High volume 29er tyres

Me rida my bicycle

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I try and only ride WTB, the rest are all just a let down (no pun)

Currently 2.25 trailboss on 30mm rims with pressure at 1.2bar up front and min 1.5 at the back (Currently running harder, almost 1.8, due to some real rocky terrain at Avianto, where I have felt some rim impacts on lower pressure) 

Will probably try and get my hands on some Wolverines as they offer the best balance of grip and rolling resistance.

Wolverines are at 2.3 (not much space in my frame for wider)

Bought my last set from CWC. 

Maybe get one of the online suppliers to order for you

Anyone know who stocks WTB, preferably local online?

Onza Ibex 2.4?

The Onza Ibex is high volume like the Ardent 2.4 but super aggressive. I rode this with the Ardent 2.4 at the back and it was a great combo. The Ardent up front is rubbish, DON'T EVER DO IT, unless you are not pushing into berms and riding fast. The DHF 2.5 Wide Trail is designed for your size rims and will also work wonders

The Onza Ibex is high volume like the Ardent 2.4 but super aggressive. I rode this with the Ardent 2.4 at the back and it was a great combo. The Ardent up front is rubbish, DON'T EVER DO IT, unless you are not pushing into berms and riding fast. The DHF 2.5 Wide Trail is designed for your size rims and will also work wonders

Thanks! Ja I am pushing much harder on the trails so more grip definitely needed soon.

The Rocket Ron's have not let me down yet but I feel I am at the front at least pushing their limits.

Looks like WTB is also worth a look judging here.

And that's why you should never be afraid to ask some of these tyre's have completely slipped my mind.

Thanks

Sorry to hijack this thread but i have had the same question! i dont have as wider wheels, i have stans arch wheels on an epic, and want to go as wider and high volume as possible. Currently running saguaros.

Thanks! Ja I am pushing much harder on the trails so more grip definitely needed soon.

The Rocket Ron's have not let me down yet but I feel I am at the front at least pushing their limits.

You want more grip. Don't think of the Minion / Mary / Eliminator / Trailboss etc as "downhill tyres" - tehy're simply tyres with more grip and better sidewall protection. 

My advice would be to go for one of the following:

Spez Eliminator 2.6 Grid casing 

Magic Mary Snakeskin 2.35

Minion DHR 2.4 WT Exo 

Minion DHF 2.5 WT Exo

WTB Trailboss 

WTB Vigilante

Spez will likely be the cheapest, and is a very good tyre. NONE of these tyres are "DH" tyres - they're all grippy tyres, far grippier than the RR that you've currently got, with a larger volume (all around the same measurement despite their different "width" ratings) and that's what you're looking for. They've all got reasonably tough sidewalls, but without having the full protection that a "DH" casing-shod tyre has. 

I currently run Hans Damph 2.5's and i weigh 120kg odd. They have decent grip and just touch the frame if I really push it in the corners.

Running wtb rim up front and a arch stans flow in the back.

I hope you still get them as I am up for new ones soon.

oh they have given great service, there are a few knobbies missing on the back tyre though, funny enough, more on the sides than on the main running surface. 

oh they have given great service, there are a few knobbies missing on the back tyre though, funny enough, more on the sides than on the main running surface. 

That's what HDs do. Shed edge lugs like a moulting pigeon.

OP, I've got a 29 x 3.0 Maxxis Chronicle in stock if you want to go all the way.

I'm running 29 x 2.35 Nobby Nics on Wide Lighting rims (29mm ID) front and back.

Previously I had a Rocket Ron 2.25 on the back, and it had a significantly lower volume.

You want more grip. Don't think of the Minion / Mary / Eliminator / Trailboss etc as "downhill tyres" - tehy're simply tyres with more grip and better sidewall protection. 

My advice would be to go for one of the following:

Spez Eliminator 2.6 Grid casing 

Magic Mary Snakeskin 2.35

Minion DHR 2.4 WT Exo 

Minion DHF 2.5 WT Exo

WTB Trailboss 

WTB Vigilante

Spez will likely be the cheapest, and is a very good tyre. NONE of these tyres are "DH" tyres - they're all grippy tyres, far grippier than the RR that you've currently got, with a larger volume (all around the same measurement despite their different "width" ratings) and that's what you're looking for. They've all got reasonably tough sidewalls, but without having the full protection that a "DH" casing-shod tyre has. 

Fixed to make the choice a bit easier to get the best possible...

TRAIL BEAST MODE ON! :devil:

Edited by s14phoenix

Sorry to hijack this thread but i have had the same question! i dont have as wider wheels, i have stans arch wheels on an epic, and want to go as wider and high volume as possible. Currently running saguaros.

The Barzo is a great tyre for general trail duty also and definitely much more grippy than Saguaros. Ran a Barzo on front and Saguaro on the back for XC and race duty for a while and the Barzo is DEFINATELY more grippy and larger than a Rocket Ron which I fitted after (weight was my only motivation)