Mugged - Myciti Cycle route Cape Town CBD to Blouberg

JonnyCT

Hi Guys

Was mugged today of my iPhone x, wallet and work bag (luckily left my laptop at home) cycling the route outside of town just under the bridge before you get to Paarden Eiland Bus Stop (Woodstock area). Guy rammed me off my bike then proceeded to threaten me with a knife whilst his accomplice kept a lookout

They dispersed rather quickly following the incident however alarmingly as one of the perpetrators approached the top of the bridge to cross the highway - a security services bakkie, with 2 workers, on the bus route offered little to no help at all which was most disturbing. He could clearly see the guy approaching the top of the bridge. - Almost played dumb - and drove no more than 30kmh at speed in that direction. Very appalling!

Anyway, I was a clear target as 2 cycle groups passed me a little earlier in the opposing direction and saw these guys in the distance as I came down the first hill approaching under the bridge.  They clearly planned the attack with the quiet gap. Thought nothing of it as I've ridden the route several times over the last year despite hearing of incidents I never thought I'd be a part of that number

They never wanted the bike to my surprise and demanded I take it and leave immediately

This route needs more security somehow - especially the Woodstock and Paarden Eiland area

Be safe and vigilant out there hubbers! Safety in numbers!

Jono 

Hi Guys

Was mugged today of my iPhone x, wallet and work bag (luckily left my laptop at home) cycling the route outside of town just under the bridge before you get to Paarden Eiland Bus Stop (Woodstock area). Guy rammed me off my bike then proceeded to threaten me with a knife whilst his accomplice kept a lookout

They dispersed rather quickly following the incident however alarmingly as one of the perpetrators approached the top of the bridge to cross the highway - a security services bakkie, with 2 workers, on the bus route offered little to no help at all which was most disturbing. He could clearly see the guy approaching the top of the bridge. - Almost played dumb - and drove no more than 30kmh at speed in that direction. Very appalling!

Anyway, I was a clear target as 2 cycle groups passed me a little earlier in the opposing direction and saw these guys in the distance as I came down the first hill approaching under the bridge.  They clearly planned the attack with the quiet gap. Thought nothing of it as I've ridden the route several times over the last year despite hearing of incidents I never thought I'd be a part of that number

They never wanted the bike to my surprise and demanded I take it and leave immediately

This route needs more security somehow - especially the Woodstock and Paarden Eiland area

Jono

Hi Jono

Really sorry this happened to you. What time was this as we are usually a large group leaving town and it could have been us you passed.

Please drop me a pm if I can help in any way, even if it is just to help you find a commuting buddy from that direction into town as we know by now who the regulars are and can arrange introductions etc.

J

Hi Guys

Jono

Sorry to hear. Best of luck

Hi Jono

Really sorry this happened to you. What time was this as we are usually a large group leaving town and it could have been us you passed.

Please drop me a pm if I can help in any way, even if it is just to help you find a commuting buddy from that direction into town as we know by now who the regulars are and can arrange introductions etc.

J

Hi Hairy, thanks much appreciated. The cycle groups were however coming into town around the 5.40pm mark as I was leaving en route home. I will DM you shortly 

Sorry to hear about the incident. Be glad you are at least uharmed and you still have your bike. Now about that bike insurance!!!  :thumbdown:

Sorry to hear

Has happened a couple of times before ,even to Alan Winde and his body guard.

There must be camera footage of that area,ask Paarden eiland Improvement district to look into it

Sorry to hear. This bridge has always been unsafe. Commuting in a group isn't always feasible so I'd recommend taking the N1 in and out of the CBD. It's a short stretch with a wide shoulder and at peak times the traffic is crawling so it's safe enough

Sorry to hear

Has happened a couple of times before ,even to Alan Winde and his body guard.

There must be camera footage of that area,ask Paarden eiland Improvement district to look into it

Thanks will do

Sorry to hear about your experience. It is pretty scary when someone mugs you with a knife. You must report this crime so SAPS.

You can also call Detective Gerry based at Woodstock police station. His ddi is 0214862865 and he can assist you trying to catch these guys. Would you be able to identify the muggers? There has been a particular person that seems to operate in this area that they are trying to catch. 

Stay safe 

Hi Nobbynic

I had a good look at his face yes.

I had a Sarg Swanson make contact

Jono

Can you track your phone's location?

should be able to ... if memory serves, this is how Alan Winde found his phone....he also had an iphone!

Archived