Budget MTB 29 Rims

love2fly

On my 29'er MTB I currently ride a Novatec Dragon wheels and matching hubs.

My issue is quite a bit of tyre squirm at the required lowish pressures (before anyone asks ) - 1.2 front and 1.7 rear.

I weigh 109kg and ride a Crossmark rear and Ardent front, both 2,25.

I'm considering changing the hoops only (also spokes of course as the ERD is different by about 5mm) as I really like the hubs and am considering the Rapidé TR29-25 SL 29er Rim 32h hoops at a price of R779-00.

My rims are 18mm internal and 22,5 external while the Rapides are 25mm and 30mm respectively.

I am on a very tight budget but would rather stay with what I have if the Rapides aren't up for it, unless someone can suggest something similar and close in price to their R779 price?

Also, any anticipated problems? (Both are 32H).

Cheers

The Rapid rims are Great.... but, 

You are looking at

Rim R779

Spokes 32*10 = R320 

Nipples R100

Wheel Build R150

R1350 * 2  = R2700

I think your tyre pressures very low for 109Kg

I have a Rapide TR29-25 SL on a Deore hub with Maxxis Crossmark 29x2.1 and it squishes round corners at pressures under 2.2bar. I weight 103Kg.

I don't think moving to a 25mm internal will solve your problem.

The Rapid rims are Great.... but, 

You are looking at

Rim R779

Spokes 32*10 = R320 

Nipples R100

Wheel Build R150

R1350 * 2  = R2700

I think your tyre pressures very low for 109Kg

I have a Rapide TR29-25 SL on a Deore hub with Maxxis Crossmark 29x2.1 and it squishes round corners at pressures under 2.2bar. I weight 103Kg.

I don't think moving to a 25mm internal will solve your problem.

I have tried my brother's Trek Top Fuel, admittedly carbon wheels but at much lower pressures, like 1 bar in front... and the tyre feels "harder"....and that has significantly wider internal...which also apparently allows softer pressures due to more air volume...

IMHO 2,2 is waaaaay to hard...if I hit soft sand like at Namaqua I will stop DEAD. Same with mud.....Again, IMHO 2,2 is ok for firm surface and yes, at higher pressures I get noticeably less rolling resistance but also over loose surfaces ithe front loses grip in corners resulting in "heart-in-mouth" moments...

Edited by love2fly

Lyne Amp 30 absolutely bullet proof! I am only little lighter than you and ride 1.2-1.5 bar pressure. On a HT and have had zero issues with these wheels.

I will check those out, thank you!

I believe you'll have a great experience with the Rapide rims. I build loads of them and have had really good feedback from my light and heavy customers.

If you use 142x12 rear with a xD driver you're welcome to borrow my loaner back wheel for a test ride.

1.2 and 1.7 bar on a 18mm internal rim is incredibly low for your weight.

Actually, that pressures on anything under 35mm is probably a bit low for your weight, unless you avoid big rocks, rock gardens etc!

Maybe you need to tell us what bike you ride and which surfaces? Sounds like a lot of sandy patches? Riding in sandy areas requires a slightly different technique to avoid ditching.

I would also say your pressures are too low but it would definitely depend on what surfaces you ride on to make any suggestions. It doesn't have to be 2 bar.

If you are happy with your current rims just play with pressures a bit and see what you feel more comfortable with.

Edit for spelling

Edited by mrcg

1.2 and 1.7 bar on a 18mm internal rim is incredibly low for your weight.

Actually, that pressures on anything under 35mm is probably a bit low for your weight, unless you avoid big rocks, rock gardens etc!

I believe you'll have a great experience with the Rapide rims. I build loads of them and have had really good feedback from my light and heavy customers.

If you use 142x12 rear with a xD driver you're welcome to borrow my loaner back wheel for a test ride.

Wow thanks that is a great offer.

I am in the process of getting some Quaxar rims at a steal. They may not be the lightest but have heard excellent reports. They ar 30mm and 35mm as far as I remember.

Thanks again!

Maybe you need to tell us what bike you ride and which surfaces? Sounds like a lot of sandy patches? Riding in sandy areas requires a slightly different technique to avoid ditching.

I would also say your pressures are too low but it would definitely depend on what surfaces you ride on to make any suggestions. It doesn't have to be 2 bar.

If you are happy with your current rims just play with pressures a bit and see what you feel more comfortable with.

Edit for spelling

I mostly ride single track in the Cradle which is pretty firm and some gravel and a section that is quite rocky but I take it easy. I also find that at 1.6 and 2 bar the stony sections and bumps jar far more. But there is then much less rolling resistance.

