For the aviation fans

Lotus

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_0834.jpeg.f72411d1cc912b46d2acc09b651871c2.jpegIMG_0835.jpeg.c5c7181d38621ddc24fbcbd8c7d9ccce.jpegIMG_0837.jpeg.8611c288a50bd2593303e5abd85cffbb.jpegIMG_0839.jpeg.3df61f7ff81aa291eea33175b43b5fb1.jpegIMG_0840.jpeg.d6660ed225be7762453463485b4dfc15.jpegIMG_0841.jpeg.fa891d0b4bffc1b599d158b073a65dd8.jpegI was recently at WEF in Switzerland. we parked at Altenrein for 3 days. Lots of rain followed by  freezing conditions and snow. Took 57 mins and a 24000 litres of Type1 to clean the aeroplane for flight.  Fortunately no anti icing required on departure, very light snow flurry did not last. Was - 8 overnight and  -6 when we arrived at the aerie at 0800.

1 hour ago, Spokey said:

IMG_0834.jpeg.f72411d1cc912b46d2acc09b651871c2.jpegIMG_0835.jpeg.c5c7181d38621ddc24fbcbd8c7d9ccce.jpegIMG_0837.jpeg.8611c288a50bd2593303e5abd85cffbb.jpegIMG_0839.jpeg.3df61f7ff81aa291eea33175b43b5fb1.jpegIMG_0840.jpeg.d6660ed225be7762453463485b4dfc15.jpegIMG_0841.jpeg.fa891d0b4bffc1b599d158b073a65dd8.jpegI was recently at WEF in Switzerland. we parked at Altenrein for 3 days. Lots of rain followed by  freezing conditions and snow. Took 57 mins and a 24000 litres of Type1 to clean the aeroplane for flight.  Fortunately no anti icing required on departure, very light snow flurry did not last. Was - 8 overnight and  -6 when we arrived at the aerie at 0800.

I was wondering if you were there.  That looks almost invitingly fun here in Ape Town where the mercury is hovering around ~34 deg C.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I was wondering if you were there.  That looks almost invitingly fun here in Ape Town where the mercury is hovering around ~34 deg C.

Yeah, was very lekker. I like St Gallen where we stay. Came in from St Maarten in the Dutch Antilles then 2 days in Kuwait followed by a long flight to Nassau in Bahamas.  Sitting in Bahamas now.

18 hours ago, Spokey said:

I remember in 2015 we flew from Joburg to Munich via Zurich.  We were the first plane to land on Zurich that morning and it snowed during the night.  It was a lovely approach in the dark.  The plane we got in to fly from Zurich to Munich was still fully covered with snow when we boarded and obviously got sprayed just before take off.

24 000 liters is quite a bit.  My pool that I had in SA held about 30 000 liters.  What does the de icing cost nowadays per liter?

44 minutes ago, Bateleur1 said:

I remember in 2015 we flew from Joburg to Munich via Zurich.  We were the first plane to land on Zurich that morning and it snowed during the night.  It was a lovely approach in the dark.  The plane we got in to fly from Zurich to Munich was still fully covered with snow when we boarded and obviously got sprayed just before take off.

24 000 liters is quite a bit.  My pool that I had in SA held about 30 000 liters.  What does the de icing cost nowadays per liter?

That little lot was a little over 24000 Swiss Francs. A lot of cash.  So much was used because of the thick ice layer below the snow. Sadly the available hangar to rent was already booked. It also a tight squeeze for a Global 7500 so the handlers are reluctant to use it for anything larger than a Global 6000. Anyways, we do not de ice  often so I guess we can’t grumble…..not that there is any choice if you need to go flying!!

On 1/24/2024 at 10:03 AM, Spokey said:

That little lot was a little over 24000 Swiss Francs. A lot of cash.  So much was used because of the thick ice layer below the snow. Sadly the available hangar to rent was already booked. It also a tight squeeze for a Global 7500 so the handlers are reluctant to use it for anything larger than a Global 6000. Anyways, we do not de ice  often so I guess we can’t grumble…..not that there is any choice if you need to go flying!!

Not too excessive the  costs..... just about 2x S-works Epic Evo's.....😎

• 2 weeks later...

Got treated to an impromptu airshow directly above my house late afternoon when the three SAAF BAE Hawks and two Gripens formed up and did race track laps waiting for the SONA fly over. Then afterwards the two Gripens were back doing very tight circles again directly overhead at full afterburner, setting off car alarms, rattling windows and making small kids cry. What a treat. 

