Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

Also don't like the DHR for the rear. But just because it feels like there is glue on my back tyre when I pedal. I have yet to do a trail in SA that needs more than an Aggressor on the rear.

On another note, got myself a 29x2.6 Spaz Eliminator in Grid to replace the nearly dead DHF on the hardtail. PhilipV and CJVan both say it's a briliant tyre, so I'm quite keen to see how it rides - need to tear the side knobs off the DHF first though!

In comparison to the Mary, it pedalled quite well... :lol:

ITO the aggressor, if it came in 2.5 DD variant, locally, I'd be on it like a fat kid on a cupcake. Loved the 2.3, but I prefer slightly higher volume tyres than the maxxis 2.3 comes out at. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In comparison to the Mary, it pedalled quite well... :lol:

ITO the aggressor, if it came in 2.5 DD variant, locally, I'd be on it like a fat kid on a cupcake. Loved the 2.3, but I prefer slightly higher volume tyres than the maxxis 2.3 comes out at.

Yeah the 2.5 has nice volume to it - currently riding one. I am going to ask a friend that lives in Hong Kong to bring a few DD versions over for me when he visits again. The Exo version hasn't failed me yet, but I see the value in DD on the rear...

I don't understand why Rush Sport bring in DD versions of typical front tyres where you don't need it and only Exo versions of typical rear tyres.

At least Spaz has Black Diamond compound for their tyres now, and if this Eliminator is as good as advertised it may be worthwhile running front Grid and rear Black Diamond.

Yeah the 2.5 has nice volume to it - currently riding one. I am going to ask a friend that lives in Hong Kong to bring a few DD versions over for me when he visits again. The Exo version hasn't failed me yet, but I see the value in DD on the rear...

I don't understand why Rush Sport bring in DD versions of typical front tyres where you don't need it and only Exo versions of typical rear tyres.

At least Spaz has Black Diamond compound for their tyres now, and if this Eliminator is as good as advertised it may be worthwhile running front Grid and rear Black Diamond.

DUDE. YES. Like, all I want is a DD / DH casing tyre (not much weight diff between the 2, funnily) but with a MaxxTrail compound. That's ALL. 

The Elim unf doesn't come in BD casing on 650, locally, otherwise I'd have been running those front and back. 

EDIT: Yes, I know BD at the front may be overkill, but I still want it to save me from my stupidity... 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

• 5 weeks later...

I've started stuffing up my new rear wheel with a rock ding nearly every ride. I'm running exo casing 2.5 Aggressors at 30 - 32 psi. The last one was my fault as I went  off line and hopped into the edge of some nice sharp rocks... Tyre survived 100% but the rim took a big ding which I've straightened but the writing is on the wall methinks...

A couple of questions: 1. Do foam tyre inserts actually help with rim protection or pinch flats or both. Real life experience? 2. Would I be better served by simply running a DD or DH tyre? 3. What about a narrower eg 25mm rim which I suspect would be less in harms way? 4. Simply get a better and harder rear rim?

My thinking is based on experiences with my 26er HT which has 32 spokes Stans flows and Exo Ardents on it. I've had one puncture and although the rim is a bit dinged, it has suffered far less than my 170mm enduro bike rims. The flows are only 23mm ID running 2.4 tyres and despite being hammered into rocks, I've never had a pinch flat. Narrower rims FTW maybe? 

I've started stuffing up my new rear wheel with a rock ding nearly every ride. I'm running exo casing 2.5 Aggressors at 30 - 32 psi. The last one was my fault as I went  off line and hopped into the edge of some nice sharp rocks... Tyre survived 100% but the rim took a big ding which I've straightened but the writing is on the wall methinks...

A couple of questions: 1. Do foam tyre inserts actually help with rim protection or pinch flats or both. Real life experience? 2. Would I be better served by simply running a DD or DH tyre? 3. What about a narrower eg 25mm rim which I suspect would be less in harms way? 4. Simply get a better and harder rear rim?

