Garmin watch options - need advice

Chingy182

Bite the bullet and pay the extra for a Fenix 5 sapphire. I went with the 5s model which is a slightly smaller face; it is an outstanding everyday watch as well as a 'sports watch'. It does cost a little extra, but a few years from now, you'll know where that extra went...

I know what you are saying and I've wanted a Fenix 5 since day 1, just because it's the coolest thing out there since Albert Einstein invented sliced bread.

My only cons are that I don't care much for added features like maps, etc. (until maybe someday I get shown how to use everything properly - you never know)

I like my basics.

Overkill and Price is currently against the Fenix 5 watches, plus I don't know the differences between the 5 S, 5x or 5 plus or whatever they're all called.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 5s is the slightly smaller one, ideal for women I'm told, and also for okes like me with small wrists. It doesn't have maps; it is also slightly less dear than the chunkier 5x, which has maps. The Plus is the big fella - too big, I think, but includes maps and music on board - more functions than I'd want, to be sure... 

The 5s is the slightly smaller one, ideal for women I'm told, and also for okes like me with small wrists. It doesn't have maps; it is also slightly less dear than the chunkier 5x, which has maps. The Plus is the big fella - too big, I think, but includes maps and music on board - more functions than I'd want, to be sure... 

Thanks for the educational tip :)

I'm looking for some advice from you guys please.

I can't seem to get the idea out of my head that I want/need a Garmin training watch.

My heart has been set on a Fenix 5 Sapphire with HRM strap, but I just can't seem to commit myself to biting the bullet due to the price.

Recently I've been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 735XT Tri bundle and the Garmin Forerunner 935 Force Tri bundle.

Any Pro's & Cons to these watches?

They both seem to do a fantastic job, are a bit cheaper than the Fenix.

My first concern is the glass vs sapphire ito scratching - I'm rather prone to falling once in a while.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated in making a decision.

Hi 

I have the 735 and I am very happy with it. Over the years I seem to have had many Garmin's. What that tells me is electronic watches don't last. The eventual **** the bed and normally a week / month after the warranty expires.

When that happens, NavWolrd will have you covered. Top shop that!

My 735 is fantastic but I'm on my second one already. It does everything I need but does not have a barometer. For me, not a big deal but if you a serious rider and need accurate altitude, then consider the 935.

My advise is buy the cheapest watch that ticks all your boxes as eventual they will fail. (Well mine have...)

Having said all of the above, in my view Garmin are the best and worth getting for multi sport.

For cycling only get the Edge and be done with it....

Hope that helps.

Edited by MarcL

Hi 

I have the 735 and I am very happy with it. Over the years I seem to have had many Garmin's. What that tells me is electronic watches don't last. The eventual **** the bed and normally a week / month after the warranty expires.

When that happens, NavWolrd will have you covered. Top shop that!

My 735 is fantastic but I'm on my second one already. It does everything I need but does not have a barometer. For me, not a big deal but if you a serious rider and need accurate altitude, then consider the 935.

My advise is buy the cheapest watch that ticks all your boxes as eventual they will fail. (Well mine have...)

Having said all of the above, in my view Garmin are the best and worth getting for multi sport.

For cycling only get the Edge and be done with it....

Hope that helps.

What's been your 735 life expectancy?

If it's around 2 years, then might not be worth it.

Fenix 3 have been around for Yonkels and still seem to be going strong.

I have also been considering a garmin watch for the past 2 months. Thought I was set on the FR 645 but leaning towards the Fenix 5 now. I am going to hang a bit. Rumour has it they are bringing out a new watch in the next month or 3

FYI for any Momentum Multiply members, their online shop has good discounts on most Garmin Products. I was on their highest level and got 40% discount on all our Garmin device: Fenix 3 Saphire, Vivoactive 3 and two Edge130 bundles. All in all it saved me about R12k

I dig my Fenix 3 HR. Has everything I need for riding and running. Other lekker apps for fishing etc.

Works well with the app.

Sorry for the Off topic, but what fishing apps are you using? I gave up after a few poor ones

What's been your 735 life expectancy?

If it's around 2 years, then might not be worth it.

Fenix 3 have been around for Yonkels and still seem to be going strong.

Had my 735XT for 2.5 years with no problems. Being electronics, it will stop working one day - but Garmin’s replacement policy is good enough.

The 310XT is mounted on my stem, and just doesn’t want to break. When it does, I’ll go the replacement policy route and take whatever is on offer at the time. If the 735XT lasts as long, then bonus.

Oh, and I seldom press the buttons while riding. There’s only a certain amount of info that’s relevant to view while riding and/or running - and that’s on view most of the time.

The screenshot I sent with the multiple data (Dozen Cycle) has a similar one for running, it’s called Race Screen.

62c62879ee2bee97ad379856be1b95f8.jpg

ec72441864652536da5af768596cf55e.jpg

Lots of advice given here already.  I will just say I got a VivoActive 3 on a special end of last year for 150€.  Going rate here is normally about 230-250€.  I wanted a mid range multi sport Garmin.  The vivo active is superb in that and it is brings quite a bit of functionality with it.  I do a lot of indoor swimming in the winter here and it works well wrt to measuring distances and times that I swim.  

NB. VivoActive does not measure HR while swimming.   So if you want to go full on tri-athlon you will have to go upper ranges.

I also have a Edge 820 so the VA will not be used as such wrt to Cycling but all my Cycling things (speed sensor, cadence and PowerMeter) should work with it according to Garmin.

I am to date very happy with my purchase.

Sorry for the Off topic, but what fishing apps are you using? I gave up after a few poor ones

Mainly just the garmin tides app and the Barometer.

FYI for any Momentum Multiply members, their online shop has good discounts on most Garmin Products. I was on their highest level and got 40% discount on all our Garmin device: Fenix 3 Saphire, Vivoactive 3 and two Edge130 bundles. All in all it saved me about R12k

I'm on Multiply, which is why I'm on the lookout and doing my comparisons.

You can even get reimbursed from your Health Saver for the cost of your device for Active Days.

This is what I don't get.

Buying a HRM strap is about R2000 on most sites, R1800 sometimes.

Then why the jump of R2700 from 735XT to 735XT with HRM strap?

Or am I missing something? Does the Tri watch have different features?

The Tri bundle comes with 2 different heart rate straps. The HRM-Tri which works in the water and gives you all the running metrics. And the HRM-Swim which is wider and stickier and designed for swimming in a pool (doesn't slide off when you push off the walls and isn't affected as much by the chemicals in the water). You can use the HRM-Swim out of the water as a normal heart rate strap but I wouldn't recommend it, its not very comfortable (it also doesn't give you the running metrics).

As to your last question, no, the watches are identical.

I bought a Garmin Instinct online from a UK shop.  Arrived 2 days later at R4300 including SA VAT instead of the R6200 that Sportmans is advertising at.

Does what it says on the box, plus I had a huge wipeout in a rock garden and hit the watch hard on a rock.  scratch on the bezel, but watch still working fine.

Andrew

What did they charge you on customs??

What did they charge you on customs??

Should be FOB value* 1.1*1.15 for the VAT and then a handling fee.