Can it be done? Cape Town to Knysna on a Road Bike, avoiding the N2

That's as far as my plan currently goes.

I've never cycled more than 100 km in a day (and I want this to take no more than 3 days).

I've never taken a road bike off tar (which I suspect will be necessary if I am to avoid the N2).

I have no cycle packing gear but I'm reasonably good at making a plan and, failing that, suffering.

Any one tackled this route?

Any suggestions?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's as far as my plan currently goes.

I've never cycled more than 100 km in a day (and I want this to take no more than 3 days).

I've never taken a road bike off tar (which I suspect will be necessary if I am to avoid the N2).

I have no cycle packing gear but I'm reasonably good at making a plan and, failing that, suffering.

Any one tackled this route?

Any suggestions?

Yes its do able. Rather easily.

https://www.strava.com/routes/3967530

So taking a road bike on gravel is not out of the question. Tick. Thanks bikebloke.

But which way?

Cycling out of the CT Southern Suburbs looks like it should be avoided (too many dodgy sections, people and cars) so I'm probably looking at a Stellenbosch start (unless someone can convince me otherwise?).

The back of Franschoek looks like quite a start but unavoidable.

The Boland looks pretty dull.

And then things will get interesting. But which way?

I would go over Outenequa pass into George then N2 to Knysna, that part of the N2 is really lekker with nice wide lanes. Otherwise take the 7 passes road mentioned above, you will have to take the down hills slowly though on a road bike.

So taking a road bike on gravel is not out of the question. Tick. Thanks bikebloke.

But which way?

Cycling out of the CT Southern Suburbs looks like it should be avoided (too many dodgy sections, people and cars) so I'm probably looking at a Stellenbosch start (unless someone can convince me otherwise?).

Start by riding to town on bike path, then marine drive, then go via milnerton to Stellenbosch, then du toits, then follow R62. Its on that route  I loaded.

But which way?

actually if you read the thread the 3rd post by JANJAN he did it on a normal road bike ....

and with 25/28c tires a bit of gravel is no problem..

Edited by bikebloke

The one thing I learned from doing LOOONG rides for charity is to take a bit of effort look up the prevailing winds for the time of year you are going to travel.

Doing day after day into headwinds is less fun than it may sound. Other way around - awesome experience!

That's intimidating.

Did you do it?

How many days?

What did you take?

We did not end up doing that route. We just did a 301km ride in one day instead. 

I would aim. 

CT - Robertson

Robertson - Ladiesmith 

Ladiesmith - George

George to Knysna (easy day)

I would go over Outenequa pass into George then N2 to Knysna, that part of the N2 is really lekker with nice wide lanes. Otherwise take the 7 passes road mentioned above, you will have to take the down hills slowly though on a road bike.

Hmm. I hadn't considered going further inland. Why this way?

My end point will be Sedgefield, so a few Ks short of Knysna.

Start by riding to town on bike path, then marine drive, then go via milnerton to Stellenbosch, then du toits, then follow R62. Its on that route  I loaded.

There's a pureness in riding out of your front gate and stopping hundreds of kms later. Is it worth the schlep of circumnavigating CT's dodgy routes?

Yes its do able. Rather easily.

https://www.strava.com/routes/3967530

Nice one! How did you find the N9 -R62 between Oudtshoorn and PE? Isn't it very narrow and full of trucks?

We have done a very similar route - but from Oudtshoorn we popped over to George and then rode on the N2 all the way to PE. Like you've said - the N2 from George (maybe excluding the descent to Wilderness) is really wide and great to ride. My favorite section was through the forests around Storms River, wide yellow lane, smooth tar and beautiful scenery.

Edited by S-Bike

Nice one! How did you find the N9 -R60 between Oudtshoorn and PE? Isn't it very narrow and full of trucks?

We have done a very similar route - but from Oudtshoorn we popped over to George and then rode on the N2 all the way to PE. Like you've said - the N2 from George (maybe excluding the descent to Wilderness) is really wide and great to ride. My favorite section was through the forests around Storms River, wide yellow lane, smooth tar and beautiful scenery.

Have not done the full thing. I have done from Oudtshoorn to Natures valley though. 

Best is to take the old George road to get to Wilderness and avoid that N2 Kaaimans pass. 

Some lekker riding there, even on the road people are actually paying attention on the N2 so its reasonably safe.

The one thing I learned from doing LOOONG rides for charity is to take a bit of effort look up the prevailing winds for the time of year you are going to travel.

Doing day after day into headwinds is less fun than it may sound. Other way around - awesome experience!

I've just checked out some wind forecasts. It's a bit of a gamble. And I'll have a fixed starting date. So not much that can be done there.