Bridgestone Route 66 3-day Stage Race

ScaredShiftless

I can't believe this race doesn't have a page dedicated to it. It's Gauteng biggest stage race! Who's doing it? Who's done it before? What can newbies like me expect?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be there.

Have done it before. It's a tough race, the magaliesburg area lends itsself to very few flat roads, and either up or down the terrain is rocky, and loose after all the rains.

Depending on the route, one goes through quite a few of the reserves in the area. Last time I rode we had wind on day2 that had me at wits end.

All in, it's not a bad race, the thing is, that for a 3day race without accommodation or food, it's quite expensive. Thus the lack of popularity, in my opinion.

There is also the graspolle that the race is famous for ( freshly cut tracks) that wears one down.

I have never trained for this race, and always suffered through it. This year I have actually trained, and I should hopefully not feel like I'm dying a slow death. But I'm participating and definitely not racing.

We did it last year. Some observations:

Yip, freshly cut grass makes for difficult/unpleasant ride.

Entry fee for poorly prepared trails seems a bit steep when compared to say Trail & Trout where the trails are decently prepared. It is pretty much as if they go out the week before to prepare the trails, which is probably in fairness the case as many of them are not ridden from week to week.

On the final day the Bridgestone riders arrived late at the start and merely pushed their way in to the front in the start pen ahead of the people who actually showed up on time

Overall this seems like more of a Bridgestone company ra-ra than a bicycle race.

I wont be back.

yeah, it's looking dismal. But a wet muddy day on the bike, is better than a day at the office.

Those grass polle will give you lekker grip between the muddy bits  :devil:

My plan is doing the Ride4Sight instead this year, mmmm tar

Yip that race is definitely famous for gras bolle.

I made the mistake of wearing my baggies without padding on day 1 and 2 last year.

I won't repeat my mistake this year.

There is also the graspolle that the race is famous for ( freshly cut tracks) that wears one down.

This is all i remember ! 

My three events have all being tough , and while it is a good hard training ride ramping up for a stage race season , I don't think it has the fun element for the back markers or weekend warriors.

This is all i remember ! 

My three events have all being tough , and while it is a good hard training ride ramping up for a stage race season , I don't think it has the fun element for the back markers or weekend warriors.

I know of a couple of peeps using this as a training ride for the bigger events...some even threw in race to the sun between day 1 and day 3.

Me, I have been ramping up my fitness up to this event, but am nowhere near being able to more than ride this event. 

As you say, no fun factor cruising along endless km of dirt roads, and bombing down manicured singletrack on the side of a mountain.

Does anyone know what the trails are like for Day 2 and 3? Riding the weekend experience and not too sure what to expect.

Soggy here in Magalies....but if memory serves me right they only really make use of dirt roads passing through here more than Single track...

Does anyone know what the trails are like for Day 2 and 3? Riding the weekend experience and not too sure what to expect.

Day2 is maropeng to maropeng, there are some singletrack sections (footpaths) as well as what looks like the Mount grace trails (short steep ups and switchbacks) should be quite rocky, it does drain fairly well in the area, so it should be ok.

Day 3 more of the same, however making our way back to Kloofzicht should once again be a combination of dirt roads and footpaths. 

The race does go through 2 reserves, where it's mostly jeep track. it's quite rocky in sections, and probably more so, after the rain. Pack your climbing pants.