Cable disc brakes

Longbarn Killer

I bought my daughter a Totem bike, which suits her perfectly in every way except the cable discs that it comes with.

They are rubbish and have virtually zero stopping power (they are really bad). 

What could I do to improve this?

1. Replace the pads?
  2. Replace the rotors?
  3. Replace the cables? You can almost feel the cables stretch when you pull the brakes.
  4. Replace all three?

I have fiddled with every adjustment that I can, with minimal difference.

I also though of getting her a set of hydraulic discs. But then i would have to replace the shifters too (they are integrated with the brakes). They are 7 speed. I've never seen 7speed shifters, so I might have to go 8 speed, meaning another cassette and derailleur. 

She probably rides her bike once a month, so I don't want to spend huge amounts of money, but then again, safety is of utmost importance. 

I bought my daughter a Totem bike, which suits her perfectly in every way except the cable discs that it comes with.

1. Replace the pads?
  2. Replace the rotors?
  3. Replace the cables? You can almost feel the cables stretch when you pull the brakes.
  4. Replace all three?

I also though of getting her a set of hydraulic discs. But then i would have to replace the shifters too (they are integrated with the brakes). They are 7 speed. I've never seen 7speed shifters, so I might have to go 8 speed, meaning another cassette and derailleur. 

She probably rides her bike once a month, so I don't want to spend huge amounts of money, but then again, safety is of utmost importance. 

Define 'huge amounts of money'?

I bought a set of cable actuated hydro calipers for R1850 zar off E-bay for my Gravel Bike. They are fantastic. Super easy to set up and stopping power + modulation is fantastic.

I have got compressionless housing but I think they will work brilliantly anyway.

1. Replace the pads?
  2. Replace the rotors?
  4. Replace all three?

Replacing rotors will probably make little difference, except if you go bigger; but the brakes will still feel soft.

Replacing cables with something with a bit less stretch will help.

Replacing pads - you will be limited with pad options, as there will be very few options for the specific brake. Because its lower end, one tend not to get the variety you get with hydraulic. 

Cable brakes need adjustment very often, and does not auto adjust like hydraulics.

Sucks that they're integrated. Then would have just put on hydros. Maybe just change the calipers. But my spyres cost quite a bit. This is why I still believe in rim brakes for kiddies bikes. Also. Kiddies get fingers jammed in disks.

I have done some maintenance on a kids bike with cable-disc brakes.

They work perfectly for the speed and weight that it was designed for.

QUESTION - was it always bad, or did it lose stopping power ?

My GUESS - dirty brake pads, most likely got some cleaning solvent on it ....  try scouring it with fine sand paper.  If the solvent has soaked into the pad then scouring works for a few stops only - just long enough to confirm it is the pads.

Define 'huge amounts of money'?

I bought a set of cable actuated hydro calipers for R1850 zar off E-bay for my Gravel Bike. They are fantastic. Super easy to set up and stopping power + modulation is fantastic.

I have got compressionless housing but I think they will work brilliantly anyway.

Huge amounts would be the cost of replacing shifters, brakes derailleur and cassette vs a new cable that will do the trick or new pads.

Avid BB7's, the Road version (It has a shorter pull than the MTB version). Will be the cheapest option and they do the job. 

Anything else will probably cost more than what you paid for the bicycle. 

1. Replace the pads?
  2. Replace the rotors?
  4. Replace all three?

The spongy brakes can be improved through using metal cable ends and cutting the housing with a Dremel to make sure its square and not crushed.

Even if you replace the calipers with hydraulic calipers (actuated by the cable and lever) its still a good idea to clean up the current installation that is likely flawed.

I'm guessing this bike cost less than R8000-00 so spending R8000-00 to upgrade it doesn't seem sensible,

Which model Totem is it?

I have a set off 7 speed shifters that I got few years ago still in the box.

I am sure you can find hydraulic brakes for cheap, entry level. Will see if I can find them at home.

Marc at attitude cycles sells Bravvos hydrolic brakes. Really not expensive. And it works really well. 

Just to clarify. My daughter is 17, so it's not a kids bike. I bought it for her, just to have a bike. She rarely rides, other than the odd family Sunday trip to the shops. If she puts on 10km a month, it is a lot.

Not sure of the model, but it's one of the better Totems (if you get such a thing). It has an alum frame, Quando wheels and Tourney components. All of which I thought would be good enough for her riding. Seems the brakes were a let down. I got the bike second hand, but the owner never rode it. The condition is brilliant.

As per some of the suggestions, perhaps I should clean everything up first and scour the pads. See what effect that has.

brakes have always been rubbish, but then I can't say how they were with the previous owner. 

The spongy brakes can be improved through using metal cable ends and cutting the housing with a Dremel to make sure its square and not crushed.

Even if you replace the calipers with hydraulic calipers (actuated by the cable and lever) its still a good idea to clean up the current installation that is likely flawed.

I'm guessing this bike cost less than R8000-00 so spending R8000-00 to upgrade it doesn't seem sensible,

Which model Totem is it?

Not sure of the model.

I have a whole lot of metal cable ends. maybe I should put them on. I see your point. This would mean less flex.

Not sure of the model.

I have a whole lot of metal cable ends. maybe I should put them on. I see your point. This would mean less flex.

also clean the rotors. they;re likely heavily contaminated form being touched and handled.

Use some Isopropyl alcohol

Is any part of the brake lever made of plastic?

A buddy of mine asked me to give his totem a tune up a few months ago and nothing would get the brakes right. The whole lever assembly was made of plastic and basically flexed as you pulled the lever.

If either the lever blade or mount is plastic I would strongly recommend changing these. Unfortunately in your case this would mean new shifters. If I recall correctly 8 speed shifters should be fine with a 7 speed cassette and derailleur.

If you try to upgrade to 8 speed at the same time I think you would have trouble fitting a 8 speed cassette onto a 7 speed freehub. Actually, if the bike is 7 speed it may have a freewheel instead of a freehub and cassette which means a upgrade is even more complex.

Archived