[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic Road Race

Frosty

Most cyclist, dont know the half of it  :eek:

Having some behind the scenes experience and being part of events, makes you realize just how much goes into it.

Let me add some expenses to your list:  Medics with ambulance on site, metro police, venue for registration/start/finish, marshals at intersections, food for marshals (some of them get dropped off at their positions at 5am and picked up at 3pm), reflective vests and flags for marshals, vehicle/bus for marshals, Road Rangers / ThinkBike Marshals, sound system, MC, safety officer, venue for race control, photographer, lead out vehicle, video guys,  timing, water points, drink, food and man power at water points, sweep vehicle, cleaning crew, municipality agreements, applications to go through national parks must be submitted a year in advance, permits, prize money, podium, backdrop, petrol for all the vehicles on the road... I can go on but you should get the picture by now :D

Aaaaand... after all that, you have not spent one cent marketing the event!

No point in having it all set up and no one turns up!

Oh and sponsors are not lining up to splash out hundreds of thousands to see little to none on return.

Lets start an event, it will be easy they said.

We have just received a bill for R107k from EMPD, which is double compared to last year, plus they leave early, arrive late and stand around watching/easting/doing squat. They know we can't go anywhere else, as the race cannot go ahead without them. Extortion, blackmail, or whatever you call it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take my smack like a man.  :oops:

All is forgiven...  :rolleyes:

Road seeding is out. 

I guess I'm asking the wrong person if the same can be said of the MTB?

All is forgiven...  :rolleyes:

LoL moment of madness comment on my part. Having been involved ( if fixing potholes, painting warnings at dodgy sections and been route marshal counts) previously with your race i should have known better.  :P

All is forgiven... :rolleyes:

Recieved an email with my start time for the MTB race

Despite the initial weather (lightning) turned out a cracker 'race'! Well done as always Gerald and the Germiston Wheelers team. Special shout out to the DOC riders manning water points, the best support.

That was pretty fun, glad I did it, didnt do as badly as I thought I would either which was a bonus

Thanks for supporting the event - and we're glad you enjoyed it.

Despite the initial weather (lightning) turned out a cracker 'race'! Well done as always Gerald and the Germiston Wheelers team. Special shout out to the DOC riders manning water points, the best support.

They certain help make this event a great experience.

post-1372-0-80528900-1572098001_thumb.png

Edited by Frosty

I was close to the start on my road bike, then decided after my comment and avoid any physical harm to me to put safety first and hightail out of there.  :ph34r:

post-7-0-74352400-1572098299.jpg

I had a few people moan about getting wet and dirty (muddy) - I was also on my bike, in the rain, and actually enjoyed it early on. Reminder to self... take #MTB shoes with tomorrow and not trail run shoes.

I had a few people moan about getting wet and dirty (muddy) - I was also on my bike, in the rain, and actually enjoyed it early on. Reminder to self... take #MTB shoes with tomorrow and not trail run shoes.

Moaning? You're kidding me right ....