[Event] EWC 3 Jonkershoek Enduro

Enduro Western Cape

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a mistake to go out and buy a new helmet and debut it at an event like that IMO. Helmets and saddles can quickly become torture devices. You might get lucky or you could have a massive headache 3 hours in.

For the below average punter like me that whole day is going to be about energy, feeding, heart rate and water management. It's going to be a 5000 calorie day. Most crashes are going to be fatigue/brainfade related. The best way to stay off the deck is to stay hydrated and fed.

Torture devices to add to that list would be new supplements / drinks that you've not got used to. Seen a couple of mates change up drinks / bars before a race and later squatting at the side of the trail wishing they hadn't!

A proper feeding strategy and keeping on top of hydration are 2 things that will get you to the end better when alot of fitter and more talented guys are dropping. Hydration is some thing that is very hard to get back in front of once you start suffering so get that in place from the go (in fact before the go). Feeding should be broken down in to the basics of protein and carbs you need to fuel per hour and go from there. Remember everyone is different so like your bike, suspension and the rest you need to know what works for you well before hand. 

Torture devices to add to that list would be new supplements / drinks that you've not got used to. Seen a couple of mates change up drinks / bars before a race and later squatting at the side of the trail wishing they hadn't!

A proper feeding strategy and keeping on top of hydration are 2 things that will get you to the end better when alot of fitter and more talented guys are dropping. Hydration is some thing that is very hard to get back in front of once you start suffering so get that in place from the go (in fact before the go). Feeding should be broken down in to the basics of protein and carbs you need to fuel per hour and go from there. Remember everyone is different so like your bike, suspension and the rest you need to know what works for you well before hand. 

THIS. 

I felt a HUUUGE difference mid-race on the Conters enduro when I started taking on a carbo drink instead of just water and protein. Used the same strategy at Hoogies enduro and I felt stronger than I had in ages, even so far as to have Savage comment on it :lol: 

Carb drink, energy bars (used to use PVM back in the day but I find em too chewy and mouth-drying) and jelly babies, together with some billies. That's gonna be my strategy. Wondering whether to take my pack for the day. It can take 3l instead of the 1.5 I have on the bike and bum bag... BUT, it's heavy and I'm not as used to it anymore. Plus, a bare back is far nicer. 

Decisions. 

For a full face only option have a look at Fox Proframe (the newest version). Apparently very light and breathable with removable chin pads - so it can be ridden as a full face all the time.

If the Leatt convertible one fits you it's probably the best value for money option.

But yes, as Myles mentioned, you cannot remove your helmet for climbs.

+1 on the proframe. I struggled breathing in a full face for my first ride, especially on the ups, but now remove the padding on the ups, and have been very happy since. 

Has definitely saved me a couple of times, and finding that I'm opting for the full face more often than not.

Remember everyone is different 

This is so true.

I'm talking road here but I rarely spend 4 hours straight on a mountain bike. My on bike feeding strategy has changed over the years. I've done the gels, bars and even dates. Nowadays for a round the point jaunt my other half throws together a protein shake that we have mid ride. A mid ride coffee, that and a bottle gets me round no worries.

But it's ACTUALLY what I put in the night before that makes a difference for me.

Having said all that I did top of iron monkey then the fun parts of armageddon to the bottom plus phoenix and Zululand and I was pretty poked on Saturday. I tried my best to maintain control of my HR but the heat made it very hard. I've been working my @rse off on fitness this year and I'm very unsure that I'll actually finish.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

+1 on the proframe. I struggled breathing in a full face for my first ride, especially on the ups, but now remove the padding on the ups, and have been very happy since. 

Has definitely saved me a couple of times, and finding that I'm opting for the full face more often than not.

Problem is, the ProFrame isn't made for wide heads. I'm a 62 and the lid just would not fit. Leatt was fine, the Giro was LOVELY (just felt perfect) but local availability was limited at the time and I didn't want to end up paying 5k for a lid, so went with the Leatt. 

can't comment on the Bell 2r / 3r / DH as I haven't tried them, but helmets are extremely fit-dependent, and head shapes vary wildly. 

This is so true.

I'm talking road here but I rarely spend 4 hours straight on a mountain bike. My on bike feeding strategy has changed over the years. I've done the gels, bars and even dates. Nowadays for a round the point jaunt my other half throws together a protein shake that we have mid ride. A mid ride coffee, that and a bottle gets me round no worries.

But it's ACTUALLY what I put in the night before that makes a difference for me.

yeah, for rides where I'm just with mates I go slower, and try to "train" on the minimum IE water. Works for most, but with Enduro I invariably go harder to ensure I'm not last to drop in to the stages. Need help for those extra efforts, so that I don't get to the top feeling like a pap snoek. 

