Still new to biking...yes this is a rant

Wheelie87

So I'm still fairly new to biking and the journey never ceases to amaze me..good or bad. It truly is a love-hate relationship.

I recently had to buy a new MTB tyre and after extensive research online (yes I am a desk jockey if not in the saddle) I decided on the perfect tyre (for me) to run up front.

Still early in my career, recently married, MTB'ing is a luxury and to be quite honest hella expensive; so forking out close to R1K for a single MTB tyre doesn't necessarily always sit well with the Mrs. 

Be that as it may..I phone the LBS and confirm that they have the desired product in stock..super excited I leave early from work and rush over there. On arrival I can't seem to find it on the shelf, I ask for assistance as they confirmed to have three in stock that AM. They bring the tyre but it is in a different tyre's box..immediately I wonder, but why..the sales rep says he's not sure but what does it matter. He takes the tyre out and it seems to be new, albeit not as sparkly clean as the other tyres in their original packaging on the shelf. At R880 a tyre I kinda want it in the original packaging. I'm hesitant. I ask how they compare to a similar tyre on display. " I don't know..I don't know anything about these Enduro tyres" and walks off. I apparently know their products better than they do - thank you Google.

Having no front tyre and the weather begging to go ride I decide to take it.

At the checkout another bright young employee assists me as employee numero uno is now very busy. I again inquire about the packaging as I want to compare the info on the box with another tyre (the one mentioned above). He brings the box of the tyre I want, but in a different size and says I can Google if I need more info and walks off.

Moments later he comes back and says the tyre I want comes off a brand new bike and hasn't been used and they do not have the original packaging as this is apparently a rare tyre. The other buyer didn't want the bike with those tyres so they are now selling them as brand new although they have been fitted and most probably been rode on in and around the shop as almost any person would before buying a new bike. I thus ask..Oh so they are demo tyres "Nee Mnr, hulle is so nuut soos kan kom" - i.e. Full Price. I just shut up and pay and walk out. Again, I was robbed of my joy after going in to a LBS.

This is just one of MANY (many, yes many) such experiences at all the LBS's in my town over the last three years of my short cycling career. (Chipping the paint and denying it was them, forgetting to lube the bike, fitting the products incorrectly, always taking longer than stated, having to return multiple times as what they claim to have done and fixed was not done and fixed, charging incorrectly, the list goes on..they rarely apologise or admit being wrong)  In my experience they work 60% of the time all the time. The rest I'm utterly shocked at the absolute sh#% service and attitude I get. It feels like I'm taking crazy pills. I kinda expect this type of service when buying a Streetwise Two, but not when spending my hard earned Randelas at these elite iStore replicas. 

I assume if you do not rock up in a pilot's outfit like Malusi Gigaba this is the service you need to get use to.

Maybe I'm just ridiculous and cynical expecting too much...you can't expect the same delightful service you get at a farmer's market buying a few carrots and onions at every establishment you enter.

To be honest this is just a rant about the service delivery in general I have been experiencing the last few years with almost everything. This last experience (admittedly not that bad compared to others and definitely not my worst experience) just prompted me to write about it..for what it's worth.

"No, no. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing."

Raoul Duke - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the wonderful world of dealing with bike shops....personally unless it's very very urgent I don't bother with bike shops..buy online and do you own work...cheaper..easier and far more fun...

Finding the right LBS with the right people that run it is a mission, but worthwhile when you find a decent one.

Small piece of advice when it comes to tyres: Never buy one that "came off a new bike". Sometimes the OEM ones that come with new bikes are absolute garbage. Either a super light duty version, or a cheaper compound.

Sounds about right 

Best is to learn to service and fix your own bike.

Compare pricew locally and abroad for parts, especially tyres as you will often find them at half the price. Do not forget to factor in shipping and customs costs.

Hey Wheelie87 sorry you got such bad service dude. 

Not every LBS is like that I can promise you that. It may take some time but you'll find one you happy to spend your money at. 

FYI, you say you're recently married and the missus doesn't like you spending money on biking stuff... Understandable... My missus thinks most things on my bike cost R400 and she's still confused because "my friend" said I could use his Mavic's but he's still not asked for it back.....

Sounds about right 

Best is to learn to service and fix your own bike.

Compare pricew locally and abroad for parts, especially tyres as you will often find them at half the price. Do not forget to factor in shipping and customs costs.

Cleaning lubing and setting brakes is as far as it goes.... I know my limitations I can't set gears for ****! 

And as I say this, once I click post I WILL go onto Youtube to find a tutorial.....

And yet when you find that one shop where you are happy, and forge a relationship with said shop, then it is like finding a jewel and looking after it.

I don't know where you live, you're profile says Stellies/Paarl, but I found this in William's Bike shop in Somerset West. Not necessarily cheaper, but I trust Daryn that works there to the point where I do think question his suggestions anymore.

Rid yourself of the frustration and find a new LBS, or as others have said, buy online. Yes often times the wait is the worst part but in the end you have done your own research and can make your own mind up before clicking checkout. 

Cleaning lubing and setting brakes is as far as it goes.... I know my limitations I can't set gears for ****! 

And as I say this, once I click post I WILL go onto Youtube to find a tutorial.....

I stop at fork and shock services.

Learn to service / maintain your own bike and buy the parts you need online.

There is almost no need to ever go to your LBS. After all the bad experiences I have had with bike shops, my bikes don't go near them and I have been much happier ever since.

And yet when you find that one shop where you are happy, and forge a relationship with said shop, then it is like finding a jewel and looking after it.

I don't know where you live, you're profile says Stellies/Paarl, but I found this in William's Bike shop in Somerset West. Not necessarily cheaper, but I trust Daryn that works there to the point where I do think question his suggestions anymore.

This is true, I've said this before but I use a family owned shop in the Southern Suburbs aswell as a shop in Woodstock. Both stores greet with a smile, ask how it's going (know that I'm not training hard enough) and ask when my next event is.... 

Don't give up Wheelie87 !!!!!!!!!! 

I think that making you pay the "new" price for a demo item is a bit skelm.

I'm sure Wheelie87 knew this but he said he was itching for a ride... 

Archived