Bike jacking at bottelary hills

A.K.A

I received a message from a friend last night regarding a message he received of another whatsapp group.

The message stated his friend was bike jacked at the end of the green loop last night by 3youngsters 2 on bmx bikes while riding the trail, if anybody has info regarding this matter please share as this is my go to trail..... The guy jacked name is Helmut

Any more info on this incident? I cycle these routes, especially the green loop, almost daily

Does the "end of the green loop" refer to the Hazendal entry? 

Also from one of my WhatsApp groups

Hi guys - we drove to the site where it happened. If u come out of mongoose, and down the hill just as u come through the reeds (on the left) is where the guy jumped out. They shot across the road and up towards the White House (hazendal owner) and then down his new tar road towards bottelray. We saw the tyre tracks in the sand until the tar road. I’m sure they went to those houses on the road or across to bottelray. His one shoe was still klipped in. When we stopped at the White House 2 security guards came out (with serious guns) and confirmed they saw 2 coloured guys on bmx and 1 after them on a mountain bike. They have video footage but said we must go get it at hazendal. Christel pls can you arrange that? Maybe see where they stopped? We were accompanied with SJC security guard. So helmet is home but bike is gone. No weapons or things were used during the attack. He just fell off his bike trying to avoid the one. The other 2 stayed on their bmx’s.. he recons between the ages of 12-13. Maybe we can ask geonvlei to do an inspection on their houses? Pls keep us posted. Have a good evening

Please any posts will be appreciated as this is my route as well wouldn't want to stop due to unfortunate events. Also biker got jacked just outside Kayamandi today as well.

• 4 weeks later...

heard there was another bike jacking attempt on Saturday on the yellow loop by the dam. there seems to be weekly incidents on Bottelary trails. Very sad as this is my home trails. I never cycled the trails since Helmut's bike-jacking incident.

Right, so what are we going to do / what can we do.

I refuse to become a victim, but I also know sitting around is not going to contribute to a solution. Let's sort this out before it becomes a proper cluster.

heard there was another bike jacking attempt on Saturday on the yellow loop by the dam. there seems to be weekly incidents on Bottelary trails. Very sad as this is my home trails. I never cycled the trails since Helmut's bike-jacking incident.

Any more info on this? Was considering getting an annual permit there, not too sure anymore. 

I'm also in to whatever suggestions. This is BS.

I refuse to become a victim, but I also know sitting around is not going to contribute to a solution. Let's sort this out before it becomes a proper cluster.

This requires an collaborated effort by cyclists, The Bottelary Hills Conservancy and landowners.

Something like this - 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/articles/routes-trails/tokai-trails-one-year-crime-free-r7797

It works but you need at least a little money and a couple of people prepared to give up a fair amount of time.

Are you perhaps referring to this FB Post or did it actually happen after this warning went out.

post-3951-0-82734600-1554722276_thumb.jpg

Are you perhaps referring to this FB Post or did it actually happen after this warning went out.

attachicon.gifBCT.JPG

sadly happened a couple of hours after warning post went out.

suggest something pls

Don't let this die. Suggest something.

I know a few marshalls at bottelary that really try to assist. The moment there is something happening or dodgy characters around they notify the landowners. Who then semt out a team to investigate. Maybe not always quick enough but al least they do something to help. Communicating any possible situation as quickly as possible to the relevant parties is very important. Maybe they can set up a single point of contact?