Trek Procaliber => Gravel Bike

Hi Johan, hi Chris,

I'm sitting in the E Cape until mid-Jan and the bike is in JHB. Will try to remember to take a few piccies and post when I'm back.

It might surprise you but I seem to have lost a bit of interest in the bike. I originally conceived it for events like Race to the Sun but have now become so comfortable with my normal dual sus marathon bike that I'm not sure if it (the hybrid) still makes sense. The result is that while the project is "complete" for a few months already now, I haven't yet put any pedals on it, much less done a bike fit. A bit of a shame though as everything is still brand new and never used. [emoji85] Will take another look at it all when I'm back.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, some long overdue pics as promised. As mentioned, haven't used it yet. But picking it up now, it feels quite light so think I must start using it. Feeling a mild sense of motivation again... Will need to go for a bike fit first though. Haven't got round to finding a solution for mounting the lockout lever for the front suspension (stock lever is for smaller diameter MTB bars) but not sure if it really matters. Will probably figure that out when I get round to using it.

PS: Salter luggage mechanical spring balance says 11kg. That's pretty much the factory weight for the bike in stock factory form, so nothing really gained or lost on that aspect. Stock gravel bikes tend to be lighter.

So, con is it's heavier than a normal gravel bike. Pros... Suspension and slack geometry. And was for me a lot cheaper to build than Trek's cheapest aluminium gravel bike.

Weight could be got down a bit by using better components here and there. But the biggest weight factor is under my shirt!

c91e2fd54497120380586e2b6cdcbbaa.jpge41bfb901dbac83a2e3127066e974f55.jpga5905c1716ae83326ffbc814fae33346.jpgfccc034646941bbccff6669447ae6e33.jpg6bf01ef76d1cab89c57d5a3c65ca985b.jpgb5e141c9e76e7a74751ce25c31a8455b.jpg

Edited by MudLark

Why ruin it by putting road bars on? Just ride it, as that what it's made for, gravel and dirt?

Looks great.

What brake calipers are on there? Been wondering if you can mix shimano road hydraulic levers with mountain calipers.

Would change the fork to a rigid carbon and let the tyres be the suspension for the dirt road riding, will save a lot of weight too.

I did something similar once, rode it for a few days up and down Breedtsnek ... Decided it was a totally confused bike, put the flat bars back and now it's just an MTB like it always was and more fun.

I prefer my gravel bikes with rigid forks though so maybe don't mind me?ce4afdf26f4d4d0454f31928a1d7c442.jpg

Why ruin it by putting road bars on? Just ride it, as that what it's made for, gravel and dirt?

My thoughts exactly, but you'll never know if your don't try!

Because I am more comfortable on drop bars than flat bars. And it's all very easily reversible.

Looks great.

What brake calipers are on there? Been wondering if you can mix shimano road hydraulic levers with mountain calipers.

Stock factory MTB calipers. Yes, you can mix them.

Would change the fork to a rigid carbon and let the tyres be the suspension for the dirt road riding, will save a lot of weight too.

No, that would defeat the whole object. I sometimes ride farm and countryroads where even decent dual sus bikes eventually result in numb hands and no normal gravel bike will be even remotely liveable - you won't survive an hour on a normal gravel bike. The idea here was to create a "gravel bike" that would be usable on such roads. Decent front suspension and a flexy rear to absorb some buzz seems like a good option. I was motivated to do this after:

A. Having test ridden a Procaliber and realised it would lend itself well to this type of conversion. Especially with the front shocks and the Isoflex system.

B. Having read some posts and pictures by someone in the US who also converted a Procaliber in exactly this way (using precisely what components though I am not sure) and who found it very successful and raved about it.

C. Doing more homework and concluding that the slack. MTB geometry would be far safer and more manageable - especially on long, fast, rough downhills - than standard gravel bike geometry.

D. Finding a new Procaliber for a unbelievably low price, which enabled me to build this, all components included, for far less than Trek's cheapest new gravel bike (aluminium Checkpoint).

E. When Shimano brought out their ten speed Tiagra hydraulic road shifters, which would enable me to mate these to the existing SLX drivetrain (didn't want to spend too much).

It's all fully reversible to the original condition. An hour or so of labour.

All that said, I really want a Niner MCR too and may yet land one here.

Because I am more comfortable on drop bars than flat bars. And it's all very easily reversible.

Vice versa for me, hence my comment. Enjoy the ride.

• 7 months later...

Been riding this bike a bit today for the first time after fitting a 35mm stem, new seatpost and pedals and doing a rough setup. My oath but the thing works brilliantly. It's waaay better than what I was hoping for. It's got really good handling, it rolls and climbs well on the 43 Panaracer SK Gravelkings and oh man, its comfortable. It's really good!

• 2 years later...

@MudLark Where are you with this build a couple of years down the line? Still riding it etc?

Edited by Dusty

16 minutes ago, Dusty said:

@MudLark Where are you with this build a couple of years down the line? Still riding it etc?

Hi Dusty, I still have it. I put a pair of Race King 2.2s on it. I sometimes ride it. It's a bit heavier than I would like but it really is a 'go anywhere, do anything' sort of bike.

Awesome. Thanks for the response. Frame looks like the business for this sort of build.

• 8 months later...

Update for those who care. I'm still riding this bike and I must admit that it has become my favourite bike. It's not for serious trails and its not for fast road races. But if you just want to go ride - just want to grab a bike and go ride for a few hours - this is it. I have a Spez Diverge (2017/7) as well that weighs a bit over 7k (carbon everything) and this bike is a lot heavier but I still prefer this bike. While the weight isn't entirely ideal and I still haven't figured out a plan around the front shock lockout, I absolutely love this bike.