Fixing my bike or upgrade it ?

Jbr

Hi guys, I bought in december a Momsen Vipa (2014/15 ? not sure about the year). I did a little more than 1000kms with that bike, including probably about 200kms on the road.

Since I bought it, it went through 2 major services the 1st month, then 1 suspensions service about 2 months later and 1 pivots service last week (wheel + frame bearings were all replaced).

After that last one I took it for a test ride at Meerendal (cape town) after a rainy day, so the bike was veeeeery muddy. After a thorough wash, my fourks isn't working properly (like it would compress once, then be blocked completely for a while, and randomly compress again later but it's mostly blocked...)

+

my rear brake lever has had a slow leak for a while, that nobody has been able to fix yet, causing massive brake fade. I had to swap my brake lines arounds to have some rear brake and go through the weekend... Just bled them now they are fine but I know it will come back soon...

59593374_10155955220086637_8023674953960

Also the drive train was 75% worn when I took it to it's 2nd major service (according to the workshop, it doesn't look that bad to me, but I don't know much about bicycles)

So now, a 1000kms after buying the bike, I'm facing a choice : Should I fix it for cheap and replace it with a new(er) one before the next issue comes up ?

OR should I spend a bit more and get ahead of things ?

I'm going to europe next week, so I can shop there and replace those levers for quite cheap :

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-xt-brake-lever-bl-m8000-right-624802

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-xt-brake-lever-bl-m8000-left-624800

For my fourks, when they did the suspensions service, they said the fourks will have to be sent to rockshox soon to replace some internals, and that this full factory service will be pricy (I think I recall something around R4K...). Is it worth doing it, or should I try and find a decent 2nd hand one here to replace it with ? Or upgrade with a new one if I decide to keep the bike ? I mean below R5K I can get one of these :

Lastly, if I keep the bike, I will have to replace the drive train soonish, if I do, I'd like to convert to a 1x11, but I'm not sure what sizes would allow me to go up our durbanville climbs without suffering more than I already do ?

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-xt-1x11-speed-m8000-group-11-46-with-i-spec-b-without-disc-brakes-619179

(They have lots of options, doesn't even have to be shimano..., what are your thoughts ?)

Sorry that was quite a long post, I'm really not sure what to do here :D

Edited by Jbr

Great bike that Vipa. Take your fork to Droo at Stoke suspension for a service or at least a second opinion.

What brakes you got fitted currently? Some can be serviced, others not.

You could probably keep your crank and just pick up an x11 or x12 upgrade kit, then get a front 1x ring from Rapide or Lyne. CWC have some good specials on upgrade kits quite regularly. I'm very happy with my 1x10 even on Tokai/ Newlands/ Kirstenbosch.

Replace your chain a bit earlier next time and you will get more life out of your cassette etc

I already have shimano XT brakes but older than the ones on the link (the top is chrome), I complained a few times about that brake fade issue to CWC, Cycle Teknix and Cycles direct, I'm tired of hearing "it's fine we bled them" so I'll replace them, swapping around the brake lines made me realise the hoses and calipers are fine, it's only the one lever, so I'll replace both to have the same  ;)

I must check what it would cost me to buy the chain ring/cassette/derailer/chain here compaired to the full set in europe, things are usally so much cheaper there...

Thanks for the recommendation for the suspensions, I'll go tomorrow, I didn't know them, might also ask them to look at the shock while they're at it, CWC told me they believe it would have to be serviced soon because they felt a click when they tested the bike after replacing the pivots,  but they serviced it like 3 month ago....! (They made me feel it, it's no big deal, but maybe worth getting a pro's opinion)

what sizes do you use on your 1x10 ?
Edited by Jbr

I may be keen on your stuffed fork depending on the model and stanchion condition.

If going 1x10, a 30t ring with a 10/11-42 should be fine for anything Durbanville can throw at you.

Ask Droo for his opinion on the rest of the bike condition. He won't BS you.

I'll take pictures tomorrow before I drop the bike for an assessment, if I don't fix it I'll replace it so you're welcome to make me an offer, I'll DM you with the pics tomorrow ;)

I may be keen on your stuffed fork depending on the model and stanchion condition.

hahaha

Come on you know, you want that shiny new steed and you deserve it.....

Unfortunately the Shimano's can't be serviced, so as you said new levers if you have issues. Could also look around in the classifieds here. Some good deals occasionally. Get Droo too take a look while he is at it. He will give a straight forward honest opinion.

You need to learn to service your own bike. Not rocket science.

Even the fork you can do.

Ask Droo what the problem with the brakes could be as it might just be some air in the system.

Go to YouTube and have a look at some videos on servicing your bike.

You need to learn to service your own bike. Not rocket science.

Even the fork you can do.

