[Event] Takealot Jock Classic

PRFullstop

It's so nice to see Valancia Rider 956 recieve motor pacing on stage 3 passing me at 48kmh. Don't know fot how long but it was long. Finally caught him about 5km from the end with a mixed groul from A and B.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First time doing The Jock and what a race! what I didn't appreciate though was to see those E-bikes passing us when we were suffering on the Long Tom pass. The good thing that was heart warming was to see the Sabie Primary School kids in their uniform marshaling us towards their school. Still undecided if I will do this race again.

First time doing The Jock and what a race! what I didn't appreciate though was to see those E-bikes passing us when we were suffering on the Long Tom pass. The good thing that was heart warming was to see the Sabie Primary School kids in their uniform marshaling us towards their school. Still undecided if I will do this race again.

I wanted to ask the e bikes riders who are they racing, themselves or the motors in their bikes? It is a #a# feeling being passed by 1 of those things grinding your way up longtom or spitskop and they pass you without breaking a sweat.

Doing a race like this on a ebike is like riding the route in car.

Also got passed by an ebiker both up Spitzkop and Longtom, same guy from BL group.  Have to agree is *** watching him go effortlessly up them as am grinding in granny with sweat stinging my eyes

I wonder about the longivity of this race going forward. Dwindling numbers, licenced groups being joined? Seems to get smaller and smaller each year. Sign of the times maybe? Not sure I'll do it again.
Thanks to the schools - hope they at least make some money out of the event? Would have been nice to purchase a shirt or something for the event - but nothing? Anyway, lekker tough route, nice to ride in some heat and get away from the highveld cold mornings.  ;) 

For a race that advertises the challenge of climbing etc, it does seem incongruous that ebikes are allowed. But if numbers are dwindling then I suppose organisers have little choice. Maybe they need to be a little more creative in their advertising? Same deal with 947 (Joburg's 'toughest' race...)

I wonder about the longivity of this race going forward. Dwindling numbers, licenced groups being joined? Seems to get smaller and smaller each year. Sign of the times maybe? Not sure I'll do it again.

Thanks to the schools - hope they at least make some money out of the event? Would have been nice to purchase a shirt or something for the event - but nothing? Anyway, lekker tough route, nice to ride in some heat and get away from the highveld cold mornings.  ;)

At prize giving, it was stated that numbers were up by 16%. How true that is I don't know, but numbers seemed less than last year

At prize giving, it was stated that numbers were up by 16%. How true that is I don't know, but numbers seemed less than last year

335 finishers in 2018 vs 425 in 2019

Sjoe those are pretty low numbers :huh: ?

Given that I am more used to Mtb races and their numbers , are those the norm when it comes to road races ? ( I am of course not talking about 94.7 and Argus ) .

From memory the Jock site said they are capped at 800 entrants ( could be wrong).

Sjoe those are pretty low numbers :huh: ?

Given that I am more used to Mtb races and their numbers , are those the norm when it comes to road races ? ( I am of course not talking about 94.7 and Argus ) .

Those are only the people that had timing chips. Alot of riders in the open category did not want to spend money on a day license or chip.

I spoke with one of the race organisers on the day. They said they had 650 paid entries, which is up 16% from last year.

It is one of the few races that increased their numbers from last year.

All in all I found the venue better than the previous year and a lot more vibey.

The routes were well marked, roads were in pristine condition, great marshaling and great food at the schools.

About the ebikes that everyone complaining about (I am not an ebiker, so don't tune me), but they are allowed to enter in the open category, where it is not racing. I don't mind that).

It does look way too easy when they pass you, but you know you actually getting exercise, while they just broom broom.

Amazing race, will be back next year!

Those are only the people that had timing chips. Alot of riders in the open category did not want to spend money on a day license or chip.

I spoke with one of the race organisers on the day. They said they had 650 paid entries, which is up 16% from last year.

It is one of the few races that increased their numbers from last year.

All in all I found the venue better than the previous year and a lot more vibey.

The routes were well marked, roads were in pristine condition, great marshaling and great food at the schools.

About the ebikes that everyone complaining about (I am not an ebiker, so don't tune me), but they are allowed to enter in the open category, where it is not racing. I don't mind that).

It does look way too easy when they pass you, but you know you actually getting exercise, while they just broom broom.

Amazing race, will be back next year!

Should then have their own category as the results are now incorrect as one ebiker passed me up spitzkop and then again up Longtom in stage 3 from a seeding batch behind me, therefore I presume finished before me.... which would not be the case if he was cycling under his own ability.  

His result if also in the open seeding will also give him the wrong seeding for future events where ebikes are not allowed.

Is that the case? I.e. your racetec event time isn't 'flagged' as ebike assisted? I didn't realise that...

Should then have their own category as the results are now incorrect as one ebiker passed me up spitzkop and then again up Longtom in stage 3 from a seeding batch behind me, therefore I presume finished before me.... which would not be the case if he was cycling under his own ability.

His result if also in the open seeding will also give him the wrong seeding for future events where ebikes are not allowed.