[Event] SRAM WC XCO Series / SA Cup Series Bloemendal Round 1

Events Bot

I’m super keen to do these races, but racing against guys doing it for a living seems like a waste of time, personally. I like to be competitive, but there’s just no chance against those guys. They should have a age group/ non pro/ full time working group for the under 30 guys and gals. Just my 2 cents. Maybe then more will compete?

Well dont race the "Pro's", race yourself ,set a goal of Top 10 or not to be lapped for starters.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done most of the XCO Races & Venues over the past 4-5 years. You are not going to get more technical than Bloemendal. Coetzenberg perhaps but last year the Wine Barrel was closed for the age categories which to me was the most difficult obstacle due to it being dry and a dust bowl. So bottom line if you can smoothly ride the past weekends course & have all the A-Lines dialed then you can literally just rock up on the day to race at any other venue.

Hmmmmm, you okes made the A-line look to easy. I'm pretty sure that if I was holding the bars I'd be like  :eek:  down most of it

I have done most of the XCO Races & Venues over the past 4-5 years. You are not going to get more technical than Bloemendal. Coetzenberg perhaps but last year the Wine Barrel was closed for the age categories which to me was the most difficult obstacle due to it being dry and a dust bowl. So bottom line if you can smoothly ride the past weekends course & have all the A-Lines dialed then you can literally just rock up on the day to race at any other venue.

Awesome. Thanks Milky.

Will then just continue to practice Bloemendal as much as possible and then wait for the next venue.

That would dilute the age group batches then. the events are run the UCI format so age group cats are important. But I guess a Fun category will bring in numbers and revenue..... 

In the UK there was a separate cat for the non racers. They guys raced 3 laps of the course if I remember correctly.

XCO turn outs were massive when I lived there, on and off from 2005 to 2012. 

It was sold as fun.

There was also an awesome XCO series in New Zealand when I lived there. Family races aligning with the SS xco champs. Double points for dressing up, triple points if you did the last lap in your undies.... Risk or beer short cuts....

I suppose it comes down to marketing and what is expected.

Worst case, when it's a stand-alone WP race, you can usually ride the course on the morning of the race before the sprogs and nippers kick off.

I'm not a fan of this option, reason being SV's will still kick off at 11:30, you then need to be there from 7-8 to practice the course if not earlier.

Awesome. Thanks Milky.

Will then just continue to practice Bloemendal as much as possible and then wait for the next venue.

yeah but dont only ride Bloemendal now, there are many other options on Tygerberg Trails that can be used as well. Like going fast down Hoogekraals downhill sections Cobra & Rock n Roll, Widow Maker, Welvergenoegd, Skills Park, There is Contermanskloof's black Line that I've taken my XCO bike down a couple of times. The options are endless.

Is there a reason the XCO race day is not on the sunday and practice on the Saturday?

Just an honest question.

Last year for the 1st time we had 2 races on Sundays. The reason for this I was told that some kids & parents played\supported school sports on Saturday mornings. But first & foremost the events & series are run by volunteers, if they say Saturday then Saturday it is. I'm guessing most people also attend church on Sundays or its considered a family day but I honestly dont know the real reasons.

Last year for the 1st time we had 2 races on Sundays. The reason for this I was told that some kids & parents played\supported school sports on Saturday mornings. But first & foremost the events & series are run by volunteers, if they say Saturday then Saturday it is. I'm guessing most people also attend church on Sundays or its considered a family day but I honestly dont know the real reasons.

Sunday races would attract a lot more people to the XCo events. There's only one per month for four months. God is good he/she will forgive, just make sure that the tithes are doubled the Sunday before the races and we good to go. Practice on Saturday, race on Sunday will make away races more palatable as well.

Sunday races would attract a lot more people to the XCo events. There's only one per month for four months. God is good he/she will forgive, just make sure that the tithes are doubled the Sunday before the races and we good to go. Practice on Saturday, race on Sunday will make away races more palatable as well.

Ok it's just been brought to my attention that the 2 Sundays Races did not go as well as you think it would be. Entries & supporters were down in numbers. Did I mention that the whole WP MTB XCO organizing committee are run by parents of the kids that are racing on a volunteering basis?

If they dont step up then there will be nothing, no races, no events, no SA Cup's, etc. So I'm just grateful for their sacrifices & that we have something to attend at the moment. If tomorrow they collectively decided that Sundays suits them better for whatever reason then so be it it's their time, but until then I accept & appreciate that it is Saturdays for now.

P.s. Sundays would suit me better as well but beggars cant be choosers.

Other factors to consider was the cost for the various venues, some charged more for a Sunday vs a Saturday.

Was my son's first race in the Elite field as he will be 19 in 2 months time. Halfway I did not bother to ask him how it was going, I just passed him the water or juice. At least he did not have a spill or technical. But now he knows how it is to race against the best in the world.

He just says he is going to hit the gym harder every day. He is still hungry and loves the XCO format.

Your son basically raced a world cup. Respect.

ps: Tell him to train smarter every day, not harder. 

Ok it's just been brought to my attention that the 2 Sundays Races did not go as well as you think it would be. Entries & supporters were down in numbers. Did I mention that the whole WP MTB XCO organizing committee are run by parents of the kids that are racing on a volunteering basis?

If they dont step up then there will be nothing, no races, no events, no SA Cup's, etc. So I'm just grateful for their sacrifices & that we have something to attend at the moment. If tomorrow they collectively decided that Sundays suits them better for whatever reason then so be it it's their time, but until then I accept & appreciate that it is Saturdays for now.

Other factors to consider was the cost for the various venues, some charged more for a Sunday vs a Saturday.

Thansk Milky.

Appreciate the feedback. 

And i totally agree with your sentiments, as long as the events keep happening, we attend and be grateful. :) 

well said !

• 2 weeks later...

I see round #2 of the WC XCO is confirmed @ Rhebokskloof on 16th March.

All XCO's events are tough, but ats the advert on TV :  Rhebokskloof, is tough-e-rer !.....those climbs all brutal (er) and if the son comes down low, the heat is a real factor......good spectators course and a lekke venue......bring on the pain and suffering, again !