

Thanks.

I had the previous Scott spark and it wasn't have bad. Might see if I can get 1 to test. Not a big fan of the Trek had a spin on 1 of their demo days.

The whole thing about locking the rear for climbing kinda defeats the purpose of the dual cause that's about the only time you're grinding it out in the saddle. Guess I want something that climbs like a HT but is softer on your body probably a ebike. Hahaha (not that old yet)

I would prioritize comfort above absolute efficiency.  If you want the latter, a hardtail would suit you best.  In my books, comfort and relative efficiency are most important.  Tallboy for the win!

the Tallboys are great had a 1 and 2cc but the 3 looks a bit to much of a trail bike was thinking of the new Blur but the price made my eyes blur.

I know this is little off topic but what about a plus size HT that looks like it could be a way but the weight is the same as a decent dual and haven't really seen hi end models around.

My problem is my riding partner is monster I barley keep up with my light weight HT. So I am still playing around with some ideas something else would be fat rims 30-40mm with light fatter tyre's 2.35 this should increase grip and comfort??

My problem is my riding partner is monster I barley keep up with my light weight HT. So I am still playing around with some ideas something else would be fat rims 30-40mm with light fatter tyre's 2.35 this should increase grip and comfort??

When you say bigger guy, how big?, I'm 95 and ride a Hardtail that weighs nothing and a pyga stage that weighs 4kgs more. Obviously the Hardtail climbs better but it's not that much better and over a long ride I am way less tired on the Pyga which means I have more energy for the climbing. For my weight I consider myself a decent climber. Pretty ordinary to cr@p at every other aspect of riding.

Your idea on the wheels would probably make a big difference too - I did this to my Hardtail and despite increasing weight a bit, I have more comfort and grip

When you say bigger guy, how big?, I'm 95 and ride a Hardtail that weighs nothing and a pyga stage that weighs 4kgs more. Obviously the Hardtail climbs better but it's not that much better and over a long ride I am way less tired on the Pyga which means I have more energy for the climbing. For my weight I consider myself a decent climber. Pretty ordinary to cr@p at every other aspect of riding.

Your idea on the wheels would probably make a big difference too - I did this to my Hardtail and despite increasing weight a bit, I have more comfort and grip

Well said, thank you

I had a BMC Fourstroke. That bike had speed, traction and comfort. And I never bothered with the shock platform. I never bothered with the rear suspension, it just worked and worked.

Otherwise maybe look at the Cannondale scalpel? New Anthem should be fast and efficient, if the Maestro suspension is set-up right, it's very lekker. I'd say it's as good as the DW Link on the BMC (my experience with my Trance when compared to the Trailfox, I haven't ridden an Anthem to compare it to my old Fourstroke.)

I like a well designed, we'll setup rear suspension, then you don't need a myriad of lockouts that make your bar look like a crow's nest. (Saying that, I think the new BMC Fourstroke is also guilty of that.)

thanks I am around 100kg. There's a couple of bikes I want to test but think for the meantime fit bigger wheels with fatter rubber. Don't want to rush and don't need to did the K2C on my HT and it was fine the bike is not uncomfy best HT I have owned (there's been a lot) I just had a ride on a e-trance the weekend and it felt great so trying to see if there's something that feels like that but climbs like myne without a motor ????

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.......... 

Get a new riding partner  :ph34r: 

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.......... 

Get a new riding partner  :ph34r: 

or get him to tow you up. #EverydayISshuttleDay.

The sweet spot with 2.35 (schwalbe) to 2.5 (Maxxis) tyres is between 30 & 35mm. Any wider than that yields diminishing returns unless you go to 2.6/2.8 and then your existing frame and fork won't accept that.

Maxxis 2.5 is the same width as schwalbe 2.35

Archived