Wahoo Kickr vs Kickr Core

hodg55

Yes if you're using Zwift and plan on racing. The gearing on MTB means that on flat races you spin out.

The realism setting compensates for this. Keep it at 50% and you should never spin out nor run out of gears on a climb. You end up using your 4/5 middle gears only

When buying a cheapie for the trainer .... any reason to go either road bike or MTB ?

Personally I know the current MTB's better than the road bikes, even have a lot of spares.  So it may be cheaper to fix an old 26'' for the trainer .... if I can find a 26'' LARGE frame (in the Republic of the Western Cape)...

Agree. I've set up my old 26' MTB on my Directo and it works great.

I have an old Kickr 1, with my sons laptop an a 32" Tv with a Silverback mountain bike, subscribed for Zwift for winter months, I suppose Apple TV would be cheaper than a laptop.

Edited by Dexter-morgan

dug out the old dumb-trainer ....

not interactive ... but still works up a nice sweat !!

post-110956-0-19488700-1562785661_thumb.jpg

PS - okay when idling along .... not so much when you power up and it sounds like a swarm of bees .....

Edited by ChrisF

I have an old Kickr 1, with my sons laptop an a 32" Tv with a Silverback mountain bike, subscribed for Zwift for winter months, I suppose Apple TV would be cheaper than a laptop.

would love to hear what the Hubbers use ....

I have a spare (old) laptop .... would need to check the specs, but doubt it would run the graphics ....  Also have a NUC, but know if this will do the job ....

fall back would be to use my current laptop, but would prefer not to ....

I have a spare (old) laptop .... would need to check the specs, but doubt it would run the graphics ....  Also have a NUC, but know if this will do the job ....

I run my Zwift on a Intel NUC with no problems. 

The Nuc is used for video cameras and Zwift only.

I have a spare (old) laptop .... would need to check the specs, but doubt it would run the graphics .... Also have a NUC, but know if this will do the job ....

I tried an old, 2010-odd, laptop. Seemed to have enough oomph to do Zwift but after one update Zwift just said that the Graphics card is too old. So just check it out.

Sufferfest worked fine though.

I run my Zwift on a Intel NUC with no problems. 

The Nuc is used for video cameras and Zwift only.

thats very good news !!  Never used the NUC for what I bought it ... would be nice to get some use out of it.  The remote keyboard may be very handy ....

Take it that this would then be okay for most of the other options as well.  Want to try out the different options.  What I THINK I want :

- the adaptive load of a smart trainer

- some video/graphic of the ride

- may try some training programs, but not the main interest at this stage

Not fussed about the "multi-player" interactive side of things ....  I ride too slow, and at wierd hours ...

Pretty sure my wish list shall be adapted and modified and contorted as I actually experience what these packages do offer ....

EDIT - thank you for all the input and ideas.  So this is what my system looks like  :thumbup:   :clap:

post-110956-0-01251400-1563121694_thumb.jpg

and the screen can fold away ...

post-110956-0-25900200-1563121709_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

If you want to play Zwift at 1080p60 then you will need a decent dedicated graphics card - either desktop or laptop.

I use my T540p for Zwifting but the display card (not a gaming card) can only output 720p30. Fine for me but all depends on the user using it.

thats very good news !!  Never used the NUC for what I bought it ... would be nice to get some use out of it.  The remote keyboard may be very handy ....

Take it that this would then be okay for most of the other options as well.  Want to try out the different options.  What I THINK I want :

- the adaptive load of a smart trainer

- some video/graphic of the ride

- may try some training programs, but not the main interest at this stage

Not fussed about the "multi-player" interactive side of things ....  I ride too slow, and at wierd hours ...

Pretty sure my wish list shall be adapted and modified and contorted as I actually experience what these packages do offer ....

Smart trainers can be had from about R4000 2nd hand, if you are willing to settle for Wheel-on trainers like the Kickr Snap. But they do have their draw backs.

Wheel-off ones like the Kickr are convenient in the sense of no roll-down required, just get on and ride, but you pay way more, from R9000 upwards if you are lucky.

If you will be using different bikes on the trainer, i.e. road and MTB, then the height of the Kickr4 being adjustable is useful. If it's just for a road bike, Core does everything needed.

Couple of numbers for those may want to know ....

The Kickr 4 is height adjustable to match your bike.

The Kickr CORE has a fixed axle height of 330mm.

I measured the following shaft heights - which would clearly vary depending on your tire selection.

Road bike axle height = 340mm.  As such my trainer setup has the bars raised by 10mm

26'' MTB(26x2,1) axle height = 333mm, depending on the tire pressure and tire wear the bike will run level.

29'' MTB (29x2,35) axle height = 370mm.