At something like those pressures the descent after the moerse climb at last year's Barberton Challenge was a nightmare...sand road with.loose gravel on a firm surface in a straight the bike was drifting.

At 1.2 and 1.6 it handles much better.

Oh, also, if you alternatly push down on one bar end and up on the other, ie trying to twist the stem, there is huge flex, and I finally narrowed that down to sidewall flex.

On the road/trail, it you alternately press down on each bar end there is a bit of a direction change feeling like there is a hinge mid way down the frame. And NO, it is not the suspension, I have battled and scratched head for over a year....

• 1 month later...

OK a report back.

I went for the Alex Volar 25's which I got via a great deal from Linden Cycles.

They are 25mm internal and 30,2 external v.s. my old ones at 18mm and 22,5mm so a BIG difference.

I ride a Crossmark rear and Ardent front, both 2,25.

Previously the ideal pressures were 1,2 front and 1,7 rear for normal trail riding and some stones etc. I would go a bit softer for lots of thick sand, maybe 1,1 and 1,5.

On the new setup it tried 1,2 and 1,5 and it was way too hard.

Went to 1,1 and 1,3 and got close. I reckon 1 and 1,3 will be about right.

It just shows what a huge difference rim width makes.

Handling is quite a bit better and the tyres feel more under me, especially at high loading through corners and going through a dip etc. I notice it feels like I am a bit "higher" and this is a higher tyre profile as the sidewall is not curving inwards under weight.

No tyre squirm at all and only at a weight gain of about 55g per rim.

The big win was that Neville at Linden could reuse my good existing spokes so all in cost was much lower.

OK a report back.

They are 25mm internal and 30,2 external v.s. my old ones at 18mm and 22,5mm so a BIG difference.

I ride a Crossmark rear and Ardent front, both 2,25.[/size]

Previously the ideal pressures were 1,2 front and 1,7 rear for normal trail riding and some stones etc. I would go a bit softer for lots of thick sand, maybe 1,1 and 1,5.[/size]

On the new setup it tried 1,2 and 1,5 and it was way too hard.[/size]

Went to 1,1 and 1,3 and got close. I reckon 1 and 1,3 will be about right.[/size]

It just shows what a huge difference rim width makes.[/size]

Handling is quite a bit better and the tyres feel more under me, especially at high loading through corners and going through a dip etc. I notice it feels like I am a bit "higher" and this is a higher tyre profile as the sidewall is not curving inwards under weight.[/size]

No tyre squirm at all and only at a weight gain of about 55g per rim.[/size]

The big win was that Neville at Linden could reuse my good existing spokes so all in cost was much lower.[/size]

Check your tyre pressure gauge as well. A mate of mine swore that he was running 1 and 1.2 bar. He was 98kg at the time. Only to find out his pressure gauge was way wrong. It was an expensive digital gauge according to him. After checking readings with my gauge it showed 1.4 and 1.6 bar. He went to the bike shop and it showed the same reading as mine.

Same guage I have been using for the last year (Topeak digital), and variance same to floor pump as it has ever been. Also use my brothers equipment from time to time and they are very close.The most important thing is to have the same pump and guage....

Check your tyre pressure gauge as well. A mate of mine swore that he was running 1 and 1.2 bar. He was 98kg at the time. Only to find out his pressure gauge was way wrong. It was an expensive digital gauge according to him. After checking readings with my gauge it showed 1.4 and 1.6 bar. He went to the bike shop and it showed the same reading as mine.

Edited by love2fly

OK a report back.

I ride a Crossmark rear and Ardent front, both 2,25.

Previously the ideal pressures were 1,2 front and 1,7 rear for normal trail riding and some stones etc. I would go a bit softer for lots of thick sand, maybe 1,1 and 1,5.

On the new setup it tried 1,2 and 1,5 and it was way too hard.

Went to 1,1 and 1,3 and got close. I reckon 1 and 1,3 will be about right.

It just shows what a huge difference rim width makes.

Handling is quite a bit better and the tyres feel more under me, especially at high loading through corners and going through a dip etc. I notice it feels like I am a bit "higher" and this is a higher tyre profile as the sidewall is not curving inwards under weight.

No tyre squirm at all and only at a weight gain of about 55g per rim.

The big win was that Neville at Linden could reuse my good existing spokes so all in cost was much lower.

I weigh a 100 kg .Front 1,6 bar and rear 1,8 bar  is the lowest i will go .Because of a puncture i rode the first part of magalies monster with a front tyre at 1 bar .Going up was all ok .Going down was dangerously uncontrollable .Even with a wider rim you will get a rim strike at 1 bar .IMO Stans MK3 Arch is is the best Alu rim out there 

Edited by arendoog