Need a second opinion please

Arrie

I would like your guys opinion please. Do you guys think this a manufacturing fault or it was knocked.

post-109119-0-55395000-1547196684_thumb.jpgpost-109119-0-23015100-1547196707_thumb.jpgpost-109119-0-53897700-1547196723_thumb.jpg

I have fallen with the bike a few months ago which caused the scratches below however the above issue only happen last month

post-109119-0-28003500-1547196804_thumb.jpg

I was told the issue happened because something knocked it as below picturepost-109119-0-04911300-1547196848_thumb.jpg

also to add, the manufacturer pointed out scratches that was on the inside of my fork which happened due to a spoke that broke and I had to ride home like that, which is making me uncomfortable. This also happened after I showed them the initial peeling but they could not book in the bike as head office was closed.

Edited by #Arrie

I understand that but could it crack there if I fell on the opposite side of the head tube and also way lower as the scratches show in the second last pic?

Look like a fall to the left might have bumped the headset to the right causing the superficial damage on the opposite side of the initial impact.

Parhaps there was some forces via impact on the handlebars?

You live in CA, so I'm sure there are a few carbon manufacturing places around, repairing cars, making car parts, wheels etc. 

Find someone with an ultrasound machine and ask them to scan around the head tube, to look for voids etc. They should be able to tell you whether there's a manufacturing fault around the area.

Good luck

I tried taking a screenshot of your photo to illustrate something, but couldn't get it right.

Is that another crack starting to develop a few cm down and to the right of the broken area in your photo?

It is starting to crack more to the right of the damaged area

I see the bottom to the right part now, I haven't seen that before. Thank you, I will check it out

@longbarn killer that isnt a crack however i picked up the below, that is where the top tube and head tube meets

@longbarn killer that isnt a crack however i picked up the below, that is where the top tube and head tube meets

post-109119-0-54431900-1547379119_thumb.jpg

post-109119-0-36080600-1547379150_thumb.jpg

post-109119-0-07963800-1547379163_thumb.jpg

Edited by #Arrie

If you have look at the direction of how things "broke" ... that was caused by an impact for sure.

How many spacers do you have on there, seems like a long steerer tube?

Anyway ... any chance you had a headset replaced or serviced recently ... not impossible that that impact could have been caused by a hammer slightly missing the mark :blush:

post-4352-0-93936400-1547384176_thumb.jpg

In all honesty pain chips *super* easily around edges like that. It could have been the smallest little bump that caused it. My old Specialized frame had a bunch of them that appeared without any known impacts, just a weak area really.

If you have look at the direction of how things "broke" ... that was caused by an impact for sure.

How many spacers do you have on there, seems like a long steerer tube?

Anyway ... any chance you had a headset replaced or serviced recently ... not impossible that that impact could have been caused by a hammer slightly missing the mark :blush:

capture24.jpg

4 spacers, i had my bike serviced at one of their stores and they replaced headset bearings????

Edited by #Arrie

what frame is it?

every carbon frame has metal inserts molded into the frame at the headset, BB, suspension pivots etc..  The metal insert would typically protrude quite far into the carbon, so to me that looks like aesthetic damage only.  I'd only start worrying if the metal part becomes loose within the carbon and in that case I would argue very strongly towards a factory fault...

that said, i wouldn't like it if it were my frame, but honestly it looks like they covered the metal insert with a thin layer of resin to hide it away, and what you're seeing is just the resin that chipped off.

I would also say it looks like paint chip not a structural problem.

Problem with alu inserts on carbon frame is carbon and alu doesn't like each other have seen this around bb's before as well and was told its only the paint.

Have some of the carbon repair guys look at it I know CBR in Durbanville is great and always willing to help.

Thanks for assisting guys, i am definitely taking it for a an xray. I will try CBR and hear what they say????