Giant Trance 29 vs Scott Spark

thebob

just asking what weight is your bike ??  

No idea. I'll try get a scale out to the garage this weekend. Feels lighter than the 940 Spark.

Edit: Flow magazine in Aus says 13.06kg

Edited by the_bob

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea. I'll try get a scale out to the garage this weekend. Feels lighter than the 940 Spark.

Edit: Flow magazine in Aus says 13.06kg

im leaning towards one myself ( had one in 2014 ..27.5 ) then went for a Spaz stumpy 29er ..and now getting that itch again :) 

look forward to your long ride report

So, did 45km on the Spruit today. The Trance 29 was properAF! The bikev pedals really well. Uphill was a bit tougher than in the Spark, but downhill was amazing. The Delta berms were absolutely rad! I only locked it out once for a road section. For the rest it was open the whole time. The wide rims and the Maxxis Minions have enormous grip, even in the wet and slick conditions today. The suspension is much more active than on the Spark, so I could power through the rough, instead of picking lines and being careful. So yes, I love the Giant and have no regrets about buying it. I think it is a very capable and balanced bike that offers great spec and excellent value for the price. I cannot wait to get it out on the trails at Hennops and Buffesldrift

Edited by the_bob

My feedback on trance old 27.5

Super fun bike, promotes confidence, almost bombproof.

on the down side, doesn't climb as well ( more effort) also heavy as hell

Completely different bike, and weighs as much as you put into it. :P

I wish Giant would have a bike test day around here in Gauteng but I have not heard of any such.

More than likely I would buy an Anthem - have a specific weapon for the specific task.

Have you tried calling Trailwolf Cycles in PTA?

They not the quickest at getting back to you will details but i'm sure they have some stock on the shop floor that you could test. Just pitch up and chat to them.

personally i prefer the look of the giant compared to the radon...Also giant is a little better specked ..12speed ..carbon rims etc....but just my personal opinion :)

I have the idea kicking around in my noggin of ditching my 170mm 650B and getting something along the lines of 140mm 29.

Giant Trance is on the list, but I can get this baby in carbon at a price where the Trance simply can't compete price wise.

299310.jpg

What about the new Guerilla Gravity?

What about the new Guerilla Gravity?

Would never be able to get it for the same price. The GG frameset would probably be around the price of a full bike, if comparing with the Radon. 

Would never be able to get it for the same price. The GG frameset would probably be around the price of a full bike, if comparing with the Radon.

Wow, then the Radon sounds like a no-brainer!

Alrighty then. Did Hennops on the Trance on Saturday. Wasn't pushing super hard or going for a Strava PB (though the JMBC crowd called me a "racing snake" :D ), but I did manage my best average speed on a ride to date. Before the ride I installed some sintered pads in the Guide R brakes, which definitely added a load more bite to the stopping power. The only thing is the pads rattle about a fair bit. I stretched open the spring a bit last night and bled the system. Brakes feel much better after that. All in all I'm still really chuffed with the bike. Making a change to a DT Swiss 54t ratchet hub this weekend for much quicker crank engagement and more buzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Edited by the_bob

@ the_bob ..sounds better everytime you ride it...making me jelaaaaas 

is changing to the DT Swiss 54t just a matter of dropping the ratchet in the original Giant wheels ...or did you upgrade ??

Edited by Mawbs

About 5 months since I bought my SCOTT Spark 940.

My only regret .... been losing too much saddle time with the flu .....  :wacko:

LOVE the Spark !!!  :clap:   :clap:

Cant comment on the modern Giants, other than on our last ride 4 of the 7 bikes were Giants !!  And each owner loved his own bike !    :clap:   MAny moons back I actually owned the Giant ATX rigid ....Gone are the days of "bad" bikes ... sure, sometimes the one just "feels" better for a particular rider ..... 

Beginning to believe that we buy these bikes firstly on looks, and then convince ourselves it rides better than the next ...   :whistling:   :ph34r:

Edited by ChrisF

@ the_bob ..sounds better everytime you ride it...making me jelaaaaas 

is changing to the DT Swiss 54t just a matter of dropping the ratchet in the original Giant wheels ...or did you upgrade ??

Stock hub is a DT 3 pawl one. Apparently a ratchet upgrade can be done, but it is a proper bodge. Got a DT 350 hub and ratchet kit which Nic the Wheelbuilder is sorting for me

• 4 months later...

I have the idea kicking around in my noggin of ditching my 170mm 650B and getting something along the lines of 140mm 29. 

Giant Trance is on the list, but I can get this baby in carbon at a price where the Trance simply can't compete price wise. 

299310.jpg

What company sell these? They look quite awesome.