One trail bike to rule them all

ABrooks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not think twice in going for the Stumpy. I have a Camber which was 2x11 new, but I just changed over to NX Eagle. This bike is the business for me now, as it has 120mm all round, but is slack enough to be super fun on trails, and also not too slack, so a day in the saddle is a breeze for the longer stuff. I just did CTCT on that bike.

The roval 29mm rims, and the Purgatory and Ground Control 2.35 tyres makes the bike handle exceptionally well, and I can push it in the gnarly stuff with confidence and ease.

Since Cambers are scarce, Stumpy is a logical step-up from Camber.

I would not think twice in going for the Stumpy. I have a Camber which was 2x11 new, but I just changed over to NX Eagle. This bike is the business for me now, as it has 120mm all round, but is slack enough to be super fun on trails, and also not too slack, so a day in the saddle is a breeze for the longer stuff. I just did CTCT on that bike.

The roval 29mm rims, and the Purgatory and Ground Control 2.35 tyres makes the bike handle exceptionally well, and I can push it in the gnarly stuff with confidence and ease.

Since Cambers are scarce, Stumpy is a logical step-up from Camber.

When that purgatory pops, replace it with the eliminator. Thank me later.

Maybe the cheapest Alu one.  The price point for cheaper full sus alu Giant's has always been around just under R30k

Okay I have another suggestion, if you're a medium. There's a banshee spitfire frame and fork that Thermophage is selling which would be VERY high on my list. Fun, playful and will leave you plenty for wheels and gruppo.

Okay I have another suggestion, if you're a medium. There's a banshee spitfire frame and fork that Thermophage is selling which would be VERY high on my list. Fun, playful and will leave you plenty for wheels and gruppo.

I saw the bansee for sale, looks super nice.

I saw the bansee for sale, looks super nice.

It really, really is. I've ridden it before at Paarl and it's a bloody nice bike. Poppy, responsive, playful, and VERY forgiving. He's done Sani on it before, as well as Ezel and Lesotho Mega Enduro & Kingdom Enduro, and is only selling 'cos he's got a tranny on the side. 

I had a couple of comments on this thread, can't find them now. Deleted and if so why?

I am not a Specialized fan boy at all butif there's a bike that Specialized has to get right everytime they revise it, then its the Stumpjumper. that thing just rocks and rolls. Its in my top three trail bike of all time everytime. Doesn't matter what year model you get, its going to be great

The tribe has spoken and I went with the Stumpy. At the end, it was the one that made me the most excited when looking at it.

I went for a quick spin today just to get a feel for it, it is so eager to turn into corners and the short rear-stays make it feel very snappy.

post-84485-0-30608300-1553797347_thumb.jpeg

Compulsory couch photo (BTW where did the couch photo thing start?) was trying to upload earlier but ran into some internet issues. 

I had a couple of comments on this thread, can't find them now. Deleted and if so why?

I wonder why they got deleted?

The tribe has spoken and I went with the Stumpy. At the end, it was the one that made me the most excited when looking at it.

I went for a quick spin today just to get a feel for it, it is so eager to turn into corners and the short rear-stays make it feel very snappy.

Stumpy.jpeg

Compulsory couch photo (BTW where did the couch photo thing start?) was trying to upload earlier but ran into some internet issues.

Lekker, congrats! That is a seriously fun bike - have very fond memmories of mine. Enjoy it!

Congrats! Stumpy's will always have a soft spot. Enjoy the trails!

I might just be used to the look of the 35mm stem on my bike, but that stem looks a lot longer than the regular 50/60mm on these types of bikes?

Could just be the angle of the photo I guess.

Lekker, congrats! That is a seriously fun bike - have very fond memmories of mine. Enjoy it!

Thanks man. Will report back after the first big day out.

Archived