Best bike workshops in Cape Town Southern Suburbs

Wayne Hartmann

Not trying to put any shop down but here is my personal view of the shops close to me, and fairly close to Newlands.

Crown Cycles - Love them, will always support them, but workshop turn around time is too slow for me.

Olympic Cycles - Big on Service, but they overpriced, i don't support them.

Bridge Cycles - 1 too many horror stories

Trail & Tar - Love them, quick workshop turn around time, like the transparency of the workshop, will always try to assist on the fly if possible. Maybe not the cheapest but high service driven.

Crown Cycles is my go to but have also used Sportopia in Salt River.

What was your experience like, If I may be so bold to ask.

What was your experience like, If I may be so bold to ask.

I didn't have an issue at all but my colleagues service came to alot more than what he though it would because he needed a new chain and cassette but I'm not sure what was discussed when the bike was handed in. 

I'm poor so when I hand over stuff to be serviced I ask that I get a call to say what needs replacing even though they can see the poorness in my eyes.... 

Crown Cycles is my go to but have also used Sportopia in Salt River.

Crown cycles down the road from me. Will always pop in by them first.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if it quite qualifies as southern suburbs but a big thumbs up to Caledonian Cycles in Muizenberg... especially for older bikes. Im more of a youtube & fix it myself but the amount of times Ive gone there for spares (which they always have) and seen them happily attending to bikes that have issues on a morning ride and happened to limp past. I also never feel bad about bringing my 15 year old cheapie there... I made the mistake of going into one of those "upper end" stores with my avalanche and I swear the staff looked at me as if I had just  threw up on their floor.

... the staff looked at me as if I had just threw up on their floor.

Throwing up on the floor would probably be frowned upon less than walking in there with an Avalanche. LOL

As for Caledonian, have heard good things but yes, they are in the deep deep south.

Edited by Thomo