The Veganism Thread

Odinson

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checking in.

How's folks' Reductionuary and Veganuary going?

I had my first vegeterian burger yesterday. It was actually not bad. I would rather have a salad tho. The idea is something to get used to. My brain still expected mince.

I had my first vegeterian burger yesterday. It was actually not bad. I would rather have a salad tho. The idea is something to get used to. My brain still expected mince.

On the veggie burger thing... Like beef / chicken burgers, you get average ones, you get GREAT ones, and you get UTTERLY HORRID ones. 

The vast majority of em are what I'd call middling. Whether it be taste, texture or something else, you need to be very good at matching flavours to deliver a great burger. Like beef, there's also different ways you can make one, with different "cuts" of meat (or, in this case, veg) which can change the taste and texture quite considerably. 

Spicing is and always will be exceptionally important, but that's the same across beef and chicken and veg. It's just that the veg spicing is all the more important, as good beef / chicken already has an element of taste / umami in it. 

The best veggie ones I've had so far have been chickpea and mushroom based. But if the spicing is off, the effect is more amplified than in the meat burgers, IMO. 

On the veggie burger thing... Like beef / chicken burgers, you get average ones, you get GREAT ones, and you get UTTERLY HORRID ones.

The vast majority of em are what I'd call middling. Whether it be taste, texture or something else, you need to be very good at matching flavours to deliver a great burger. Like beef, there's also different ways you can make one, with different "cuts" of meat (or, in this case, veg) which can change the taste and texture quite considerably.

Spicing is and always will be exceptionally important, but that's the same across beef and chicken and veg. It's just that the veg spicing is all the more important, as good beef / chicken already has an element of taste / umami in it.

The best veggie ones I've had so far have been chickpea and mushroom based. But if the spicing is off, the effect is more amplified than in the meat burgers, IMO.

This is what the one I ate was made of: Made with Brown Rice, Farro, Mushrooms, Black Beans and Onion. And it was spot on. Really lekker. It’s just my brain that screwed me around thinking “but this should be beef”.

This is what the one I ate was made of: Made with Brown Rice, Farro, Mushrooms, Black Beans and Onion. And it was spot on. Really lekker. It’s just my brain that screwed me around thinking “but this should be beef”.

Ah yes, black bean burgers are also good, if other things and spices are added in the right amounts.

I'm pretty sure the keto comment was meant in (underhanded) jest

Perhaps, but it could very easily been seen as an attempt to discredit keto diets.

Far funnier vegan comments have resulted in far bigger triggers on the Hub.

Plant-Based Diets for Cardiovascular Safety and Performance in Endurance Sports

Abstract:

Studies suggest that endurance athletes are at higher-than-average risk for atherosclerosis and myocardial damage. The ability of plant-based regimens to reduce risk and affect performance was reviewed. The effect of plant-based diets on cardiovascular risk factors, particularly plasma lipid concentrations, body weight, and blood pressure, and, as part of a healthful lifestyle, reversing existing atherosclerotic lesions, may provide a substantial measure of cardiovascular protection. In addition, plant-based diets may offer performance advantages. They have consistently been shown to reduce body fat, leading to a leaner body composition. Because plants are typically high in carbohydrate, they foster effective glycogen storage. By reducing blood viscosity and improving arterial flexibility and endothelial function, they may be expected to improve vascular flow and tissue oxygenation. Because many vegetables, fruits, and other plant-based foods are rich in antioxidants, they help reduce oxidative stress. Diets emphasizing plant foods have also been shown to reduce indicators of inflammation. These features of plant-based diets may present safety and performance advantages for endurance athletes. The purpose of this review was to explore the role of nutrition in providing cardioprotection, with a focus on plant-based diets previously shown to provide cardiac benefits.

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/11/1/130

Perhaps, but it could very easily been seen as an attempt to discredit keto diets.

If you or anyone else want to interpret my little joke and posting a research publication on the health benefits of carbohydrates as "an attempt to discredit keto", then feel free. 

If you or anyone else want to interpret my little joke and posting a research publication on the health benefits of carbohydrates as "an attempt to discredit keto", then feel free. 

Read what I write please. You know what you did and why you did it, don't act stupid. 

Edited by Patchelicious

Read what I write please. You know what you did and why you did it, don't act stupid. 

Should I have my future posts reviewed by a "Keto Trigger Committee", lest a research article be injurious to a follower/sympathizer of the keto diet? 

Should I have my future posts reviewed by a "Keto Trigger Committee", lest a research article be injurious to a follower/sympathizer of the keto diet? 

I do not sympathise with anything in particular, but it does feel a little ironic when you use that word when talking about diets.

After all wasn't all of this vegan stuff on the hub "triggered" when somebody posted this in jest?

veganvegetariansreturntomeatanswer.jpg

Edited by Patchelicious