[Event] Thys Du Toit Memorial Hopefield MTB

Shaun Peters

Trivial economics. Did you have fun (barring the stretch past the steaming pile of manure)?

Fun well ya no well...

The route was well marked. Registration was painless. The parking ran smoothly till they had an overflow then the wheels came off a bit before they got it together again. R20 for parking was ok. Its a smalll town and the funds go to a good cause.

The first, could be 10km was a XCO through a quarry? Hells bells that was hard. By the time we hit the sand road my legs had already lost their voice. That sounds boring but just maintaining control with 8 other riders around you made it very hard mentally and physically. Lots of short steep climbs.

Then single track through the wheat(?) fields....%#*^ me but what the hell. It seems the course designer was school by Dr.Evil. SADIST!!

The last 5km singletrack was fun but my legs were finsihed by then. I had 90km in the legs and thankfully it was only 90.7 with a 2km neutral zone.....

Would I do it again if it wasn't WPMTB XCM champs? or part of the WPMTB XCM series?

Probably not. Its not my kind of MTB race.

But for the majority out there it looked like it as just challenging enough for them to have fun.

If you love Karoo to Coast then this ones for you!

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R20 to park near start on field.

Free under the trees, and in the road. 

... and it is a fundraiser, after all.  :w00t:

Not a big deal, but keep in mind that there were 6 other cycling events around Cape Town that they were "competing against" for cyclist's hard earned money (not even mentioning the numerous events the weekend before & this coming weekend) and I'm willing to take a bet not one of them charge for parking. Then it becomes very important to get the little things right.

Really enjoyed the quarry - maybe because I had people looking on as I rode down and up sections everyone else were pushing their bikes. Gotta love flat pedals. 

The middle section of mile filler was as expected and that wheat field was pretty scenic. I did leave a bit of legs left for the last river section. This is a unique challenge. 

Maybe next year let people riding the event park for free and the rest can pay? 

About the other events, I wish there would be more discussion among organisers of events. This weekend it is Fedhealth but Wolseley (previously at the end of June) moved their date and now the two clash.

Guess we really are spoilt for choice  :thumbup:

About the other events, I wish there would be more discussion among organisers of events. This weekend it is Fedhealth but Wolseley (previously at the end of June) moved their date and now the two clash.

Guess we really are spoilt for choice  :thumbup:

Not sure it was the right move from the Wolseley organisers, Fedhealth is a massive event and their previous timeslot had no competition (with the downside that they are at the mercy of winter weather)

What still annoys me since I have started cycling is how organisers squeeze all the events into end August / early Sept overloading those weekends with races but then on Karoo2Coast long weekend - nothing.... Surely there are enough cyclists opting out of the expensive trip to Uniondale to justify a funride near Cape Town over the long weekend?

That is one more reason I'm only doing 10 K2Cs (last one next year). I love it but there are lucrative alternatives closer to home.

That is one more reason I'm only doing 10 K2Cs (last one next year). I love it but there are lucrative alternatives closer to home.

I doubt I'll do another K2C. It just doesn't have any appeal for me any longer. The distance is no longer a challenge, its not technical,  and the logistics are a pain

I doubt I'll do another K2C. It just doesn't have any appeal for me any longer. The distance is no longer a challenge, its not technical,  and the logistics are a pain

I'm genuinely perplexed why that race is so massively popular, in my biased opinion very overrated.