For the aviation fans

Lotus

Joh

I’d be a bit hesitant flying on one of these 737 max 8’s at the moment.

Wiki shows 350 have been delivered since 2017

Don’t BA Comair have some?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very bad news for the Boeing 737 Max.  The Indonesian crash last year October was also a 737 8Max, also shorty after takeoff.

Just saw aerial footage of the crash site.  That plane hit the ground at quite a speed.  Could not see any large pieces of wreckage

Yes they do.

SOrry no they don't .... yet.  They have some on order and will only take delivery next year.

https://www.boeing.com/commercial/customers/comair-limited/comair-787-800-delivery.page

Yes they do according to this source, not too sure why Boeing have not updated their own website:

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/02/28/comair-takes-delivery-of-british-airways-liveried-b737-max-8/

Joh

I’d be a bit hesitant flying on one of these 737 max 8’s at the moment.

Wiki shows 350 have been delivered since 2017

Don’t BA Comair have some?

Fleets of Max's are being grounded as we speak ....

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/ethiopian-airlines-plane-crash/index.html

Gebeyehu Fikadu, an eyewitness to Sunday's fatal crash about two-hour drive south of the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa, told CNN that the plane was "swerving and dipping" and belching smoke as it came down.  

"I was in the mountain nearby when I saw the plane reach the mountain before turning around with a lot of smoke coming from the back and then crashed at this site," said the 25-year-old, who was collecting firewood on the mountain with three other locals when it happened.

"It crashed with a large boom. When it crashed luggage and clothes came burning down.

"Before it crashed the plane was swerving and dipping with a lot of smoke coming from the back and also making a very loud unpleasant sound before hitting the ground."

So maybe a different cause than the Lion Air crash. Guess we will need to wait for more details from the investigation.

British Airways passengers will continue to fly on the controversial Boeing 737 Max plane, delivered to Comair two weeks ago.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/ethiopian-airlines-plane-crash/index.html

Gebeyehu Fikadu, an eyewitness to Sunday's fatal crash about two-hour drive south of the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa, told CNN that the plane was "swerving and dipping" and belching smoke as it came down.  

"I was in the mountain nearby when I saw the plane reach the mountain before turning around with a lot of smoke coming from the back and then crashed at this site," said the 25-year-old, who was collecting firewood on the mountain with three other locals when it happened.

"It crashed with a large boom. When it crashed luggage and clothes came burning down.

"Before it crashed the plane was swerving and dipping with a lot of smoke coming from the back and also making a very loud unpleasant sound before hitting the ground."

So maybe a different cause than the Lion Air crash. Guess we will need to wait for more details from the investigation.

That is a very interresting eye witness account.

One thing I’ve learnt wrt to plane crashes is not to take inexperienced eye witness accounts as gospel

British Airways passengers will continue to fly on the controversial Boeing 737 Max plane, delivered to Comair two weeks ago.

Interesting point made on another forum:

"If someone arrives at the gate today at say CPT or JNB and the B737 Max of Comair is standing at the other end of the Jet bridge, and they refuse to board the aircraft due to the news doing it's rounds about the Max crashes, do they lose their ticket? Alternatively, will Comair accommodate them on another flight?

I can only imagine how many nervous passengers there must be around the world boarding the Boeing 737 Max today."

The rumour and speculation machine is in top gear, so much is being said and written that can be safely discounted.

But items like this are chilling reading:

"The disaster in Ethiopia followed the crash of Lion Air’s 737 Max off the coast of Indonesia on October 29. A preliminary report into that flight indicated that pilots struggled to maintain control following an equipment malfunction. The US Federal Aviation Administration is working with Boeing on a possible software change to reduce the chances that such a failure could cause an accident in the future.

Boeing responded to the earlier crash by advising pilots that the Max’s so-called angle-of-attack sensor can provide false readings, causing the plane’s computers to erroneously detect a mid-flight stall in airflow. That in turn can cause the aircraft to abruptly dive to regain the speed the computer has calculated it needs to keep flying. Pilots could counteract the sudden downward tilt by following a checklist in their training manual, the planemaker said.

“The B737 Max design is dangerously flawed,” said Mohan Ranganathan, a former commercial pilot and an aviation safety consultant based in the southern India city of Chennai. "There is a definite similarity between Lion Air and Ethiopian Airlines Max crashes.”

Any likely correlation between the data regarding the rate of climb anomaly of Ethiopian flight, and the angle of attack problem referenced here?

Interesting point made on another forum:

"If someone arrives at the gate today at say CPT or JNB and the B737 Max of Comair is standing at the other end of the Jet bridge, and they refuse to board the aircraft due to the news doing it's rounds about the Max crashes, do they lose their ticket? Alternatively, will Comair accommodate them on another flight?

I can only imagine how many nervous passengers there must be around the world boarding the Boeing 737 Max today."

Problem is that people who do not know much about aviation will generally jump the gun and think every 737 is a MAX. I was watching the news about Ethiopian on E-nuus on Kyknet last night, and (almost) every shot of an Ethiopian aircraft was of a 777, and only one shot, which was too quick to be recognized by Joe-public as such, of a 737, and it was not of a MAX.

I suspect people will now be antsy on whichever plane they fly, and may have reservations of boarding a plane, even if said plane was an A320. To the untrained eye, differentiating between Airbus and Boeing is not very easy.

Knee-jerk reactions might be the order of the day for a while yet.

And everyone is an eggspurt on the subject...

Although my hunch is that this is not related to the issues experienced by Lion Air, which really was a pilot not familiar with a new system and not being able to handle an error condition. Something big went wrong here, out of the pilots control as I can gather,

And everyone is an eggspurt on the subject...

Although my hunch is that this is not related to the issues experienced by Lion Air, which really was a pilot not familiar with a new system and not being able to handle an error condition. Something big went wrong here, out of the pilots control as I can gather,

Maybe a bombe..., said in my best French inspector Claseua voice