Strava or operator, something is wrong

Hi All.

Just to clarify. I am BBC. Born before computers so I am doing something wrong possibly.

I have a TICKR X heart rate monitor which I use. Not every day. It is linked to Strava (open) via my cellphone. I see the heart rate at the beginning of the ride registering on Strava on my phone. During the ride the phone is in my back pocket. At the end of the ride I stop, save and upload the session.

It registers everyting correctly even showing the graphs of the speed and elevation gain. Since a month ago it does not save the heartrate or it might be saving it but it does not do the graph.

Second problem. Went training yesterday and it does not want to upload the session. It says no internet connection. I tried both phone data and wifi. I can see all my previous rides but it does not give me the breakdown. I cannot see the other peoples data (rides).

Any advice?

Thanks Johan

Can't advise on strava issue, but I strongly recommend refraining from referring to yourself as BBC in future... It has a very different, far more popular connotation...

Check your health data permission settings and allow access to it in Strava Settings.

Second problem I don't have a possible solution for.

Can't advise on strava issue, but I strongly recommend refraining from referring to yourself as BBC in future... It has a very different, far more popular connotation...

That caused a early morning chuckle

Check which version of Strava you are running. Should be 77.0.0.

I was having all sorts of issues for the last 6 weeks on 76.0

Tom

Strava is a strange old thing if you log a ride using a phone. If you go into the phone settings and look at the permission or priority settings you need to allow Strava priority over other apps on your phone. What this does is that it will give Strava priority of the signal when going through a "weak" or "low" signal area.

This may or may not work. I've discovered that some phones sorts out the issues when you play with the settings on it but, other phones like the Huawei tend to loose information the longer you keep the GPS mode active,.

In my opinion:

I would just go ahead and purchase a GPS unit and use the phone to call someone in an emergency or if you have a big enough phone to throw at a would be attacker  :thumbup:

I'm already on version 80 

Check which version of Strava you are running. Should be 77.0.0.

I was having all sorts of issues for the last 6 weeks on 76.0

Tom

Johan, have you tried going on the Strava app on your phone, Settings, Link Other Services, Connect a device to Strava..Then go to Wahoo..disconnecting it, and reconnecting it as you did in the beginning?

I'm already on version 80 

You're right! Wonder why o  earth they are doing so many updates!

Tom

Mine is version 9.0.0.

Thanks will try to link it again.

As far as the other problem. Strava has recorded the training but now does not see the "signal".

I had similar issues with Strava just deciding to quit recording the mid section of my previous ride. I normally use Polar V800, but it's in for repairs.

Now I am more.confused. I have downloaded STRAVA on my desktop computer and logged in with my password.

I can see all my rides as well as the rides from the people I follow. Up to Wednesday. Any rides after Wednesday is not there.

On my phone I cannot see any rides of people I follow. I went training this morning and Strava did record it but cannot upload. In simple (BBC) terms Strava does not see the data signal on my phone. All other apps are working.

I tried to see if I can switch it on somewhere but I cant. Also dont have money currently to buy a Garmin device. I will have to fix otherwise I have nothing.

Also scared to uninstall and re install as I am scared to lose some of the data especiall the 2 rides not uploaded.

Is there somebody I can call for help. On the internet it looks like a few other people have similar problems but no solution was offered.

Now I am more.confused. I have downloaded STRAVA on my desktop computer and logged in with my password.

I can see all my rides as well as the rides from the people I follow. Up to Wednesday. Any rides after Wednesday is not there.

On my phone I cannot see any rides of people I follow. I went training this morning and Strava did record it but cannot upload. In simple (BBC) terms Strava does not see the data signal on my phone. All other apps are working.

I tried to see if I can switch it on somewhere but I cant. Also dont have money currently to buy a Garmin device. I will have to fix otherwise I have nothing.

Also scared to uninstall and re install as I am scared to lose some of the data especiall the 2 rides not uploaded.

Is there somebody I can call for help. On the internet it looks like a few other people have similar problems but no solution was offered.

This is definitely a phone / data saver setting and not a Strava issue (My opinion) - Have you tried uploading the training sessions via WiFi? Your last two sessions are not uploading because the phone is trying to save the data being used. Yes, if you uninstall Strava now you will loose the two training sessions that has not yet been uploaded onto the Strava database. All the other information will still be on your profile, that will not go anywhere. 

Here's some possible trouble shooting solutions I can think of: 

1) Try to remember if you changed some of the settings on the phone between the last time the app worked and now

2) Have a look to see if your phone did some updates which could change the data usage settings

3) Switch over to Map My Ride, Fit track, Enodomondo to see if any of those apps works

4) Get  bicycle computer for under R200 from any of the local bike shops - something like a ryder or whatever just so you do have some data. You could then manually upload your rides to Strava after every ride

Lastly - I have a polar CS300 just lying at home, it comes with a speed and cadence sensor along with a HR strap. Now it's by no means a new Garmin Fenix or Polar V800 and you'll have to upload the data to Strava via the PC with bluetooth (which I've never tried) - Don't even know how to go about doing so  :blink:. But you can have it, the battery has however died and will have to be replaced by Polar. HotSpot will be able to send it to them for you, the last time I had that done it was R100.00 

This is definitely a phone / data saver setting and not a Strava issue (My opinion) - Have you tried uploading the training sessions via WiFi? Your last two sessions are not uploading because the phone is trying to save the data being used. Yes, if you uninstall Strava now you will loose the two training sessions that has not yet been uploaded onto the Strava database. All the other information will still be on your profile, that will not go anywhere.

Here's some possible trouble shooting solutions I can think of:

1) Try to remember if you changed some of the settings on the phone between the last time the app worked and now

2) Have a look to see if your phone did some updates which could change the data usage settings

3) Switch over to Map My Ride, Fit track, Enodomondo to see if any of those apps works

4) Get bicycle computer for under R200 from any of the local bike shops - something like a ryder or whatever just so you do have some data. You could then manually upload your rides to Strava after every ride

Lastly - I have a polar CS300 just lying at home, it comes with a speed and cadence sensor along with a HR strap. Now it's by no means a new Garmin Fenix or Polar V800 and you'll have to upload the data to Strava via the PC with bluetooth (which I've never tried) - Don't even know how to go about doing so :blink:. But you can have it, the battery has however died and will have to be replaced by Polar. HotSpot will be able to send it to them for you, the last time I had that done it was R100.00

Hi Robert.

Thanks for all the info it is much appreciated. I will try again.

Thanks for the offer on the watch. I will send you a PM.

Johan

Uninstalled Strava and down loaded it from scratch.

Keep on saying to me no internet connection when I sign in. So clearly a setting on my phone. Just cant find it. So frustrating.

Archived