Ask Droo what the problem with the brakes could be as it might just be some air in the system.

Go to YouTube and have a look at some videos on servicing your bike.

I have 3 race motorbikes, one road motorbike and two bicycles, if I had to service all of my bikes myself I wouldn't have time to ride... Now that I got so much k*k with 3 different workshops on my MTB I'm definitely going to do more myself, but not the suspensions...

Definitely buy ALL parts in Europe! Way cheaper. Just got to find a way to get them past customs. Roll em in some dirt and say 2nd hand.

If you have some spare space, I have my eye on some XX1 carbon cranks....

Custom duties usually kick in after 500€, last time I brought lots of motorcycle parts and the guy didnt ask for invoices, gave him some random prices on each part and ended up paying a couple hundred rands. Hopefully it goes as smooth this time ;)

Edited by Jbr

Sounds to me like finding a decent, trustworthy bike shop will solve most of your issues, but maybe look for a unicorn at the same time. Otherwise fix it yourself. Bikes are really simple and easy to work on once you know how.

There's nothing wrong with those M785 XT brakes. I bought mine in 2015 and have transferred them over to three different bikes. My suggestion would be to follow this guys post and service them yourself: 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/155987-fixworkaround-shimano-xt-m785-brake-lever/ - If you mess it up you can always get yourself a new pair in Europe  :D

I do not trust the majority of bike shops, some (not all of them) are just "spare part fitters" and do not know how to fix something unless its really obvious  :whistling:

Having done only around 1000km and you've had to do 2 major services and a shock service tells me that either you wash your bike with cutting paste or the bike shops are taking you for a ride. 

A drivetrain can last (and I do it most of the time) for around 4000km - the chain can last around 1500-2000km, easily. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a chain wear tool: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/chain-wear-indicator-11464

The golden rule I follow: Just about every ride or whenever I feel its time, I measure the chain wear. If the chain is at 0.75 wear replace it (It's a very quick check and if I'm busy washing and lubing the bike the extra 30 seconds to measure the chain before applying the lube gives me piece of mind). You can push it to 0.5 but this starts to mess up the other components like the cassette.

Going 1 x 11 will make a massive difference to your riding experience. I have a 1x11 with a 46T at the back. In the front I have a 32T and a 34T oval depending on the terrain. 32T is actually the sweet spot for a lot of cyclists. 

I will not replace the bike, as mentioned before, the Vipa is a great bike, I would just upgrade the components  :thumbup:

There's nothing wrong with those M785 XT brakes. I bought mine in 2015 and have transferred them over to three different bikes. My suggestion would be to follow this guys post and service them yourself: 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/155987-fixworkaround-shimano-xt-m785-brake-lever/ - If you mess it up you can always get yourself a new pair in Europe  :D

I do not trust the majority of bike shops, some (not all of them) are just "spare part fitters" and do not know how to fix something unless its really obvious  :whistling:

Having done only around 1000km and you've had to do 2 major services and a shock service tells me that either you wash your bike with cutting paste or the bike shops are taking you for a ride. 

A drivetrain can last (and I do it most of the time) for around 4000km - the chain can last around 1500-2000km, easily. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a chain wear tool: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/chain-wear-indicator-11464

The golden rule I follow: Just about every ride or whenever I feel its time, I measure the chain wear. If the chain is at 0.75 wear replace it (It's a very quick check and if I'm busy washing and lubing the bike the extra 30 seconds to measure the chain before applying the lube gives me piece of mind). You can push it to 0.5 but this starts to mess up the other components like the cassette.

Going 1 x 11 will make a massive difference to your riding experience. I have a 1x11 with a 46T at the back. In the front I have a 32T and a 34T oval depending on the terrain. 32T is actually the sweet spot for a lot of cyclists. 

I will not replace the bike, as mentioned before, the Vipa is a great bike, I would just upgrade the components  :thumbup:

Obviously the bike was very second hand when I bought it. I didn't say I worn the drivetrain myself during the 1000kms I did with it, they said it was 75% worn when I took it in when I bought it. Now it seems to be the only thing that works like a charm on this bike, so I might keep it that way for a while and fit the 1x11 on it later, but I know myself, I probably won't :D

I can still keep the old one on the side and put it back on when I sell the bike one day though ;)

I heard a lot of criticism towards the shimano XT 11x46 cassette, I chose to go for 30T/11x42 cassette, the gear ratio on the easier gear is the same as what I currently have (26x36), am I making a mistake ? Should I go for 32/11x46 ?

I'm flying on thursday to europe for a week, and droping the bike today to have an opinion on the forks, so I won't be able to look at the brake levers unfortunately, but thanks for the link, I wish I had found it last week so I at least would have had brakes this weekend for our MTB trip to Greyton !