Like a growler of pale ale and a couple of wines the night before hot ride up tokai. Massive difference to... well.. alot. 

Hahaha. Had to suck the coffee off my keyboard now.

Yesterday I was too poked to do a road ride so we did a spinning class. The instructor chirps that he was drinking Gin & Tonic out of a 750ml squeezy bottle on Sat so we had a LOT of sugar to work off.

It was a horror show. Apart from not being able to get anywhere near my max HR there were rivers of sweat pouring off me. The guy drilled us properly.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

For those of you that need some inspiration to stay on your bike and to keep moving at the enduro, this little guy was lying right across the trail as we came around a corner yesterday... Took a couple of minutes before he allowed us past.

post-4198-0-71476700-1568019515_thumb.jpg

This is so true.

Having said all that I did top of iron monkey then the fun parts of armageddon to the bottom plus phoenix and Zululand and I was pretty poked on Saturday. I tried my best to maintain control of my HR but the heat made it very hard. I've been working my @rse off on fitness this year and I'm very unsure that I'll actually finish.

The heat was pretty encompassing on the weekend.

We rode up and did Iron Monkey top to bottom ironing out one or 2 things. 1. I will not be taking the right hand line on either of the main features.

That top rock drop is well above my pay grade and the second one is actually way easier than the 'chicken line' that everyone rode last year.

I wonder if we will ride Both Armageddon and Iron Monkey top to bottom with 2 tag IN points at the top or if we will join Iron Monkey one contour down at the old 'top' and not use the split.....

I just hope it's a bit cooler or for some sort of breeze come October 6th, otherwise sjoe.....

The heat was pretty encompassing on the weekend.

We rode up and did Iron Monkey top to bottom ironing out one or 2 things. 1. I will not be taking the right hand line on either of the main features.

That top rock drop is well above my pay grade and the second one is actually way easier than the 'chicken line' that everyone rode last year.

I wonder if we will ride Both Armageddon and Iron Monkey top to bottom with 2 tag IN points at the top or if we will join Iron Monkey one contour down at the old 'top' and not use the split.....

I just hope it's a bit cooler or for some sort of breeze come October 6th, otherwise sjoe.....

I cant imagine the heat yesterday..We better pray, and leave black helmets home ;) Not even to mention the Full face debate.. The answer is no people!

Mmm.. I hope we take the last Contour and ride straight to the top of Iron Monkey. That last climb up to saaltjie is the worst ever!

Do you hit those top Doubles on DH1 ? I haven't ridden them since that time with the side wind when I crashed my balls off over there :cursing:  The first wasn't so big but pretty long, then that big one.

Pray for a cool day.

I cant imagine the heat yesterday..We better pray, and leave black helmets home ;) Not even to mention the Full face debate.. The answer is no people!

Mmm.. I hope we take the last Contour and ride straight to the top of Iron Monkey. That last climb up to saaltjie is the worst ever!

Do you hit those top Doubles on DH1 ? I haven't ridden them since that time with the side wind when I crashed my balls off over there :cursing:  The first wasn't so big but pretty long, then that big one.

Pray for a cool day.

Those doubles have owned me too! I have definitely needed a lawyer for all the cases I have made there. 

On a windy day I don't even bother. Rubber on the ground as much as possible. As a baby daddy and a hands on business owner I can't afford to be out of action due to unnecessary heroics!

RE the weather.... The weather brings what the weather brings and we all need to make changes accordingly. Just pack some rehydrates, a big cup of cement tea and as Scar said, Be Prepared.....

Like a growler of pale ale and a couple of wines the night before hot ride up tokai. Massive difference to... well.. alot. 

A good curry and red wine - rather just stay in bed next time

Those doubles have owned me too! I have definitely needed a lawyer for all the cases I have made there. 

On a windy day I don't even bother. Rubber on the ground as much as possible. As a baby daddy and a hands on business owner I can't afford to be out of action due to unnecessary heroics!

RE the weather.... The weather brings what the weather brings and we all need to make changes accordingly. Just pack some rehydrates, a big cup of cement tea and as Scar said, Be Prepared.....

Tell me about it.. Kids, work etc.. No one is going to think I'm being funny when I pitch up at home with my arm in a sling.. I walked away from my crash there in June, bruised and some scabs but I've definitely stuffed my neck up. One only gets one body, and I'm only half way in this life.

It definitely knocked my confidence a bit though. I never use to second guess stuff and would just go, trusting my skills and the trail. Now I second guess the bigger stuff which is k@k, and probably more dangerous. Even the doubles section on Zululand makes me second guess myself now. Before I'd just hit everything blind.