High volume 29er tyres

Me rida my bicycle

Hi guys and girls

I need some help I am looking for a very high volume 29er front tyre.

I thought my quest was at an end when Goodyear came out with the 2.6. It was short lived as its no bigger than a 2.35.

SCHWALBE was also little disappointing their 2.35 Nobby Nic was only 2mm more than the 2.25 Rocket Ron I am currently running. These are both not the addix type don't know if that would make a difference.

See Hans Dampf has a new version which looks promising but also only 2.35.

I measure the tyres flat from bead to bead as I think this is the best way to give me an accurate idea of volume.

All I could find with good volume was Continental their 2.4 measured about 20mm more than the others.

I like Schwalbe and hope there's a high volume tyre maybe something I missed or what else should I be looking at.

My rims are 34mm wide so hi volume tyre's shouldn't be an issue.

Not wanting plus size just a little more tyre up front for confidence.

Please any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To give an idea the Rocket Ron 2.25 measured 150mm,Nobby Nic 2.35 152mm, Continental Trail King 2.4 170mm. These measurements are taken from bead to bead.

The green line on the picture shows how I measured the tyre's if that helps.

post-80000-0-07637000-1549480589_thumb.jpg

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

I don't know how much grip you are looking for up front - but I have a 2.4" Maxxis Ardent on my XC bike - it has considerable volume, moreso than my other Maxxis tyres. I don't have measurements for you though, what I can say is that it is quite "tall" from rim to tread, which if I am understanding correctly is what you want.

I am currently running bontrager xr2 team 29 x 2.35 on wide lightning front rim,, (29mm internal rim width)and its huge, seated and inflated its 62mm from side to side, def a true 2.35 and only 670g. The do come in 2.6 as well and weigh 750g. Check out bontrager site, more aggressive in 2.6 as well. Strong tyres, retail for R799 at local Trek agents

Edited by devilliers

Hi guys and girls

I need some help I am looking for a very high volume 29er front tyre.

I thought my quest was at an end when Goodyear came out with the 2.6. It was short lived as its no bigger than a 2.35.

SCHWALBE was also little disappointing their 2.35 Nobby Nic was only 2mm more than the 2.25 Rocket Ron I am currently running. These are both not the addix type don't know if that would make a difference.

See Hans Dampf has a new version which looks promising but also only 2.35.

I measure the tyres flat from bead to bead as I think this is the best way to give me an accurate idea of volume.

All I could find with good volume was Continental their 2.4 measured about 20mm more than the others.

I like Schwalbe and hope there's a high volume tyre maybe something I missed or what else should I be looking at.

My rims are 34mm wide so hi volume tyre's shouldn't be an issue.

Not wanting plus size just a little more tyre up front for confidence.

Please any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!

2.35 schwalbe tyres (nobby and more aggressive) are larger than Maxxis 2.5WT and Spaz 2.6. Minion 2.6 though is an actual 2.6 and is a proper tyre. Only available through import at the German sites (bike discount and bike components) but will give you what you're looking for.

Also. You're measuring your tyres incorrectly. Measuring like that doesn't allow for deformation while the tyres are folded like that. You're supposed to measure when it's inflated.

Easiest way to check ACTUAL measurements is to Google and search for images showing width measured by verniers when on the rim and inflated.

I don't know how much grip you are looking for up front - but I have a 2.4" Maxxis Ardent on my XC bike - it has considerable volume, moreso than my other Maxxis tyres. I don't have measurements for you though, what I can say is that it is quite "tall" from rim to tread, which if I am understanding correctly is what you want.

thanks will look at those. Grip of the Ardent should be fine. It's on a xc rig but I built it more for playing on the trails and handling my weight and lack of skill????????????

I am currently running bontrager xr2 team 29 x 2.35 on wide lightning front rim,, (29mm internal rim width)and its huge, seated and inflated its 62mm from side to side, def a true 2.35 and only 670g. The do come in 2.6 as well and weigh 750g. Check out bontrager site, more aggressive in 2.6 as well. Strong tyres, retail for R799 at local Trek agents

Thanks never even thought of Bontrager. Will check it out definitely!

2.35 schwalbe tyres (nobby and more aggressive) are larger than Maxxis 2.5WT and Spaz 2.6. Minion 2.6 though is an actual 2.6 and is a proper tyre. Only available through import at the German sites (bike discount and bike components) but will give you what you're looking for.

Thanks not specifically looking at 2.6 a true 2.35/2.4 some that could have the volume of the Continental but not be Continental I have had some issues with them in the past.

2.5 usually only downhill tyre's which is a little to aggressive than needed.

Dhf 2.6 import from hibike or bike-discount

Otherwise moer expensive Rekon 2.6 at CWC or contact Bike Addict to ask if they got stock

Thanks doesn't need to be 2.6 the goodyear was only a coincidence/example.

Also. You're measuring your tyres incorrectly. Measuring like that doesn't allow for deformation while the tyres are folded like that. You're supposed to measure when it's inflated.

Easiest way to check ACTUAL measurements is to Google and search for images showing width measured by verniers when on the rim and inflated.

Thank you very much. Will definitely look on the web as you suggested.

That's why I put a picture on of how I did it in the hope I was missing something.