Best Flight Deal from CPT to JFK

New Landy new life

I am planning on visiting my daughter in USA in August as I haven't seen her in almost a year now.

Any recommendations of which airline to make use of for a good deal ?

I don't mind layovers if it will reduce the costs.

Thanks in advance. 

www.skyscanner.net

Put in the dates, or monthly low rates, and it will find the cheapest flights. Just watch out for the VERY long flights that adds a stop over of 12 - 22 hours at some Airport you don't want to be

If you're up to date on your Vitality (and if you are with Discovery) you probably won't be able to beat Emirate's price once you factor in the discount, otherwise, do what Wil6 said.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to apply for access to the USA using my European Passport at the following  esta.cbp.dhs.gov website for the USA Customs Department, but I have hit a slight roadblock in that they are asking me for 1.  A national identification number and 2. A personal identification number, neither of which appear on my German Passport.

I tried to call the USA Visa Department in RSA but they have no idea nor are willing to assist as they only deal with the normal application route.

The reason I am applying this way is that apparently with a German Passport I don't need to go through the standard visa approval and it happens online.

Anyone done this before or know where I could get help in completing the online form ?

I am trying to apply for access to the USA using my European Passport at the following  esta.cbp.dhs.gov website for the USA Customs Department, but I have hit a slight roadblock in that they are asking me for 1.  A national identification number and 2. A personal identification number, neither of which appear on my German Passport.

I tried to call the USA Visa Department in RSA but they have no idea nor are willing to assist as they only deal with the normal application route.

The reason I am applying this way is that apparently with a German Passport I don't need to go through the standard visa approval and it happens online.

Anyone done this before or know where I could get help in completing the online form ?

HI i have done this many times as i travel on a dutch passport to USA. You just need the ESTA. Fill in your SA ID number or whatever ID number you have. It works.

BTW AUgust is peak holiday period. So you should book well ahead. SAA to New York or Washington via Dakar are probably going to be your cheapest options. I always go via London on BA or Virgin but also depends where in the USA you are going - East or West coast makes huge difference. the return trip via London can be very long in terms of stopover if coming from the West Coast.

Dubai/Emirates are also an option or Etihad but the leg from Dubai to USA is LOOOONNNGGG.It also goes East rather than West over the top. Never done it as its too long but their planes are new and the entertainment is good so you cn while away the hours watching movies and the like. 

I go  on business so i really just want to get there and back with as little transition through airports as i can get. But no mater what you do you cant avoid a stop somewhere and then onwards.

Atlanta via Delta is a good option but its often expensive and also a very long single flight. Its normally a 777. The Atlanta airport is probably the one i dislike the most though - its massive and very confusing - many people i know have bene stuck there including me.

Any wya you go you are looking at upwards of 16 to 20 hours in Economy barring stops, of course depending on the side of USA you are looking at.

Edited by Paul Ruinaard

AAh i see you say JFK. So New York. Now that's a cool town. Best would be SAA direct probably or Dubai/Emirates/Etihad for cost savings.

my ex travel agent buddy always advises to bounce around dates on travelstart.co.za - literally changing a date one day earlier or later can make up to 3 or 4k difference. 

post-44041-0-85287900-1560417479_thumb.png

post-44041-0-26786700-1560417668_thumb.png

emmirates and SAA look to be cheapest at just under 14k (excluding whatever reward partner doodabs you might have)

Edited by Uni

After a few days searching, SAA was best deal R13240 return (there is a cheaper Kenya Air flight but more stops, longer duration). Mid-week is always cheaper. The SAA option is CTN-JHB-JFK with short stops in JHB both ways. Just a quick word about seating...if you want to pre-book seats, it'll cost you.....there were no free seats when I booked...for leg room on the international legs...up R1200! If you don't pre-book, not sure that you will get these free if they are still available on check in.

Edited by capediver

Thanks all, ticket booked via SAA  and it looks like the online Visa Application went through OK using my RSA Identity Number - let's hope I get confirmation of the Visa in 72 hours as promised.

$14 was not a  bad price for a visa - having a foreign passport has it's perks.

• 4 weeks later...