Apologies for the very poor quality pics.

IMG_20240208_224431.jpg.f9a782a41621d6a527bd181e00ffbff4.jpg

9 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Got treated to an impromptu airshow directly above my house late afternoon when THE WHOLE OF THE ZAFFA AIRFORCE formed up and did race track laps waiting for the SONA fly over. Then afterwards the two Gripens were back doing very tight circles again directly overhead at full afterburner, setting off car alarms, rattling windows and making small kids cry. What a treat. Apologies for the very poor quality pics.

There, I fixed it for you

11 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Got treated to an impromptu airshow directly above my house late afternoon when the three SAAF BAE Hawks and two Gripens formed up and did race track laps waiting for the SONA fly over. Then afterwards the two Gripens were back doing very tight circles again directly overhead at full afterburner, setting off car alarms, rattling windows and making small kids cry. What a treat. 

I work directly under the flight path, had many many fly byes over the week or so that they were flying.

Really awesome to see and hear, especially when they give it beans, the very first one to fly over shook the building, it was low,it was fast, it was loud.

They came over my house last Saturday morning. My folks were at my place and my mom was talking to me. I heard them coming and told her to keep quiet. She carried on talking so I ran outside to my front garden. My wife, boys and folks went to the back and they had a perfect view, I saw bugger all. But the noise was amazing. My dogs disappeared, shame they weren’t happy. 

39 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

They came over my house last Saturday morning. My folks were at my place and my mom was talking to me. I heard them coming and told her to keep quiet. She carried on talking so I ran outside to my front garden. My wife, boys and folks went to the back and they had a perfect view, I saw bugger all. But the noise was amazing. My dogs disappeared, shame they weren’t happy. 

Many years ago Mike Beechy Head caused me to fall out of bed really early on a Sunday morning when he came over at tree top hight in his Electric Lightning. From fast asleep to shock to try to flee to ending up paraletic on the floor in the blink of an eye. (I was till a little touchy after my national service.) My dear wife laughed her head off and then felt guilty about it, but I don't think for long, because I also started laughing like an idiot.

Ps. That Electric Lightning was LOUD!

Edited by DJR

51 minutes ago, DJR said:

That Electric Lightning was LOUD!

very loud indeed. And so awesome to hear. I won't soon forget one of the original AAD at Ysterplaat  in the 2000's when Mike Beechy Head and another pilot flew a display and then they departed to altitude before coming overhead and caused a sonic boom.

That "bha-"bhaaa" and the roar of those Rolls Royce jet engines was unforgettable.

13 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

It is almost end of the year for the budget so the Air Force  might have a few litres of jet fuel to  burn :D

NATO is currently busy with one massive exercise somewhere.  That means increased traffic of military aircraft and fighters where I stay.  They are normally pretty fast and I don't always get to see them before they are gone.  But have a had a few F16's giving it stick and then quite often Eurofighters and Tornado's showing off. 

1 minute ago, Bateleur1 said:

It is almost end of the year for the budget so the Air Force  might have a few litres of jet fuel to  burn :D

NATO is currently busy with one massive exercise somewhere.  That means increased traffic of military aircraft and fighters where I stay.  They are normally pretty fast and I don't always get to see them before they are gone.  But have a had a few F16's giving it stick and then quite often Eurofighters and Tornado's showing off. 

Last week I quickly stopped off at a shop on the way home from a ride, and as I got back to my vehicle, I happened to look up and saw a Airbus A400M depart Ysterplaat overhead. That was quite interesting to see, and I'm guessing it was because of the German contingent being in town for some exercise with the SA Navy. I don't know what they were doing though, as the SA Navy probably consists of two rubber ducks and a SUP. I saw 3 x Luftwaffe Tornado's a couple years back also around Feb come low and fast past my house on the way to TFDC Overberg. They did a detour over Cape Town, and those were three really cool planes to see in the flesh.

In 2012 I was in Israel, and saw a whole bunch of F16's doing BFM maneuvers overhead on the afternoon before I returned to SA. It was quite cool to see that. They were busy probably for over an hour. I was with a tour group, and they were doing a guided walk along Caesarea, but I opted to park myself on the grass at the start and said I will join when they return. Spent the arvie watching the airshow. 

1 hour ago, Bateleur1 said:

It was in celebration of their birthday