To Flat or not to Flat

Jako De Wet

lekker. Was thinking of going the 2F0 route and also ride 3 times a week. Might keep the XC shoes for longer events and ride the flats every other time.

Lets go break some shins!

Got my 2FO shoes last month, so have only done a few rides.

But MAN, the grip and confidence these give are fantastic !!

... too early to comment of wear ...

I use FiveTens with nukeproof pedals. The level of grip is something you need to experience to believe. I know that sounds like salesman talk, but there really isn't any other way I can say it. Other (flat specific) brands may be even better, I wouldn't know.....

I rode with tekkies for a couple of years.

Some grip slightly better than others ...

Mostly the harder the sole, the less it grips on the pedals .... but you get used to it, and ride accordingly.

And then I bought the 2FO shoes.  WOW !!!  Words simply can not describe the improvement !!!!

I obviously have no experience to compare the 2FO to the FiveTen shoes, but believe them to be similar.

Where is the best place to buy 5.10's?

You're basically screwed. Nobody keeps stock in store. Online only or special order from GetStoked if you want to try on sizes. 

I went from the older 2FO's and tried on the new 2FO's and then the Ion Raid Amp's. New 2FO's are much improved and less klunky than the old ones. The Ion's are similar and breathe great and dry off after getting wet nicely. So far loving them and the dudes who bring em in are really great at customer service and answering questions etc. AFIK if you are a Tygerberm member you get a 10 or 15% discount on Ion stuff too. So check them out. They also have very nicer inner ankle protection. But 5.10...na, have had too many mates in the climbing side of their approach shoes having the soles delaminate too. And having to have sizes ordered just so I can try them on...not fun IMO. Spez and Ion are in store and right there.

Be careful using 5.10's as casual shoes.

If you have a light colored tile floor and a significant other who is OCD about her floors don't walk with the 5.10's in the house.

I cant really give feedback here cos I ride in skate shoes, frowned upon by the flats gods I know, but I'm a cheapie.

This ^^^

5 10's are toooo stiff for my liking and skate shoes tend to have the correct pliability.

Jaco Specialized got a new container with 2FO's in a few weeks back, just in case you want to try it on ....  Your nearest store can either help you with a fitment, OR check on their system who has stock of your size ...

When I went for a fitment they did not have size 48 in stock ... not in 2FO ... they went of their way to get me other shoes in their range to try on, purely to check size and fit.  And then it was the long wait for the next container ....  Obviously much better stock levels in the smaller sizes.

Archived