29er Slicks

Wolfie

I am starting to put in the miles for the upcoming Amashova Cycle Race and usually enter the MTB Batch to ride the race. However my wife hasn't ridden her HT Mountain Bike in ages and it's just collecting dust. One of my mates suggested I convert the HT into a Gravel/Road Bike by adding slicks. I fitted Continental Comfort Contact 28x1.75 with wire beading and took the bike for a ride. Along the way to my horror I developed a front wheel puncture and the tyre came right off the rim. Sportsman Warehouse are advertising 700x35c/29x1.5 Slick Tyres and I'm a bit hesitant now - What's the general feeling about this?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very scary to hear that the tyre came off the rim. Were you trying to run in tubeless?

Nothing wrong with the Conti Comfort Contact, so I'd be surprised if it was a total tyre failure because of puncture.

The Chaoyang tyres from Sportsmans are ok. Nothing special.

If you really want good slicks for your bike, try the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They are dynamite, but quite expensive.

I ride a fair bit of gravel from my home - every ride includes 20km of tar - I suggest using the ride farr gravel tyres - they are bulletproof and roll brilliantly.  I'm convinced they roll almost as well as my roadbikes.  They occasionally hit patches of trail and rocky downhills and I have yet to puncture in 1100kms so far

Order a set, they'll arrive in a few days and you'll be happy

I run a set of those chaoyang's on my MTB bike for road rides - they are very inexpensive.   In about 600km's I had one puncture on the rear from a 4 cm rivet that I picked up at the very busy intersection at Eeufees and Botha.    I felt it immediately when the wheel went flat and stopped - always have a spare tube and levers so fixed it.    

I run them on a 22mm internal dia. rim and they work well.   I often hit the gravel side of the road with them and they keep me steady but require much more handling skills compared to my MTB tyres.  

Like said, nothing special but they work and are in my opinion good bang for buck for a normal MTB workout rider like myself on road.   I would not run them as Gravel tyres though, I believe there are better tyres more suited for keeping you fast and steady on Gravel sections but will cost a bit more than the Chaoyangs

Nothing wrong with the Chingkie tyres, bang for buck. Especially for a commute!! You dont wanne role with a fancier brand just to get NAILED, happened on my first ride on gravel tyres, hit a 7cm wood nail at a crossing, tyre foobar!!

Chaoyang Viper, 35c or Kenda Flintridge Pro 700/40c 

Been running the Kenda Flintridge for a while now and I love it. Fantastic all rounder for road, gravel and commuting at a decent price.

+1 on the Kenda Flintridge. I have been riding mine on the Jonkershoek jeep tracks and now a lot on the roads in and around Durbanville for more than a year now without any problems.

Chaoyang Viper, 35c or Kenda Flintridge Pro 700/40c 

Been running the Kenda Flintridge for a while now and I love it. Fantastic all rounder for road, gravel and commuting at a decent price.

What would the minimum allowable rim width be for the 700 x 35c slicks. I am busy planning a commuter.

And then a possibly very stupid question.....Can 29er rims work on a road bike frame?

What would the minimum allowable rim width be for the 700 x 35c slicks. I am busy planning a commuter.

And then a possibly very stupid question.....Can 29er rims work on a road bike frame?

29er rims = Road wheels.... Same same

29er rims = Road wheels.... Same same

That widens the possibilities for my commuter, and 29er rims are wider in any case. I would need to use v-brakes though.

This topic has definitely helped me.

anyone used the Maxis Rambler ??

They appear to be good tyres - get lots of good reviews.

My go to gravel tyre is the Panaracer Gravelking SK. Fairly expensive, but they are long lasting and are great on and off road. I have done around 4500km on them and they are both still going strong!