Momsen Race vs Momsen Trail

+ Ryperd +

Good afternoon all. I am looking at the Momsen range, and need assistance. What is the better choice between the Race and Trail? I am no technical rider yet, the aim is to get into stage riding like the Sani and the Joberg2C. Which will be better suited to a 47 year old male with a slight boep and not so racing built?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O ja, I will consider other brands as well. The Momsens are well prices currently on their www. ????????

Edited by + Ryperd +

Good afternoon all. I am looking at the Momsen range, and need assistance. What is the better choice between the Race and Trail? I am no technical rider yet, the aim is to get into stage riding like the Sani and the Joberg2C. Which will be better suited to a 47 year old male with a slight boep and not so racing built?

Probably the trail. How tall are you?

The trail is a bit slacker and general riding, not as race focused with an aggro set up. 

The trail because first and most importantly it looks better! Then because of the more relaxed angles it will be more comfortable and stable on the trails.

I test rode both earlier this year. The Race was a bit too extreme to my liking, although extremely efficient. 

If I was to park a Momsen in my collection, it would be the Trail, due to the 120mm fork. 

Probably the trail. How tall are you?

The trail is a bit slacker and general riding, not as race focused with an aggro set up.

1.88m. I am no racing snake.

Ryperd I currently own the Momsen Race One - but i did buy the frame only and did a custom build. For the days where you want to give it the beans and race the wheels off it - one of the best bikes i have been on, BUT if I had the choice of a do over, I would go with the trail.

post-46780-0-11309500-1565123129_thumb.jpg

Edited by ValeYellow

How much truth in the stories about poor frame quality on the Momsens?

This was also something I was originally concerned by, I am somewhere north of 90kg, and ride it pretty hard - to date no issues - but it is covered by insurance :thumbup:

How much truth in the stories about poor frame quality on the Momsens?

That does come up often.

Ryperd a few random thoughts ...

SIZE ... whatever brand and model you buy, please invest in a proper bike-fit.  When you start out, a slightly smaller frame and upright seating position "feels" better ... but as soon as you get going the small frame results in issues ....  sadly many of us have bought the bike that was in stock, to later take a big hit when having to sell and buy the right size ....

FRAME vs COMPONENTS .... I have many friends that went the carbon frame route, with lesser components ... as components will be upgraded in due time .... I went for an Alu frame with the components I wanted ....  not a right or wrong thing, just worth noting when you see the jumps in prices .... KNOW that a "very good" price means some components have been "down graded" ....

LOCKOUT .... another very personal thing .... I LOVE the look of a clean bike .... but I love the functionality of a twin-lockout system even more !!  To be able to change the shock setting without having to take your hands off the bars is VERY handy !

The Scott Spark 940 ticked the right boxes for me. VERY happy with it !!!

Epic Comp EVO maybe? Dropper post and 120 fork, very nice for be also being a ballie at 99kg :ph34r:

I would definitely suggest trying one of these. In fact, most importantly ask your LBS if you can take any of your options out for a test ride. We can all give different opinions but nothing will help make up your mind like putting some km's in on different bikes.

I tried the Epic Expert EVO out in October last year when it wasn't anywhere near my list of potential bikes. Last week I purchased it. And I say it because I ended up buying the exact bike I test road  :ph34r:

Side note: I'm also quite a tall rider (1.92) and can't describe how comfortable I feel on it be it on a trail, road or jeep track.