My thinking is based on experiences with my 26er HT which has 32 spokes Stans flows and Exo Ardents on it. I've had one puncture and although the rim is a bit dinged, it has suffered far less than my 170mm enduro bike rims. The flows are only 23mm ID running 2.4 tyres and despite being hammered into rocks, I've never had a pinch flat. Narrower rims FTW maybe? 

Is the Enduro running on a pair of Spaz rims?

1 - yes, partially, but IMO they're more hassle and actually weigh more than a proper casing tyre would. 

2 - yes. Most definitely. Fewer issue with aliens in your sealant, proper strength sidewalls and less squirm. DD / DH >>>>>>> Exo & insert. FAR tougher, no wobbling inserts in the tyres (a real thing, trust me) and it's far less likely to tear / cut than the exo. Also lower likelihood of flatting due to the extra material. This also protects the rim to an extent. Did I say stronger?

3: Wider rims provide a better & stronger support base for the tyre. Narrower rims wouldn't mitigate the dings, if anything they'd perpetuate them given the same riding style. 

4 - you ride the HT differently. Less smash, more float. It makes a huge difference.  

Had the FOAMOs in 3 sets of tyres. Aggressor 2.3, Spaz Slaughter 2.6 & an Onza Citius. Took it out when I changed to stronger tyres and I haven't looked back. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Harder rims will pinch your EXO rear tyre, but wont ding the rim. So If you go DDown on the rear, you'll be ok. I'm in berlin next week. Wish EXO plus was available for the AGGRESSOR. I might just go for the EXo regardless. 

thicker tyres and harder rim 

tyre just go with A harder casing of which ever you like , rim I'd recommend wtb frequency team i25/i29

bashed mine into rocks where the rock came off second best and the rim had A tiny ding if you went looking for it 

Okay, sounds like the best option is a DD rear tyre. Anyone seen an Aggressor in DD 27.5. I'd even be happy with a 2.3.

1 - yes, partially, but IMO they're more hassle and actually weigh more than a proper casing tyre would. 

2 - yes. Most definitely. Fewer issue with aliens in your sealant, proper strength sidewalls and less squirm. DD / DH >>>>>>> Exo & insert. FAR tougher, no wobbling inserts in the tyres (a real thing, trust me) and it's far less likely to tear / cut than the exo. Also lower likelihood of flatting due to the extra material. This also protects the rim to an extent. Did I say stronger?

3: Wider rims provide a better & stronger support base for the tyre. Narrower rims wouldn't mitigate the dings, if anything they'd perpetuate them given the same riding style. 

4 - you ride the HT differently. Less smash, more float. It makes a huge difference.  

Had the FOAMOs in 3 sets of tyres. Aggressor 2.3, Spaz Slaughter 2.6 & an Onza Citius. Took it out when I changed to stronger tyres and I haven't looked back. 

I agree with you re the HT riding style - its a case of float and pray sometimes - but I get it wrong all the time. Had a very hard hit yesterday but it just shrugged it off.

I disagree on the rim width. I think that logically, a narrower rim has more tyre ballooning out beyond the edge of the rim which probably protects the rim more. 

I disagree on the rim width. I think that logically, a narrower rim has more tyre ballooning out beyond the edge of the rim which probably protects the rim more. 

But the dings from landing on a sharp rock don't come from the side, they come from the tyre compressing until the rim actually hits the rock (i.e. straight up through the tyre). What keeps that from happening is the air in the tyre and a higher volume of air does a better job of cushioning the impacts than a lower volume. Hence why wider rims would be better than narrower to prevent rim dings.

But the dings from landing on a sharp rock don't come from the side, they come from the tyre compressing until the rim actually hits the rock (i.e. straight up through the tyre). What keeps that from happening is the air in the tyre and a higher volume of air does a better job of cushioning the impacts than a lower volume. Hence why wider rims would be better than narrower to prevent rim dings.

This. 

The wider the base (distance between the beads) the stronger the structure will be, up to a point. 

A higher volume of air also take longer to ramp up as the pressure changes from the external factor