Sram Eagle NX rant & rave

Red Bird

I asked similar questions on another forum last year. Same issues with sram. I wonder when sram or if they will release eome info.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmmm keeping a close eye on developments here. Haven't seen this issue amongst anyone I've set up down here nor anyone from my lbs. I'm wondering if the top pulley has been adjusted to be too close to the 50 sprocket?

Hmmmmm keeping a close eye on developments here. Haven't seen this issue amongst anyone I've set up down here nor anyone from my lbs. I'm wondering if the top pulley has been adjusted to be too close to the 50 sprocket?

You mean it effectively made contact? The chain did seem a little short after the recent installation of a smaller chainring. Or could it have been the limit screw?

You mean it effectively made contact? The chain did seem a little short after the recent installation of a smaller chainring. Or could it have been the limit screw?

Either could be contributing. The failure you experienced isn't normal.

And SRAM do stress quite a lot that you must use that 'red template' goodie to make sure it is correct. One would think that if you make any change that effectively changes the chain 'length' (new chain, bigger or smaller chainblade or cassette)

Just thinking ....

Light, durable, affordable, Keith Bontrager's famous triage...….

I wonder if the length of the derailleur doesn't create a nice long  lever and the bolt is designed to fail before the frame gets damaged....

ps. I am not an engineer..

Light, durable, affordable, Keith Bontrager's famous triage...….

I wonder if the length of the derailleur doesn't create a nice long  lever and the bolt is designed to fail before the frame gets damaged....

ps. I am not an engineer..

Interesting thought but I'm doubting it's a design fault as the same geometry works with the other dérailleurs in the range. Could be a bad batch of bolts but I'm leaning toward a set up issue.

Maybe more pics of the derailleur please?

Interesting thought but I'm doubting it's a design fault as the same geometry works with the other dérailleurs in the range. Could be a bad batch of bolts but I'm leaning toward a set up issue.

It is “klaar”. Will have to replace entire cage set. Are the XO1 or even XX1 pulley sets compatible?

post-39356-0-15496300-1554711415_thumb.jpeg

It is “klaar”. Will have to replace entire cage set. Are the XO1 or even XX1 pulley sets compatible?

Yes they are and you can find the whole range at EVO bikes.

FYI Jockey = whole derailleur. What you lost in the veld is the pulley .

So when you looking for a new one search for pulley.

Did you perhaps take them off to clean them and reinstalled?

Here is my idea on what happened. Since a friend of mine did it also

Friend took Pulley of to clean etc and installed it.

Came to me and said gearing "NOT lekka"

So we set the High and low limit and as they were off and installed cable and set index = all good.

Start riding and on the first climb we hear tik tik tik tik....sounded like spoke touching the RD>

Unloaded it looks ok, but then I noticed that there is a little gap and the RD inside cage it not flush with pulley.

SRAM 12 speed pulleys uses 3 washers /spacers that has one size hole and ONE that is slightly larger. that one goes on the top inside. If you don't do that the bolt does not thread in all the way. So my theory is that people take it apart to clean and assemble it wrong. So either the RD get eaten buy Spokes or the bolt breaks like what happened here

This caused the need to set the low high limit. 

Put the washers in correct place and reset limit. ALL GOOD.

Bike was fully serviced last week. I thought maybe they did not tighten enough, but the screw is completely broken so that disproves the theory.

Bike was fully serviced last week. I thought maybe they did not tighten enough, but the screw is completely broken so that disproves the theory.

Read my other reply.....

Very good change they assembled it wrong.

Read my other reply.....

Very good change they assembled it wrong.

I will find out from them. Thanks

I will find out from them. Thanks

Dont think they will admit. but check if the washers you have left are exactly the same or if one has a bigger hole in it. If it does then it is in the wrong place.

Ok semantics, I know but the "jockey" is actually only the spring loaded  with the jockey wheels. It consists of a Jockey guide pulley and a jockey tension pulley.

The derailleur is the whole assembly. 

A jockey pulley assembly is used in many industrial machine application where drive chain or belt slack has to be damped or a variable pulley ratio is employed that results in drive mechanism slack.

the jockey Pulley cage for the XX1 derailleur is compatible with the GX and NX deraiileurs as far as I know. I've never needed to strip one off yet as its pretty new to the market and I haven;t seen this issue yet.

Archived