Full face helmet

Natie S

Bwahahaha, no, it was my youngest's beau...after seeing him ride earlier with a half-lid enduro, I "suggested" he use my spare Bell....that very day.....for the sake of my youngest's peace of mind....TG otherwise he would have had supper through a straw....it definitely saved his face and head, no doubt about it...the roasty on his elbow was described by the doctor later as similar to a first degree burn...so maybe elbow pads will be also be on the shopping list as soon as the scab falls off!!!! :thumbup:

Ouch. Yes he is very lucky. I’m also shopping for elbow and knee pads. Had a very bad roasty in November on my knee and chin and im currently recovering from a fractured elbow.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a question about choosing the correct size if ordering online without having the chance to try a helmet out beforehand. Using a soft tape measure my noggin measures +-58 cm around. I wear a moisture wicking buff with a normal helmet, also to avoid funny tan lines since there isn't much hair on top. It seems like I fall in between medium and large in most cases - which one should I choose? e.g. the TLD medium should be ok?

I have a question about choosing the correct size if ordering online without having the chance to try a helmet out beforehand. Using a soft tape measure my noggin measures +-58 cm around. I wear a moisture wicking buff with a normal helmet, also to avoid funny tan lines since there isn't much hair on top. It seems like I fall in between medium and large in most cases - which one should I choose? e.g. the TLD medium should be ok?

TBH....I would only order a lid online after at least getting to fit someone else's on or trying on in store. It's a very personal fit thing in my experience and some size might fit you well but the shape can suck. For me that problem was with the Bell Super 2R. If that's not an option, then perhaps consider one you can get hold of to try...You're going to be wearing that thing on your pip for w long time, so it'd better be comfy.

Of the convertibles I think the Bell is the nicest looking, I dont mind the Leatt too.

But personally I think dedicated for purpose always wins, and may cost similar to get two dedicated helmets.

I like my TLD D3.

Thinking back to when I first started out years ago, buying a full face from the get go would've been cheaper than the stitches I needed for my chin. That Fox and TLD full face helmets in the links above look really good and comfy, maybe even for a scorching mid day ride in JHB summers

These new lighter weight Full-face lids are looking very nice. 

I picked up a Bell Super R2 in the classifieds in Dec after having a close call at Vuurberg. One of those, "If I went down there I would have been drinking through a straw" moments. 

Pity the colours are so loud, jeeez. The new lids are more subtle and nicely understated. If I don't wear black only with it the colors just get to much to quickly. The early Enduro days were Bright! :mellow:

I need to get use to the look though, Im now a part of that tribe :) 

Good morning everyone

Thanks for all the feedback, advice and experiences shared.

I picked up the uvex as in the photos this morning. Will post my experience with it when I’ve done a ride with it.

Archived